It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OV-10's used against ISIS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   
So apparently they used some old OV-10's recently. I love this idea especially considering they blew through the B1's in the same fight for no good reason.

During their deployment, the planes flew 120 combat missions against ISIS targets as part of the counter-ISIS coalition, said spokesman Capt. Bryant Davis of U.S. Central Command, which oversees military operations in the Middle East.

Article here (CNN)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: PhantomTwo

It was the only way to get the B-1s combat time in before they all had to go through the Depot for their upgrades.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 08:36 PM
link   
The OV-10 is one of my all time favorite aircraft, you name it and it can just about do it. I would hope this program proves these sort of aircraft are still needed. I`m sure a modern version of this warbird could fulfill the same roles today with modern avionics and engines.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: StratosFear

Found another source that talks about the deployment and the OV-10G+ aircraft used.
Combat Dragon II demonstrates OV-10G+
edit on 12-3-2016 by StratosFear because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 10:08 PM
link   
I flew as an aerial photographer on the OV-10s out of Bien Hoa RVN during the SEA War in 1969-70 with the 19th and 22nd TASS Squadrons. They were great aircraft for Forward Air Controllers (FACs) and did the job really well. When I got to Sembach in Germany in 1981 I recognized one of the tail numbers from the 22nd TASS I think. The aircraft were redeployed to Nellis as the environment in Central Europe wasn't good for their use there. Some of them went to the Philippines for use against insurgents and it appears some them made their way to the ISIL campaign. My best,

new topics

top topics

join