It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Study: 3 federal laws could reduce gun deaths by more than 90%"

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Finally, real scientific studies are being done on what really works to curb gun deaths. And it is not confiscation of guns. Background checks is the common deterrent of guns getting in the wrong hands. I like the idea of tracking the ammunition better than background checks.

"Because of the shortcomings of the firearms background checks, "we were very happy when we got the result that background checks for ammunition is effective, and could be more effective than (firearm) background checks alone," she said. Illinois, Massachusetts and New Jersey require a license or permit to buy ammunition.

The researchers found that nine of the 25 laws they analyzed were linked to higher rates of gun-related deaths. Another seven laws did not seem to have an impact one way or the other on gun-related deaths."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: MOMof3

Bullet control… just charge more for ammo.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Loved that. When it takes two jobs to afford the bullets, then there will be no innocent dead bystanders. paraphrasing.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Can they reduce deaths?

+24 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Really? You are using Hellinois as a positive argument for gun control?

You should have said, "scientific studies show criminals don't obey laws".

Here in Hellinois, you have to apply for a FOID card. You pay a fee (yes, we have to pay to exercise a fundamental right) and wait 6-8 weeks to get approved. Once approved, you still go through another background check for each firearm purchase and are subjected to the waiting periods.

For a CCP, you have to take a 16 hour class that costs around 150 bucks and once done, submit your application to the States Police for their approval.

As a law abiding "gun nut", I am forced to jump through a lot of hoops that cost me time and money. And yet, we are one of the leading States in firearm related crimes. HOW CAN THAT BE????

We are a State with some of the most restricted "common sense gun laws", yet our States "gun problem" is out of control. HOW CAN THAT BE???

Because criminals don't obey laws and when they get caught committing crimes, they don't face the penalties for their crimes.

STOP pleading for MORE laws and start DEMANDING our CURRENT laws are ENFORCED to their MAXIMUM extent.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

That was the subject of the study.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:25 AM
link   

You said gun deaths.. I was asking if these laws could really prevent death.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Read the study. Come to your conclusion.

+4 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:28 AM
link   

No they can't! No law can prevent death. EVER! That's not how laws work.

+12 more 
posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:33 AM
link   

This is ruinously false logic.

Most gun deaths are due to criminal activity. Criminals will obtain guns and ammo criminally.

Laws cannot stop this.

Duh.

link   

What is your conclusion?

link   

Yes, yes, read the study and trust the "scientists"!

How about you read the "stats" on firearm related crimes in Hellinois and realize that criminals don't obey "common sense" laws!

Leave my rights alone and focus your "common sense" on getting the criminals responsible for our problems held accountable for their misdeeds!

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   
So... you really think criminals will follow these magical laws?

Doesn't seem like they have so far.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Kawrider9 -

I agree with a lot of the things you said. Especially your mention of being a "law abiding gun nut." I too am entirely about the 2nd, and while I do not currently own a gun, I know for a fact that if I did I would never break any laws with it or hurt another person. NEVER. Just about everyone in my family owns a gun, none of them have ever even committed a crime, much less hurt someone. That being said, my family members are also all deeply religious and don't believe in harming others, regardless of the situation.

The violence in this country has nothing to do with guns and everything to do with a lack of morals and love for others. There is something deeply disturbing about our society and how far we have wandered from what is good. As many always say, you can keep adding more and more gun laws but only those who are law abiding citizens to begin with will follow. People who kill others are not law abiding citizens, clearly. There is a serious lack of regard for others in many communities across the country, Chicago is one disturbing example. Something needs to be done, but until people realize the REAL issue - which is violent, sick, evil, immoral people, not guns - nothing will change. Sure we can add background checks and more laws for ammunition, but this will not heal sick hearts intent on the harm of others.
edit on 13-3-2016 by JustAnObservation because: Meant for some of this to respond to a specific member, oops.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I read the article and it is an interesting idea, but I would like to see the actual research behind it. Then this quote caught my eye:

Although a federal policy known as the Brady Law requires background checks on individuals who want to buy a firearm from a licensed dealer, it leaves a large gap, as an estimated 40% of firearms are acquired through unlicensed sellers, such as some online and at gun shows.
(bolded text mine)

This is terribly misleading. Yes private gun sales do not require a background check, but any online gun sales sites would require the gun to be sent to a Federal Firearms Licensed dealer and they would run the background check. The only way the seller could sell his weapon to you without a background check would be to meet up in person for the transfer.

Gun shows are the same way. 99% of sellers at a gun show are licensed dealers (you need a background check). If they are a private seller, you do not need a background check. There is no gun show loophole!

Here is a good Washington Post article reviewing internet gun-buying
Internet Gun-buying

This video is comical, but this comedian goes visits a gun show in Indiana (where Obama blamed the reason for Chicago gun violence) and tries to buy a gun without getting a background check
Gun Show Loophole Exposed

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

We waste more time on ATS repeating ourselves because people are stuck in mental loops. I stated my conclusion.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Why make it harder for law abidding people to be armed, to fix a problem that is really on the decline?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: KawRider9

Apparently more laws can though.. at least that's what I heard from OP

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: MOMof3
a reply to: intrptr

Loved that. When it takes two jobs to afford the bullets, then there will be no innocent dead bystanders. paraphrasing.

Yes, just like prohibition and drugs... nobody would smuggle ammunition in to the country and sell it....

New mafia commodity.

Hint, criminals do not follow the law.

Law abiding citizens will not follow BS laws.

Laws only work when people follow them.

edit on 13-3-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: eXia7
So... you really think criminals will follow these magical laws?

Doesn't seem like they have so far.

It is because the next one will work, or the one after that... Etc

Einstein - insanity is trying the same thing over and over again, and expecting to get a different result.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join