It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Reason for Voter ID laws

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: infolurker

But where are the actual numbers on this supposed massive nationwide voter fraud, so far only the suggestions that..well maybe.. could be, but folks who did the investigation came up with dick!.

No way to tell if there is fraud if you don't know who is actually voting.

He/She knows that. There are no logical reasons to not have transparent elections with accountability, rules, and identification to ensure honest elections. The motivation for unaccountably on the other hand is quite transparent.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Spider879

Perhaps the OP came up with the actual number.

9%.

There has been a 9% change in voter participation since voter ID has been enacted.

Perhaps there has been systemic 9% cheating before voter ID was enforced.

correctrecord.org...

Jeb Bush signed into law Florida legislation that restricted the hours and locations for early voting. “Bush and the GOP-led Legislature went the other way the next year, passing a law that capped the number of hours for early voting and confined it to election offices, city halls and libraries.” [Politifact, 11/8/12; House Bill 1567, 5/6/05]

No it meant that 9% of Dems are affected by it not because of cheating, like not having a drivers licence passports etc , this also includes the elderly and college kids,and again the voter I'D thing is not a stand alone klk link .
And again why are we even mucking about as if some Rep officials high and low haven't stated that voter suppression is their intent.

GOP executive committee member Don Yelton dispensed with the common yarn that the voter ID push is because of genuine “voter fraud,” a circumstance that is quite rare but often alleged after the stunning Republican losses in 2012.
Read more at www.inquisitr.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I'm a dude not a dudette , and see my response above as to why it's BS and you and I know it.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Can you prove that the 9% are just disenfranchised voters and not deliberate cheats?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:07 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy
Can you prove cheats and not disenfranchised voters?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Can you prove that the 9% are just disenfranchised voters and not deliberate cheats?

Yes!
Comprehensive Database of U.S. Voter Fraud Uncovers No Evidence That Photo ID Is Needed

Voter-impersonation fraud has attracted intense attention in recent years as conservatives and Republicans argue that strict voter ID laws are needed to prevent widespread fraud.
The case has been made repeatedly by the Republican National Lawyers Association, one of whose missions is to advance “open, fair and honest elections.” It has compiled a list of 375 election fraud cases, based mostly on news reports of alleged fraud.
News21 examined the RNLA cases in the database and found only 77 were alleged fraud by voters. Of those, News21 could verify convictions or guilty pleas in only 33 cases. The database shows no RNLA cases of voter-impersonation fraud.
Civil-rights and voting-rights activists condemn the ID laws as a way of disenfranchising minorities, students, senior citizens and the disabled.
In a video that went viral in June, Republican Mike Turzai, Pennsylvania’s House majority leader, spoke approvingly at a Republican State Committee meeting of the state’s new voter ID law “which is going to allow Gov. Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania — done.”

33 cases of provable voter fraud in no way equals 9% which would make for millions of voters.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

November is months away. If you are not responsable enough to get an id, you shouldn't vote.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: BIGPoJo

November is months away. If you are not responsable enough to get an id, you shouldn't vote.

Yeah just like if you couldn't pay poll tax you shouldn't vote, there is simply no excuse for gov't to throw-up unnecessary road blocks for the right for you to exercise your franchise whether you use it or not it's on you...pffft all this talk about big government.. plueese!!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Potentially, w/o voter ID you could have terrorists voting in ISIS presidents. It could happen!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:36 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328

Virginia requires ID and I mostly vote democrat. No one has suppressed my vote.
Personally I don't get what your saying. Do dems not have ID?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 09:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Sillyolme

Of course they have id.

Have to have to sign up for foodstamps, and other social programs.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
a reply to: Sillyolme

Of course they have id.

Have to have to sign up for foodstamps, and other social programs.

I don't care if they are broke , homeless begging for quarters on the side walk no one have the right to disenfranchise them , especially over a non issue, the fact is VOTER FRAUD! is largely a myth, but voter suppression is real.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yeah,Yeah.

Voter fraud is a 'myth'.

Election Fraud in the 2008 Indiana Presidential Campaign: A Case Study in Corruption

My home state the current potus was not even put on the ballot LEGALLY.

The allegations of electoral fraud first emerged in 2011 when a Yale University undergraduate student looked through the signatures of the petitions that were filed with Indiana election officials to get Barack Obama qualified for the Indiana Democratic primary ballot.[17] Ryan Nees, a former Obama White House intern, pored through the “byzantine and complicated” petition signatures.[18] Page after page of the voter names and signatures in St. Joseph County turned out to be complete forgeries.[19]

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: neo96

The Truth About Fraud
November 10, 2007

Allegations of widespread fraud by malevolent voters are easy to make, but often prove to be inflated or inaccurate. Crying “wolf” when the claims are unsubstantiated distracts attention from real problems that need real solutions. Moreover, these claims are frequently used to justify policies – including restrictive photo identification rules – that could not solve the alleged wrongs, but that could well disenfranchise legitimate voters.

