It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An old loner's connfession. I need TV.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:51 PM
link   
The power went out for about 12 hours, and I once again saw how much I need TV and the internet to fill the hours before sleep.

And so I read the last 150 pages of Bob Dylan`s Chronicles, and it was nice to read a book.

But I am a retired loner, no family, no wife.

I need TV, and I need the internet, and so when the power came on, I felt really good.

I don`t watch trash but I need TV (and the internet) to fill the hours as I approach the end of my life or the end of the industrial system with the extinction of the humans that run it.. Which ever comes first.

I need TV and the internet to fill my time. If you feel this makes me a pathetic human, that is your judgement. Not mine.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: droid56

tv has become even more interesting now that i know all the symbols and subliminal messages to look for, not to mention the radical adgendas pushed on every media stage.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Makes you wonder how bat-snip crazy folks would go if an entire city went out for a few days.

You should have gone to the pub for a few pints and free wifi, after all, even retired loners need beer (with free wifi).

3 cheers for the electricity Gods for maintaining the sustenance we all so eagerly desire.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1

great point, it does add another element to your favorite tv shows.

and for the topic at hand do whatever makes you happy as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   
If your pathetic, I'm way more pathetic times ten because I have certain trash reality shows I watch. There are other shows like Grimm and Bates Motel that I have to follow.

I know I can live without TV because I have done so in the past. I figure if I can afford it, what's wrong with a little entertainment in the evenings? That's what TV is for, to be entertained, right?

My new thing is watching old Newhart reruns on YouTube before I go to sleep, they have a sleepy effect on me. I usually read a cozy mystery, but I've got a little fine at the library.

Hey if you are retired and watching TV is something you enjoy.. no harm done... as long as you take breaks with a little fresh air and exercise now and then.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

You don't need TV and the internet. You're used to it, and when it was temporarily down, you missed the familiarity of it.

But you don't need it. You read a book.

You'd adapt to something else if it wasn't there, like reading, writing.

You didn't miss the internet before it came.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:25 AM
link   
a reply to: CJCrawley

TV and the internet is addictive. If it was not there, the addiction would fade over time.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:29 AM
link   

We all develop as conscious beings in context of our environment. Some of that environment some label as 'bad', and some label 'good'. So like it or not, the TV is a colossal aspect of our modern environment whether we watch it or not. It' s impact on the species is undeniable.

Some swear it is evil.
I think it is what we make of it or what it makes of us, and most likely a balance of the two.
It is up to us to assess it's value to our individual enlightenment.
We can use it as a window or we can use it as a curtain.

edit on 31America/ChicagoFri, 11 Mar 2016 00:32:00 -0600Fri, 11 Mar 2016 00:32:00 -060016032016-03-11T00:32:00-06:001200000032 by TerryMcGuire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Anyone that gives you sh!t you just tell them to f!ck off.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56
The power went out for about 12 hours, and I once again saw how much I need TV and the internet to fill the hours before sleep.

And so I read the last 150 pages of Bob Dylan`s Chronicles, and it was nice to read a book.

I need TV, and I need the internet, and so when the power came on, I felt really good.

I don`t watch trash but I need TV (and the internet) to fill the hours as I approach the end of my life or the end of the industrial system with the extinction of the humans that run it.. Which ever comes first.

I need TV and the internet to fill my time. If you feel this makes me a pathetic human, that is your judgement. Not mine.

I appreciate your point. One day I many be in that situation myself.

We all see many heart rendering stories going round the net that finish with advice live life to the full etc.

I get criticized because all I want to do is get on the net and learn as much as I can about how the word really works and how defend ourselves against the system, how to beat debt collectors etc and so forth.

I don't have any desire to do anything else so I too need the net. Who knows though, one day I might wake up on morning and decide to get my lawn looking like a bowling green again and start walking to the park etc,

edit on 11-3-2016 by Azureblue because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
When I first lost cable I felt like that.

It took a month or two, but I eventually became accustomed to it. Now I don't watch TV at all, except a very few shows I love on streaming services or what not. If I couldn't afford them, I'm sure I'd adapt. Losing the internet would be far more difficult, as it's one of my sole venues for socialization (as a fellow loner lol.)

