It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Study: 3 federal laws could reduce gun deaths by more than 90%"

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

You did not answer my question as to why? Gun violence is on a decline for decades, and you want to put barriers to gun rights ... for what purpose? To make "you" feel artificially safer at the cost of law abidding gun owners?

And yes microchipping and microstamping are easily defeated. The microchip or the microstamping parts are not functionally necessary for the gun to function, therefore removing them or defaceing them will defeat them. And what will the laws do in a couple of years when metal 3d printing becomes more affordable?
edit on 13-3-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

I need your evidence for that. The last data I saw was mass gun deaths are up, which concerns me personally.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: anton74

I can't answer that because from what I can tell they did not distinguish suicides from the data.

No the didn't, that tells me they manipulated the numbers to support an agenda. Now the legitimacy of this research is doubtful.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

I need your evidence for that. The last data I saw was mass gun deaths are up, which concerns me personally.

I would also like to see what percentage are Suicide and Homicide.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   

FBI stats ... very easy just google. Mass shooting account for only a small faction of gun deaths each year. Here's also something that you may not take into account most mass shooting occurs in "Gun Free" Zones, perhaps getting rid of these zones will reduce mass shootings. Another thing is that there are many more instances of Defensive Gun use that saved people than there are total gun violence deaths. If you look at even a conservative figure from the National Crime and Victimization Survey there are at least 200,000 defensive gun use every year.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:40 PM
link   

If they pass these laws, maybe 90% of defensive gun use will also stop.

Kind of makes you wonder the real reason for these laws.

link   

Pew research

Between 1993 and 2000, the gun homicide rate dropped by nearly half, from 7.0 homicides to 3.8 homicides per 100,000 people. Since then, the gun homicide rate has remained relatively flat. From 2009 to 2014, the most recent year data are available, the number of gun homicides has hovered around 11,000 and 12,000 per year.

By contrast, a significantly higher – and growing – number of gun deaths were by suicide than by homicide, and this has been true throughout the past two decades. For example, while the gun suicide rate has declined overall since 1993, in recent years it has risen, from 6.3 per 100,000 people in 2010 to 6.7 in 2014.

The nation’s overall gun death rate has declined 31% since 1993. This total includes homicides and suicides, in addition to a smaller number of fatal police shootings, accidental shooting deaths and those of undetermined intent. For example, in 2014 there were 464 fatal police shootings, up from 333 in 2009. (Government data on fatal police shootings are also collected and reported by the FBI, though the agency acknowledges there are discrepancies between federal and local law enforcement counts.)

We are in a much better place with gun death in this country, I know the numbers still seem big.. but in a country of 330 million people I think we are in a fairly good place.

link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Or you can call it the black market, for a short rant.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Gun Control is usually about converting emotional "feelings" of those who are naive to effect real "control" over the general population.
edit on 13-3-2016 by joemoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: luciferslight

Yeah, I go on rants in these threads. I can't help myself. Lol

And like Mom said on page one, we simply repeat the same stuff in every single one of these threads.

One side wants "newer super-duper extra lawey laws", and the other side wants our current laws to be enforced.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

What if we got rid of about 25 of the existing ones and replaced them with 3?

How about we get rid of all of them?

Criminal people commit criminal acts.
Killing people is against the law, even if you don't use a firearm. Banning murder doesn't stop murder, banning heroin doesn't stop heroin, banning alcohol didn't stop alcohol.

Creating more laws creates more criminals- while reducing the rights and freedoms of otherwise good people.
Nobody wins.

Ban them- go ahead. Ban guns, ban bullets, ban kitchen knives, ban pipes. Ban sticks and rocks.
Ban mace, ban tazers, ban fists and violent thoughts. Ban video games, ban movies. When all is said and done we'll get to bask in the glow of the ad-box and eat our bowls of sugar in silence.

You'll never stop criminals, you'll only find that you yourself have become one when someone else decides you shouldn't have the right to do whatever it is you're doing, and has that banned.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Guns save lives every day.

I wonder if the anti-gun crowd is okay with the increase in death due to no guns.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:53 PM
link   

It certainly won't stop gun crime, or gun related deaths.

