It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Incredible Facts About the Orion Spacecraft

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:31 PM
link   
For those of you who have not looked at the new Orion Space Craft that NASA is saying we can reach Mars with in the next decade I present the following video. The capsule is certainly bigger and the heat shield has been beefed up to dissipate 4000 F of heat.. the rocket at lift off will produce 3.6 million pounds of thrust.. Good video about the rocket IMO

youtu.be...

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Would be great if you could summarize those 5 facts for people who cannot watch the video.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:53 PM
link   
a reply to: _BoneZ_

He/she mentioned four of those facts: 1) it will travel to Mars; 2) it is the largest crew capsule ever built; 3) it has 3.6M lbs of boost/thrust; and 4) it's heat shield can withstand 4000F.

The OP did a fine job of being succinct and provides a rather short, succinct video. Bang-up job.

S&F

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

Those first two arent particularly incredible though. What is the fifth though.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Was that one of the extra Saturn rocket engines that I heard was being tested a while back in that video? And are they just going to copy it or are they going to make a new type of engine?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Excellent! very informative. thanks for sharing.

The video's editor clearly got a little too excited and cut a few clips a bit short to go well with the music, but an interesting video nonetheless.

With the advent of new engine concepts, I wonder if that 9 month mark will be decreased by the time NASA launches?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:00 PM
link   
I wonder how 4 people are going to sit still for 9 months..

It is still a very small space to just "hang out" in for that long..

I couldn't do it....

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Still need the heavy lift rockets to get into microgravity before they can use those. The capsule doesn't appear to be married to a rocket engine in one of the stages.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Tiamat384

Traveling to Mars isn't "particularly incredible "? You let me know of something more particularly incredible that you have been a part of. Gotta feeling i'll be waiting forever.

And to placate your high threshold of particularly incredible, the capsule re-enters ar 20x the speed of a bullet. That's fact #5.

I'll be waiting on the particularly incredible tale you have of your exploits.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   
the real orion(the one that went out to the oort cloud) could do this in minutes not months. This is the white world ORION not the black box version.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: BeefNoMeat
a reply to: _BoneZ_

He/she mentioned four of those facts: 1) it will travel to Mars; 2) it is the largest crew capsule ever built; 3) it has 3.6M lbs of boost/thrust; and 4) it's heat shield can withstand 4000F.

The OP did a fine job of being succinct and provides a rather short, succinct video. Bang-up job.

S&F

Thank you some people are not happy unless you write several paragraphs while saying nothing. The only thing I felt I left out was the unique parachute system.. which needs to be seen to be appreciated IMO...
edit on 727thk16 by 727Sky because: ..

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: BeefNoMeat

What exactly is incredible about this specific design going to Mars? Of course there is a design going there...thereby not making this imcredible because it is obvious.

Oh goody you managed to actually provide some nice info

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:53 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Are you referring to the craft used in the breakaway civilization thread?

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:01 AM
link   
NASA has become nothing more than a embarrassment to us. All they ever talk about is their big plans to put man on mars,land a submarine on Europa, go back to the moon,mine asteroids, yadda, yadda, yadda. but we can't even launch our men to the space station! We have to buy $40,000,000 rocket motors from Russia!
I have also seen first hand deceit from NASA,faking space walks,etc,etc. I don't have time now but tomorrow i'll post a video of astronauts working on the Hubble, and one of the astronauts has a thumb less space glove on.His bare thumb exposed in space until Houston informs him that hey, we can see your bare thumb.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

I await your videos!

Sounds very interesting

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:41 AM
link   
a reply to: fartsmeller46

Don't ask questions. Just keep sending money.
What do you mean, you want results????
Can't see the vid but its another crock. Big plans, big bills, not much to show for it all is there?
Same old NASA. Spend more on self promotion than actual missions.
Keep on paying folks. Maybe someday they'll actually tell us where all that money goes while they hitch hike up with the Russians.
edit on 13-3-2016 by Tulpa because: Spilling

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 06:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Tulpa

NASA received $18 billion funding last year , we know what they are doing with it.
Files leaked by Snowden showed the US Black Budget received $52.6 billion in 2013 but we don't know what they are doing with that other than looking for new ways of killing people.

Same old NASA. Spend more on self promotion than actual missions.

The work carried out by NASA expands our knowledge of the Universe we live in , if you don't see that then you're not looking.

edit on 13-3-2016 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 09:00 AM
link   
The nuclear Orion was far better

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I'm being facetious for the sake of it. I know we learn a lot but I still think that the conspiracy element needs looking at.
My generation grew up dreaming about moon bases and trips to mars. Anything was supposed to be possible.
My biggest problem with space exploration as it stands is this... I don't believe the US would just dump the shuttle unless there was already a tried, tested and usable replacement.

I pretty much have no choice but to believe the public story. I always listen to the conspiracy stories about space (even the daft ones) simply because any kind of new program would be a handy way to funnel large quantities of cash around.
If you give someone a billion dollars to make you a sports car at some point you would expect to actually see a car. Then you can work out if its really worth a billion dollars.
Give them a billion to go up in space and we say "OK cool".

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa
the real orion(the one that went out to the oort cloud) could do this in minutes not months. This is the white world ORION not the black box version.

I must've missed that one. Do you have a link?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join