At the end of the day we don't need anything other than food, shelter, water, and possibly medication. But there is absolutely no shame in desiring a distraction or an experience. We all contrive one somehow. Even hermits living in the woods stare at the stars at night, or meditate, or hunt, or ... what have you. We all do something. It is our nature to seek out experiences, be told stories (or tell them to ourselves,) and engage in time passing activities.

Whether it's done via technology or more natural means matters not to me and I don't judge people's pastimes. Something isn't any less sacred because it needs electricity. What matters is the impetus for doing it, and what you get out of it, IMHO.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:24 AM
link   

We love tv and especially the box sets. However it only takes up a part of our lives and you're not alone with the part in your life that it plays. I don't think we should be ashamed of it whatsoever because some of it is interesting albeit a lot not. It depends on what programmes float your boat and whose to judge your preferences except yourself.

You're posting in winter time for us when we aren't going out so much so we watch tv more. The internet and especially U-tube with its brilliant, huge variety of things to watch, literally whatever your heart desires is a first for people and its wonderful - the wife loves the odd things on dressmaking which is something she occasionally enjoys doing. It saved her going on a course where yes she would have met others so it saves the extra hours on the phone as she keeps up with people etc (are not unwelcome exactly) but now she has the exact demonstration she needs to learn something she can't do and away she goes. We are setting up a fish tank with its help.

As you get older you aren't always so active and if you don't have family or are by nature a loner then its what you do - enjoy! (I always hope being older that if TSHTF we simply go with the first blast. I have no intention of hanging around for the mayhem - seen too much tv and films on this stuff to fancy it at all).

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: droid56

Ok - I'll put my head above the parapet on this one.

1. Have you found your equal

Why would people be stunned knowing you ?
Why do you deserve other people's respect ?
WHO was SHE to make you feel completely useless
Her mare Ego & Arrogance

- Tell me but HOW much is plastic really WORTH

Of course, never pretend to be what you are not but you don't need to know everything that you are right now, this minute.
It takes a lifetime to explore one's Inner Self, to understand what motivates one, to see what is at the core of one's being.

2. Always given unconditionally a F***

You can't trust them yet you still Consciously give yourself .
Till that LOVE her SELF shatters you into pieces with no remorse.
WHO was SHE to make you feel so worthless
Her mare Ego & Arrogance ..

- Tell me but HOW much is fake really WORTH

Be kind to yourself - first ...

3. Can love ever be fair ? I've learned the hard way

You know why CYBER works ?
People are so comically afraid of being abandoned.
Virtual walls allow people to keep slamming each other against one and you get to always rebuild .. that way you can never REALLY get HURT

- If you feel that doing that doesn't make me a pathetic human, that is your judgement. Not mine.

There's always hope and I will always wish you well in life.

Take your time and reveal only to others that aspect of yourself that'll get you into the least trouble
:

Just because you are a little awkward and like to read about TV shows and watch programmes about books that doesn't mean you are completly useless hun

56 False Flags

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 07:34 PM
link   
a reply to: android56
Hey android56, are you a bot or some kind of AI thing?
There is a thread dedicated to this question now and I figured I would cut to the chase and just ask you.
If you answer 'beep, beep, whir, whir', and such, I think we will have our answer.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

You know beep I think this beep is the perfect opportunity to tell the beep to drop the beep or I ain't picking him up

He can come friends have to slowly go

You know at some point love is more important then friendship ( frankly some people are wasting bots time and it's time consuming to me ) beep beep don't butcher the cat

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: thatsMine

Too late.
It was delicious, five spice powder and hoisin sauce.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: thatsMine

Too late.
It was delicious, five spice powder and hoisin sauce.

I heard it's a family favorite
edit on 12-3-2016 by thatsMine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:22 PM
link   

edit on 12-3-2016 by thatsMine because: I know u read it cause u like me
likewise

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 08:41 PM
link   

hey droid56, are you android56?

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:44 PM
link   
oh my nelson mandala.

top topics