It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A surprise oil change

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Hello ATS. This is my first post. I was driving home from work on Lincoln Blvd. in Santa Monica, I noticed my car was 1000 miles past due for a oil change. I was looking for a 10 minuinte oil change. No luck. However I saw a sign on a garage that said oil change $24.99.

I pull up, walk inside and I asked if they have time to change my oil. I explained I do not have one hour to wait. The man did not speak too much English, he said go wait give me keys. Right then I should have left but I did not want to be rude. The man pulled my car in to his dirty oily shop. I walked into the garage so I could watch. The man said no to have a seat. I said sir can I please watch you change my oil. He shook his head no.

After 1/2 hour he came to me with a air filter and told me I need a new one $45.00. I said no no I just changed mine two weeks ago it is still new. Next he said need new wipers $24.00. I shook my head and said my wipers are fine. I told him it does not rain to much in Southern Califorina. He looked at me with a mean face 😡.

I asked the man if he had checked the fluids and the air in tires. Opps I should not have asked him that. He said in broken English what do you think of me? I politely said I am sorry but my right front tire is low on air and I did not hear you fill it up. He said nothing. I said to the man are you finished so I can pay you and leave. The man said I will pull out your car. After 5 min. he comes back inside and tells me it's 24.99. I pay and leave.

The next morning I walked out of my house to drive to work. I see two big puddles that look like oil. I know a drip of oil expands and looks much bigger then it should. I check the oil level and it was right on the line. I looked at the brake fluid resovior and could not tell if the level was ok because it has road grime on the outside. I open the cap and there is no fluid. I proceed to check the power steering fluid because there were two puddles. Empty. Now I am late for work and a little agitated (no a lot agitated) LOL. I go inside and out on old clothes. Yes I called the studio to tell them I will be late. I slid under my XC 90 and used the flashlight on my iPhone. I found two razer cuts on the power steering line. I did not even try to look for the brake fluid leak.

So does anyone have advice like should I go back to the shop and accuse them of doing this to my car. I can't prove they did this but I am pretty sure they did. Thank you for listening to my rant.

I don't even think he had a Volvo oil filter. It's a sealed filter. Volvo xc 90 holds 8 quarts of oil. For 24.99. Must be recycled oil lol.

edit on 10-3-2016 by Quantum12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Without before and after pics,, it's your word against his. I never let others work on my vehicles if I can help it and take pics of the parts before I do. Had a shop try to scam me years ago, by claiming they replaced something when I could prove they didn't. Had taken pics of it and had scratched my initials on a place that was hard to see if you weren't looking hard for it. Got my transmission replaced for free outta that.
My best advice...Learn to work on your cars. An oil change only takes about 30 minutes and you know you're not getting Brand Z, when you wanted Full Synthetic Pennzoil. You also don't have some pissed off, fly by night mechanic cutting lines.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Thank you! I should have taken photos. You are so right. Lesson learned. I decided after your reply I will have no say if I go back and complain. I do not have proof. I do know for sure I will never ever go back there.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

That has happened to me in the past and recently happened to my friend too. My friend had his oil changed and they put the vehicle on the lift. If its not on the lift correctly they can damage the break lines. You might be able to take it to another mechanic and see if it had been intentionally damaged. If it appears to had been intentionally damaged you should try to get that in writing. Either way do not take it back to that shop where it was damaged. That might be something that you would have to take to small claims court. It still might be your word against his, if thats the case then it wouldn't be worth it. I'm not sure. If they broke due to rust, you probably can not do anything about it. One of the only sure ways to find out if someone intentionally damages your vehicle is to have hidden cameras placed on your vehicle in the correct spots (like under the hood.) Which probably wouldn't had even helped in your situation if it occurred under the vehicle.

I ended up forking up $100 on the spot years ago when this happened. My friends break lines were all rusted and he needed to replace all of them. Neither of us were able to do anything about it. We both will not return to those mechanics again. You can also write reviews online to warn others.

