It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Real Reason for Voter ID laws

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Sargeras

I would agree.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: CB328

I have been posting the same thing since 2013 and almost always apologist and detractors keep telling me it isn't so or I'm reading too much into it nothing to see here.
The Conservative Voter Suppression Plot Thickens.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Supreme Court guts key part of landmark Voting Rights Act.

edit on 10-3-2016 by Spider879 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234
a reply to: infolurker

I wouldn't mind voter ID. I do mind if its enactment causes legitimate voters to be unable to vote. Does that concern you at all?

originally posted by: burgerbuddy
How does it affect only dems? I don't get that at all.

It doesn't. It affects seniors, students and the lower class. It doesn't matter which party.

Legitimate voters can get an ID like everyone else.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spider879
a reply to: CB328

I have been posting the same thing since 2013 and almost always apologist and detractors keep telling me it isn't so or I'm reading too much into it nothing to see here.
The Conservative Voter Suppression Plot Thickens.
Supreme Court guts key part of landmark Voting Rights Act.

I would likely identify as conservative, and I am in support of voter Id. I have no wish to suppress Democrat votes though, just to ensure that only legal votes count. Is that wrong?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:12 PM
link   

A Wisconsin study found only seven cases of fraud among the 3 million votes cast in that state’s 2004 election, and none were the kind of fraud that would have been prevented by a voter ID law. Similarly, in 2014, Iowa Secretary of State Matt Schultz (R) conducted a two year, $250,000 investigation into election misconduct within his state. He uncovered exactly zero cases of in-person voter fraud.
[url=http://]http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/03/10/3758578/the-right-to-vote-just-got-terrible-news-from-a-conservative-federal-appeals-court/[/ url]

Yet we are being told this is a serious issue that need all hands on deck to stomp out voter fraud.
@caterpillage If there is statistically no fraud on one hand but massive disruption on the other ,then I'd say yes you are wrong.

link   
Makes perfect sense, you need ID for so many things, if you think that voting is so important, invest in a freaking ID.

link   

Which ID? I mean...a student from Pennsylvania can't use their University of Texas ID card in Texas but a gun owner can use their carry permit (which doesn't have their photograph)? That doesn't make much sense.

I think that if they're going to require voter ID then they should give voter specific ID's out for free. Government ID's, regardless of state should also be accepted as valid forms of ID.

The issue of voter ID is slightly ridiculous. Voter fraud is nearly non-existent but at the same time, we should have some confidence in our system. Then again, given the amount of personal information you have to surrender it's not suprrising that you don't need an ID either.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:13 PM
link   

A Wisconsin study found only seven cases of fraud among the 3 million votes cast in that state’s 2004 election, and none were the kind of fraud that would have been prevented by a voter ID law. Similarly, in 2014, Iowa Secretary of State Matt Schultz (R) conducted a two year, $250,000 investigation into election misconduct within his state. He uncovered exactly zero cases of in-person voter fraud.
[url=http://]http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2016/03/10/3758578/the-right-to-vote-just-got-terrible-news-from-a-conservative-federal-appeals-court/[/ url]

Yet we are being told this is a serious issue that need all hands on deck to stomp out voter fraud.

Yes, and police statistics show that there have been almost no minors under the age of 18 prosecuted for smoking cigarettes. That doesn't mean minors don't illegally smoke cigarettes... So we shouldn't ask for ID to ever buy them since minors obviously are not smoking. Why do we need to ID people for cigarettes?

Seriously, Why do YOU think we should not ID people to vote... really? Why even have voter registration, why shouldn't everyone be able to go anywhere to vote? Why should we even record what precinct people are in... what does it matter?
edit on 10-3-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sargeras

originally posted by: caterpillage

originally posted by: CB328
This article is about a voter ID law in the state of Texas, but the real news is contained in the middle of the article. According to a respected pollster's estimate, voter ID laws may suppress the Democratic vote almost 9 percent. I think it's safe to assume that is the real reason why Republicans are always pushing these laws, along with all the other types of voter misleading and suppression they do. Considering how close some recent Presidential elections have been, it's easy to see why they would want to do this.

thinkprogress.org...

Yes because if you are a minority you aren't smart enough to get an ID right?

I mean you just need it to drive or get a job or buy r rated movies or beer or just about anything.

But minorities can't get one right?

Stfu!!!

That is about as racist as it gets.

" minorities can't get an id because they aren't smart enough "

That is what your are in fact saying...

That is in fact what the left is saying yes. They are as racist as they come. They birthed it, and they profit from it.

Always have!

" minorities can't compete with whites on a level field, so we have to give them extra support to make the field level for them"

Is that not the essential argument behind all their bs?

Just like " white privilege ".

It assumes only whites can do X, and others need help to do the same.

It is the epitome of racism and they can't even see it....

And that is why they fought Lincoln, formed the KKK, fought against civil rights etc...

It is all to hide the fact that they are the real racists, because they honestly believe if you aren't white, you can't do the same things whites can.

Hence they have placed whites on a level that others can't reach, so they must be helped up to that level.

It is shockingly ironic for most people, only the dumbest of us can't see what it all means.

I wish I could give an applause.

That's telling it like it IS.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Alright so we are all good then? We can just let anyone who shows up and says "I'm him" just go ahead and vote? For our leadership of the country? No questions asked?

