It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Study: 3 federal laws could reduce gun deaths by more than 90%"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
They should do background checks on heroin buyers and cut that problem by 90% too.
edit on b000000312016-03-13T10:46:55-05:0010America/ChicagoSun, 13 Mar 2016 10:46:55 -05001000000016 by butcherguy because: spelling

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

And I believe your conclusion is ignorant!

Your ideas are and have been implemented in this State for a long, long time and yet, we are one of the leading States in firearm related crimes!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
They should do background checks on heroin buyers and cut that problem by 90% too.

Common sense regulation of this product is all that is needed.

I say it is time for comprehensive heroin regulation in this country!

It can't fail!!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Heck yeah, background checks and waiting periods for heroin!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: joemoe

I don't recognize bullets as having rights. We track cars, computers, all sorts of material objects. It has always been the practice of militia's and armies to track the ammo.

The study weeded out which laws are ineffective in reducing deaths:

"Not all of the gun laws on states' books appeared to be effective. Indeed, of the 25 laws examined, nine initiatives - some of them dear to the hearts of gun-control advocates - were associated with increases in gun deaths. These included bans or restrictions on assault weapons, limits on the number of firearms a customer could purchase, and laws requiring locking devices on firearms available for sale."

The study found that when these three laws are implemented gun deaths go down:

Key study findings
These three measures were linked to substantial drops in gun-
related deaths:
1) Requiring universal background checks for firearms sales.
2) Requiring background checks for ammunition purchases.
3) Requiring gun owners to get firearms microchipped for identification purposes.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9
a reply to: butcherguy

Heck yeah, background checks and waiting periods for heroin!

Hey, I know.... Why don't we just pass some federal laws against killing people!

That should do it!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Now. now, temper. No one said confiscate ammo. Militias and armies have not always tracked their weapons?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3

Now. now, temper. No one said confiscate ammo. Militias and armies have not always tracked their weapons?

Dude, if you think I or half the people in this country are going to put electronic trackers on our firearms... your smoking something strong.

Will not comply

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:06 AM
link   

gun-related deaths

This means nothing.

What are you proposing to stop hammer-related deaths?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

No, all expect from you is the same.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:09 AM
link   

so your saying criminals who obtain their weapons illegally are going to voluntarily get their illegal firearms micro chipped so they can continue to use their illegally obtained firearms illegally? that does nothing but further harass legal and rightful gun owners who already go through a bunch of background checks.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:12 AM
link   
a reply to: roaland

There is no way to get guns out of the hands of criminals. But we don't have to sell them ammo. Do you make, sell, give away ammo?
edit on 13-3-2016 by MOMof3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I like the background checks and waiting periods for heroin.

Let's do it for meth while we're at it.

Also, soda- a product that is probably responsible for more deaths than any other product sold in this country.

I'm guessing you've never tried to purchase a firearm- background checks are a huge waste of time, and do nothing but make sure there's a database of who owns what.

Force me to go through a background check for 20 rounds of ammo when I'm on the way to the range- I guarantee the only thing you'll ensure is that I seek to obtain black market ammunition so that I don't have to deal with your interference in my life.

More laws == more criminals.

You want to decrease crime? Stop making new laws. It's already against the law to break the law, someone looking to break the law won't stop and think "oh, I've got to break NINE laws to kill that guy? #, I was only willing to break eight."

Stop it. You're making the world a worse place than it is already.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I think it insulting comparing sick drug addicts to responsible gun owners.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   

some shooters actually do make their own ammo. Its called reloads. its much cheaper then constantly buying ammo and is a viable way to shoot if you know what your doing. and actually to some shooters it makes for a nice hobby. so if there's no way to get the guns out of the hands of criminals why does everyone keep wanting to further restrict legal gun owns and constantly raise the cost of guns and ammo? Everyone knows criminals don't follow the laws and don't get their firearms legally so what makes you think their going to obtain their ammo legally either? your just opening up a new avenue for the black-market. You wanna reduce the crime? stop trying to pass laws that restrict the 2nd amendment that tells people like me they have to jump through more hoops that only raise the cost of a product.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

a reply to: roaland

There is no way to get guns out of the hands of criminals. But we don't have to sell them ammo. Do you make, sell, give away ammo?

If you make ammo illegal, it will be just like heroin... sold on street corners with no ID required.
If you tax it to the point that 'no one can afford it', there will be enterprising souls sell I ng it on the black market at a price well under the taxed price.
And yes, you can reload ammo in your basement, garage or back room. You can mix up priming materials yourself and remanutacture centerfire primers.. in your house.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

a reply to: lordcomac

I think it insulting comparing sick drug addicts to responsible gun owners.

I believe the comparison is for laws that don't work.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:25 AM
link   

It has always been the practice of militia's and armies to track the ammo.

Did you just make that up?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   

You do know many gun owner make their own ammo? They are called reloads. Small machines, some empty casings.

So tracking sales of ammo...like I bought 100 rounds today as a matter of fact, doesnt address the fact that a friend of mine is reloading 1000 empties today for 5 different handguns.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

What about buying and selling?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join