First: People already have plenty of ammo. I've got just over 1,000 rounds here at home for various guns I have. That's just me. Others will have more or less.

If it looks like a law like this might get passed, the word will be out and people will be buying up ammo like crazy...including criminals.

You don't need 100 rounds to rob a store or bank. You don't need hundreds of rounds to kill a lot of people either. Some nut decides to go on a shooting spree, they'll just scrounge up what they can and go.

The only thing that passing laws on ammo like this will do is:

Hurt the manufactures and put people out of work.
Make it to where law abiding gun owners can't afford the ammo. And if they run out of bullets, then yah, it would be just the same as if the gov came and took the guns (so tell me again OP how this isn't the same as taking the guns? It isn't).

The stupid thing is: you can press your own ammo as long as you save your brass. Bullets do not have to have a copper jacket to work. You can get lead quite easily, smelt it (it has a very low melting point) and pour into a mold.
Primers can be made easily, and....even if they remove the ability to buy gun powder, anyone that knows chemistry well enough can make black powder just fine (it's dirtier to use, but it does work just fine).

Seriously. This would be about as affective as the war on drugs was....:rolling my eyes:.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

The whole debate on gun control is so wrong to begin with.

Creating laws that would make you a criminal is ex post facto and is illegal.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Absolutely agree. Hence my comments on Prohibition.

Laws like this just don't work. All they do is help erode freedoms as they help set a precedent so that more laws that have even more restrictions can be made. The whole history of gun laws starting with the 1934 Gun Act shows this. They are laws that were made due to knee jerk reactions, in which people thought it would make them safer, when in reality they are nothing more than laws that violate our constitutional rights.

And yes, we do let laws get passed due to knee jerk reactions based on fear. Patriot Act anyone?

Bottom line is: if you want people to stop killing other people, don't go after the weapon, go after the reasoning behind the killings.

But instead of actually doing that, instead, sadly, people want to use it to simply still try to take away guns.

With freedom comes responsibility. Too many people can't handle that type of responsibility and instead desire to have someone act as their parent instead. Telling what they can or can't own, what they can or can't eat and drink, what they can or can not put in their bodies.

Hence all the Nanny State laws that get passed. And for any that try to step up against those laws? They get labeled by the people that want them in place........

.....until the government comes along and takes something away from them that they wanted. Oh boy! Then suddenly they act all surprised and upset.

smh

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: eriktheawful

The whole debate on gun control is so wrong to begin with.

Creating laws that would make you a criminal is ex post facto and is illegal.

Wait, there's a law against making laws that make law abiding citizens criminals?

Too many laws, I can't keep track.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 02:58 PM
link   
How much you wanna bet the majority of those prevented gun deaths they're crowing about are gun suicides? Are we really so sick that we're cheering the fact that we're preventing suicide by denying people who are suicidal the means to commit suicide?

Sorry. It's a sensitive topic, I know but if someone wants to die, I'm not here to stop them. Take guns out of the equation and they're still gonna want to die. You don't make someone not suicidal by narrowing their options for suicide methods. The guns aren't making them suicidal. Maybe they're suicidal because they live in a society that doesn't respect their right to make a choice. Who knows? But I know guns don't cause depression.
edit on 13-3-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ArnoldNonymous

I had never heard of Louder with Crowder. You sir, have sent me on an hours long binge. I don't know if I love you, or hate you for it. Either way, I'm definitely grateful for that gun show video you posted. Every time I try to explain that the "gun show loophole" isn't nearly what it's played up to be, no one wants to believe me. Now I have an absolutely excellent video to set the matter straight.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Wonderful cut and paste. How did they track the powder and ball ammunition and how does the current United States Army track serial numbers on the ammunition?

There's really no point in arguing with MoMof3. In my personal opinion they troll ATS constantly, no sense in arguing wasting your wisdom on them.

We can't even enforce the laws we have now yet they want to make more? smh
edit on 13-3-2016 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

For a CCP, you have to take a 16 hour class that costs around 150 bucks and once done, submit your application to the States Police for their approval.

$200 for the classes, another $150 for the permit.
Trust me, I paid the slimy, blood sucking, do nothing, corrupt, sons of bit........
I paid the fees.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join