Dude, that seems kinda whacked.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
Makes perfect sense, you need ID for so many things, if you think that voting is so important, invest in a freaking ID.

Just saying, a Lefty agreeing with this centrist and righties....

It isn't that hard to get an id in America!!!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96

This article is about a voter ID law in the state of Texas, but the real news is contained in the middle of the article. According to a respected pollster's estimate, voter ID laws may suppress the Democratic vote almost 9 percent. I think it's safe to assume that is the real reason why Republicans are always pushing these laws, along with all the other types of voter misleading and suppression they do. Considering how close some recent Presidential elections have been, it's easy to see why they would want to do this.

thinkprogress.org...

Yes because if you are a minority you aren't smart enough to get an ID right?

I mean you just need it to drive or get a job or buy r rated movies or beer or just about anything.

But minorities can't get one right?

Stfu!!!

That is about as racist as it gets.

" minorities can't get an id because they aren't smart enough "

That is what your are in fact saying...

That is in fact what the left is saying yes. They are as racist as they come. They birthed it, and they profit from it.

Always have!

" minorities can't compete with whites on a level field, so we have to give them extra support to make the field level for them"

Is that not the essential argument behind all their bs?

Just like " white privilege ".

It assumes only whites can do X, and others need help to do the same.

It is the epitome of racism and they can't even see it....

And that is why they fought Lincoln, formed the KKK, fought against civil rights etc...

It is all to hide the fact that they are the real racists, because they honestly believe if you aren't white, you can't do the same things whites can.

Hence they have placed whites on a level that others can't reach, so they must be helped up to that level.

It is shockingly ironic for most people, only the dumbest of us can't see what it all means.

I wish I could give an applause.

That's telling it like it IS.

The point is INTENT! if it wasn't needed to begin with then why do it,

Remember this??^

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879

The 'intent' are HONEST elections.

Go figure some people really don't want them that way.

That's why FDR voted for Obama.

While that may be an embellishment. The fact dead people vote is not.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Alright so we are all good then? We can just let anyone who shows up and says "I'm him" just go ahead and vote? For our leadership of the country? No questions asked?

Dude, that seems kinda whacked.

It is a made up problem and never an issue, if it were just voter I'd it would be bad enough but

Almost fifty years after the Voting Rights Act was passed, the right to vote is still under attack. Today, Republican presidential hopefuls are attempting to hijack our democracy by restricting the voting rights of everyday Americans. In states across the country, Republicans are pushing for restrictive laws that disproportionately impact turnout among African Americans, Latinos, working Americans, seniors, and America’s youth.

Some of the top names in the Republican field, including Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush, and Chris Christie, support limiting early voting, while others like Scott Walker and Rick Perry have enacted strict voter ID laws that make it more difficult to vote. If we do nothing to combat these discriminatory laws, the voices of hundreds of thousands of voters will be silenced at the polls in 2016.
correctrecord.org...

Suggest you klik here^
Yeah most ppl don't like others pissing on their heads and telling them it's raining, they should have the courtesy of telling them it's piss.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

articles.chicagotribune.com...

Voter fraud is a fine art: ghost voting and buying votes; voting as a dead guy or from a fictitious address; "helping" supposedly confused voters by entering the voting booth and marking the "right" candidates; wheeling in masses of senile or medicated patients from nursing homes; deploying partisan election judges and precinct captains (read: enforcers) who campaign or intimidate voters in the polling place; and jiggering with the vote count after the polls close. The opportunities are endless.

Yet, Democrats would have us believe that the voting rolls here and across America are as clean as a whistle, so voter IDs and other measures to counter cheating are unnecessary and, indeed, violative of civil rights. Efforts to cleanse thousands of ineligible names from the rolls, most recently in Florida, are compared to the dark days of Jim Crow — as if your right to vote fraudulently is a civil right.
in America about 24 million voter registrations are invalid or significantly inaccurate. More than 1.8 million dead people are on the lists, and about 2.75 million people are registered in more than one state.

Ironically, Democrats insist that purging the rolls of invalid registrations works in favor of Republicans, which is an implied admission that Democrats are more likely to be the offenders. As if there were fewer invalid registrations in Republican strongholds like DuPage County.

In Illinois, you don't need valid photo identification to vote on Election Day. Just show up and provide a signature that remotely resembles the one in the registration book — a system that invites fraud. Only when you vote early must you provide a voter ID in Illinois.

So if it is reasonable to require a photo ID when voting early, why isn't it reasonable to require one on Election Day?

edit on 10-3-2016 by infolurker because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

But where are the actual numbers on this supposed massive nationwide voter fraud, so far only the suggestions that..well maybe.. could be, but folks who did the investigation came up with dick!.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Perhaps the OP came up with the actual number.

9%.

There has been a 9% change in voter participation since voter ID has been enacted.

Perhaps there has been systemic 9% cheating before voter ID was enforced.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:15 PM
link   

thinkprogress.org...

Why does this only affect democrats? Are republicans immune to lack of id? Do all republicans have ids?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

But where are the actual numbers on this supposed massive nationwide voter fraud, so far only the suggestions that..well maybe.. could be, but folks who did the investigation came up with dick!.

No way to tell if there is fraud if you don't know who is actually voting.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join