It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What would you name it?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Hello ATS folks! My friend is working on an artist collaborative group where I live. I don't want to give away where that is but it is in the United States.
It will have an artist residency, a gallery, and studio spaces. The name he gave it was The Contemporary Art Foundation of (the state in which he lives.)
I told him about this site, and thought I would run it by the crowd and see if any creative people add a far better name than that .
-apydomis
edit on 11-3-2016 by apydomis because: Change sentence

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: apydomis

Trichromatic.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Easy answer is use a name that puts you higher in the alphabet, more difficult answer is lots of names are LLC'd already and the name will come down to what's available.

Maybe checking with guidestar if this is already a non/for not-for profit org?
Check with your state to see if this name is already associated with an org?

Your friends group will need a website as well, make sure any combination you come up with can acquire a relevant domain name as well?

Good Luck!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Rainbow CAFE.

(please don't flame me)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Aha! Art Alliance

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   

my advice: Look into the Chinati Foundation in Marfa.

ETA: i don't mean this as a sleight....but someone founding an art institute should absolutely have more creativity than the name that was thrown out in the OP. Is he sure about getting into this?
edit on 3/11/2016 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
'The Third-Nostril of Bob's Sensory Excremeditation Chamber of Hyper-Slack.'

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   
" The world of art "

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Thanks to everyone who put forth some ideas.
Perhaps my friend and I may not be the most creative artists around, but that shouldn't stop a couple of people from a daydream- atleast not at first. I feel like I make engaging art, and I also feel that my friend makes some very engaging art. For instance, he did a performance art piece many years ago during a class- at first I thought it was a very boring art piece, until the end. And I don't know if he intended it that way. He tore pages out of a forest survival guide and then drew on them with color crayons. I was not yet impressed. Then he started handing them out to the audience, and the words that he had circled and underlined had a deep impact on me. It was unbelievable. And he didn't seem to have any intentions or motive other than to see what would happen. I don't think I shared my feelings at the time, but it impacted me.
His art was also somewhat plain and unrefined. But it has a stark but underlying intelligent message. I would say that he has tapped into something subconscious, whether it is deep or not I can't say. But it does resinate with me. And that can be said about my own art. I am not sure how it is recieved by others.
In defence of our decision to meet in an effort to start (another) contemparary art foundation, I should say that we both have a knack for understanding and relating to our own artist peers, young and old, male and female, and across the spectrum of styles and mediums.
So, to make a long story short. He has the administrative side of the collabortive effort of this artist group/foundation handled. He has an excellent grasp of the artistic vision. And he is an artist himself. My role is a bit less clear, and I have not yet stepped up to take a public responsiblity for it.
I am an artist (living in Montana), and I am also a construction contractor. So I work with construction materials and art materials, I can work with construction workers, designers, and other artists, and I know my way around the construction supply outlets. I would probably serve as a resident artist, and shop caretaker, as well as being on the councel/board.
Our thoughts on this place are that we would aquire a piece of land in an industrial area, like an abandened rail yard. We have a basic plan for what it would look like, what it would take to make it happen, and how it would be layed out to cater to introverted and extrovert artists, such as a sculpture yard, collaborative artist gallery/work area, a set of private and a set of public studios.
We have some plans for events to attract the community, and ideas to attract artists- Which we hope would come from all over the world. A way to bring the world to our community, and to reach out to the world through our small but growing town.
We are open to a lot of suggestion, but we do have ideas of our own, in fact the basic business structure, although we are only on meeting number 3. Left to our own devices, we could come up with a dazzling name- I am sure of that. But sometimes, coming up with the name for something is best left to the four winds. And that is, I guess, what I am doing.
I am standing a top the cliffs of ATS, knowing that I have it in myself to come up with a name, and I am looking over the precipice into the abyss (from about 15 feet away), and the wind is a little more than a breeze, maybe the random snow flake cought in the currents, pulled out of the dark clouds above threatening to call out a full on storm- Maybe something dangerous, but probably not the type of storm that would do anything to destroy me- Not like the storms of the past. And I say in my usual voice, but a bit more assertively, loud enough to be heard by someone down there over the cliff, "What would you name an art foundation!?"

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Pemptousia is Greek for "quintessence".

Thats the word that I felt when I read the last paragraph of this post.

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 12:22 PM
link   
"The United Federation of Artists"

But then again, I'm kinda of a Trekkie! And it is kind of catchy...

posted on Mar, 16 2016 @ 11:59 PM
link   
The republic of art institute .....or something with nature as your themes indicate a lot of nature....so....the art of nature institute ....natural art institute ......? Can it be called an academy ? Does it have to be institute ? How about the academy of natural,art .

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan
This is an intriguing word! At first look, It might be a bit more high minded than We have considered. I will look into it more. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1
Perhaps 100 years from now. It is a loft goal- the arts in space.

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: Meldionne1
Natural art is a nice image. I think that we are going for foundation. But maybe that is thinking small....
Think republic, federation, or even "The Nation of Arts"?

posted on Mar, 24 2016 @ 01:38 PM
link   
What about: Citizens of Art? - City - Zens - of Art.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
'The Third-Nostril of Bob's Sensory Excremeditation Chamber of Hyper-Slack.'

This could work for the name of the library and media center.

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Fantastic Artists Recognizing Talent

or

Site Having Artists Re-envisioning Techniques

posted on Mar, 29 2016 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Fantastic Artists Recognizing Talent

or

Site Having Artists Re-envisioning Techniques

Nice! We already thought of Fanatical Artist Renaissance Troup, and we might use it if nothing pans out.

top topics

join