It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wounded Warrior Project COO and CEO Fired in Lavish Spending Scandal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
In the wake of a CBS investigation questioning the millions of donated dollars being used for lavish parties and extravagance, WWP terminated it's top two officers. CEO Steven Nardizzi and COO Al Giordan were fired when when employees that witnessed frivolous expenditures and a lack of accountability by it's 2 top officials contacted Charity Navigator as to WWP change in status. CN then contacted CBS:

CBS first became alerted to the project's finances through the charity evaluator site Charity Navigator. The site rates charities based on their allocation of finances and their accountability and transparency. Though the project received a lower rating for the relatively low percentage of the budget that goes to direct services, it scored very high on accountability and transparency metrics.

Ryan Kules, a spokesman for the group, said, "It's the best use of donor dollars to ensure we are providing programs and services to our warriors and families at the highest quality." But CBS found that many employees of the project were concerned that the funds weren't going where they were most needed. Daniel Borochoff of CharityWatch told CBS that his biggest concern was the Wounded Warrior Project's $248 million dollar surplus; while the charity sits on this money, many veterans fail to get needed care.

patch.com...

In January, The Washington Times reported that dozens of former Wounded Warrior Project employees had accused the charity of needlessly spending millions of dollars in donations on lavish conferences and parties.

CBS News spoke to more than 40 former WWP employees who accused the charity of out-of-control spending. “Their mission is to honor and empower wounded warriors, but what the public doesn’t see is how they spend their money,” said Army Staff Sgt. Erick Millette, who recently quit his job as a public speaker for WWP. “You’re using our injuries, our darkest days, our hardships, to make money. So you can have these big parties.”

www.washingtontimes.com...

I have volunteered with WWP for the past 3 years. I am disturbed to say the least, and if proven to be true, want these 2 to be stripped of everything of personal value to offset the damage their decision-making has wrought. It won't balance the scales, but it's a start.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   
isn't it amazing how many "charities" came out of the wars? Like Sean Hannity's "Freedom tours",that donated like 20 bucks? Just like Toby Keith,and Charlie Daniels....write some fourth of July song,get rich,do the USA chant,head to the bank..As much as I'd like to donate to a good cause,all these jerks,and Donald Trump,have tarnished all the decent charities efforts.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: blkcwbyhat
isn't it amazing how many "charities" came out of the wars? Like Sean Hannity's "Freedom tours",that donated like 20 bucks? Just like Toby Keith,and Charlie Daniels....write some fourth of July song,get rich,do the USA chant,head to the bank..As much as I'd like to donate to a good cause,all these jerks,and Donald Trump,have tarnished all the decent charities efforts.

Don't get soured because of personalities. Research and sources like Charity Navigator helped me realize a charity I helped raise funds for only used a portion towards it stated purpose.

I won't let the actions of these 2 DBs negate the work I've done these past three years, and if I've made a difference in ONE persons life for the better, it was worth it.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 06:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I won't let the actions of these 2 DBs negate the work I've done these past three years, and if I've made a difference in ONE persons life for the better, it was worth it.

I'm sure you did make a difference. And thanks to you -- and others like you -- at least some of the dollars given to the charity helped make many lives better.

Thanks for being that person.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:07 AM
link   

My wife and I--both Army veterans--have given up on this charity for a while now, because we heard the reports and rumors as to how this organization was wasting donated money. Hell, a partnership with the Tough Mudder races is what stopped me from doing the TM races anymore, because I didn't want my money going to that organization.

As someone who spent a few of my professional years at a marketing firm, I get that you have to spend money to make money, and I also get that a lot of actual dollars goes to helping Service Members and their families, but the point is that more could be going to help, and I don't think that they're using the donated money wisely or honestly.

I do appreciate the money that does go to help, but I can't help out such an organization that isn't doing all that it can for the cause that it champions.

Same with Susan G. Komen.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

I'm sure you did make a difference. And thanks to you -- and others like you -- at least some of the dollars given to the charity helped make many lives better.

Thanks for being that person.

My Dad served the last 2 years of WW2, and suffered the fallout for years after. At that time, it seemed as if Vets were readily helped if needed, and returning service members were held in high esteem. Fast forward to soldiers returning from SE Asia, being spit on, and 40 plus years later, they are treated with indifference(IMO). I believed in what I signed up for in WWP, and have no regrets.

The actions of the COO & CEO are justifiably reviled, and will in no way impact my personal mission statement in service to both WWP and DVS--"others before self".

new topics

top topics

join