The Brennan Center carefully examines allegations of fraud to get at the truth behind the claims.
www.brennancenter.org...

In Congress, and elsewhere in the national arena, fear of fraud in elections has been revived in many
policy discussions about our voting system. In 2002, for example, allegations of widespread voter fraud
fueled disagreement over voter identification provisions in federal election reform legislation, resulting
in an acrimonious legislative process that delayed passage of the Help America Vote Act of 2002 (HAVA).
Oddly enough, fraud and election integrity have been implicated in debates over terrorism and security.
The September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks spurred a major legislative initiative, the Real ID Act of 2005,
which requires states to meet costly minimum security standards for drivers’ licenses that many fear will
move the country toward a system of national ID—with negative consequences for electoral participation.1

Voter ID debates currently raging across the states join the disparate issues of voter fraud and election
integrity, security against terrorist attacks, and identification requirements. Proponents argue that more
stringent ID requirements like those embodied in a “Real ID” driver’s license are needed to protect against
voter fraud at the polls, and opponents argue that voter ID is a solution in search of a problem.2
www.brennancenter.org...

In other words it is more likely that irregularities will take place due to election officials than individuals going out of their way to steal an election..ie dimple chads or voting machines, having your brother in the right place in the right state and have your buddies call it in the SCOTUS.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
I think it's safe to assume that is the real reason why Republicans are always pushing these laws, along with all the other types of voter misleading and suppression they do. Considering how close some recent Presidential elections have been, it's easy to see why they would want to do this.

thinkprogress.org...

Well, we all know what assuming does...and in this case, it's accurate.

Also, there are MANY democrats that I know, most of whom are "minorities," that support voter ID laws. If someone can't get a proper ID for voting, that falls on them, their family, their friends, or their community for not reaching out and helping these people obtain a valid form of ID, but there is nothing wrong with making someone prove that they are who they say they are in order to vote.

To believe that is to espouse yourself with a victim mentality.

Also, using "Thing Progress" as your editorialized source for news is a poor decision, as they are uber-biased. But just keep in mind--I have a constitutional right to own a firearm, yet, in order to purchase one, I have to:
- Show valid ID
- Undergo a federal background check, AND
- Pay for the firearm that I have a right to own.

When it comes to voting, people lose their collective s**t because someone might have to pay a fee in order to get the ID, or be slightly inconvenienced in order to get to place that issues IDs.

This is what I refer to as a Full-Retard Double Standard. Feel free to use that in the future, but only if you show me ID first.

Maybe, then, I should just be able to buy a gun without an ID or background check since it's my right to own one. Yeah? You a fan of that idea? Maybe I shouldn't have to take the state-mandated concealed-carry course in order to carry said weapon in a holster underneath my clothing. Would that work for you? Maybe, at the least, the class and license shouldn't put me out of $160 just so I can carry a weapon in an open-carry state, but under my clothing instead of outside of it? Would that be okay with you?

Voting is one of the best rights written into the Constitution, but it is only for citizens--you should have to prove that you are the citizen whom you say you are before you are allowed to cast a vote that determines the direction in which our country moves.

Really, it's pretty simple logic.
edit on 11-3-2016 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If conservatives are suppressing the vote with voter ID then it stands to reason that Democrats don't want voter ID so they can inflate the vote.

I know for fact conservatives are trying to suppress the vote because conservatives know for fact that Democrats are bringing in voters who shouldn't be voting. In other words, I know he cheated because he beat me and I was cheating.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

That doesn't make any sense. If the vote is suppressed then the voting is normal. If the vote is inflated then there wouldn't be any suppression it would just be returning the voting numbers to what they should be. Here, let me try and explain that a different way:

100 people are allowed to vote. Voter ID forces 10 of those people to be unable to vote. That's voter suppression.
Alternatively, 100 people are allowed to vote, voter inflation causes the numbers to show 110 people voting.

Voter fraud, again, is nearly non-existent and instances that have occurred wouldn't be stopped by voter ID. Voter ID is targeted at sections of society that would typically vote for Democrats. That's the problem that people have with it. The system is already pretty darn secure and we don't have roving bands of people moving around on election day voting in different districts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join