It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb of Etruscan 'princess' unearthed in northern Lazio :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 06:04 AM
link   

A treasure-filled tomb, believed to belong to an an Etruscan princess from the eighth century BC, has been unearthed by archaeologists in Italy.

The ancient tomb was found in a burial chamber three metres below the ground in front of the ticket office at the archaeological site of Vulci in Lazio, which was once an important Etruscan city. But historians faced a race against time to stop the treasure from being pilfered by illegal diggers. “We had no idea the tomb was there, but carried out an emergency dig last month after we noticed looters had excavated another tomb that was above the princess's tomb,” 45 year-old site worker Tecla Del Papa told The Local. “The robbers had revealed, but not entered, the tomb below, so thanks to them, we were able to quickly find the burial chamber and quickly excavate it,” she added. Inside the tomb, archaeologists found the bones of a young girl wrapped in a fragile cloth.

Her remains were surrounded by valuable jewellery, pots and jars, some of which had been acquired on the international market. She had been buried with a Phoenecian amber necklace and two Egyptian scarabs made of gold, ivory and silver - beautiful and highly elaborate pieces that attest to the artistic prowess of the ancients and the wide extent of the seafaring Etruscans' trade links.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

Pls klik link for more pics and text.
First off I didn't know the extent the Etruscans were into Egyptica I knew of that famous vase they made of Herakles vs Busiris but didn't let it sank in how influenced they were .

Etruscan vase Herakles vs Busiris, the items above is a clear signal imo that these weren't mere curios of a rich girl but had deep cultural meaning.
edit on 11-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Interesting find, which was right under their feet all the time. Thanks for posting.

That vase btw, on close inspection, looks very much like a gay BDSM session to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: MysterX

That vase btw, on close inspection, looks very much like a gay BDSM session to me.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Yes, Egyptians and Etruscans traded... the scarab and faience are just lovely!

Great news story - thanks for posting it!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The 2 pieces you chose to share above are phenomenal. The scarab beetle...fantastic.

Immediately intrigued. Thanks for the post.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

Genuinely fascinating and thanks for sharing. I personally find the Etruscans to be one the most interesting and mysterious of ancient peoples'. Aside from anything, they built Rome and taught Rome how to fight (Temple of Jupiter, for example, was originally the Temple of Tinia).

Trade with Egypt is certainly not a suprise. I have read that some believe they originated over Sogdia / Margiana way, so aside from the dominance of Central and Northern Italy in later centuries they would certainly have come across the Egyptians during their travels.

top topics

join