Another time I did have something that looked like razor cuts on my break lines before but they did not leak. Turns out they were just dry-rotted and had not been intentionally damaged. I had to replace them. Its not easy to find mechanics that know what they are doing and you can trust. Good luck

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:31 PM
link   
write a review about them online and tell your story to others, if you do take it to court i wish you luck.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quantum12
I can't prove they did this but I am pretty sure they did.

And that's why he'll get away with it. I am sorry you got cheated. We learn lessons the hard way!

You can try posting a negative review as another poster suggested. Hopefully he doesn't have the wherewithal to sue you for libel.

edit on 10-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: gmoneystunt

Thank you gmoneneystumt for your advice. I am sorry that happened to you and your friend. I now know how it feels also. I will my pursue court I do not think I have a case with just my word alone. I feel the shop owner did this but can't prove it so I would come back to get it repaired there and pay more money. I wonder how many people this man has done this to. Karma will come back to him one day.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: theboarman

Thank you theboarman, I would lose in court as I do not have proof. Thank you, I will write a review. I hope this car butcher does not do this to more people!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Thank you NarcolepticBuddha, your right he will get away with it for sure and there is really nothing I can do but write a review.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Isn't slashing the break line something that could potentially harm you and or others? I'm glad you noticed what happened before driving.
Did you keep the receipt?
I'm really disturbed by this.
As someone posted above be careful with the review, because people I guess can sue for libel or whatnot.
I like the idea that someone posted above to take it to a reputable mechanic to see if it was deliberate or not.
If you have the means, talk too a lawyer, maybe other folks have had similar things happen at this mechanic and you can have a class action law suit... I'm just really bothered by someone making your vehicle dangerous to you and others.
Anyway, glad you noticed it and are safe.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: peppycat

Yes peppycat I never thought about how he endangered me and others. The good outcome is I did not have to drive on the 405. I live Santa Monica and the traffic is bad so I had to drive slow. I bet if I had driven on the 405 without traffic and my brake fluid and power steering fluid leaked slowly out I could have killed someone. I better not write a review because I do not want to be sued your right. I will find a lawyer but I still do not have proof. The only proof I have is I charged 24.99 on my card. I just have the credit card receipt.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantum12

What you should have done was find the type of oil your car takes and top it up. Generally you can go another 1000 miles above oil change date before your engine becomes unhappy. Then make an appointment with a certified oil change company to service your vehicle

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Skywatcher2011

Your right Skywatcher2011! I should have done that. I can't change my past but wish I could. A big lesson learned. Thank you.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Your right Skywatcher2011! I should have done that. I can't change my past but wish I could. I big lesson learned. Thank you.

I know my mom went passed her oil change date by 10,000 km!!!! or 5000 miles! LOL The truck was still running fine but any longer and the engine valves most likely would have seized

Side note...I do an oil change on my small pickup truck when it is due. It takes about half an hour to do MAX. I just have to buy the right oil filter and make sure I have an oil pan and jacks to lift the vehicle up.

As for shady garages that are your supposed local handyman for small labour jobs, I find that they may try to cause damage to your vehicle when you are not looking so they can convince you that there are more repairs to do...and would love to charge you for it! Never trust them unless you are looking at them with a hawk's eye or video record their work. I wouldn't go back to this guy...just learn to do this oil change yourself!
edit on 10-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit note

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Wow Skywatcher2011. The oil filter must have been a mess and the oil like tar. My friend races cars and has told me that oil can last a long time but the filter can't filter out the debris at some point. I am glad your moms truck is ok!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Wow Skywatcher2011. The oil filter must have been a mess and the oil like tar. My friend races cars and has told me that oil can last a long time but the filter can't filter out the debris at some point. I am glad your moms truck is ok!

When the oil is thick and tar like...you would need to ensure that your car has been running for a little while so the oil can flow out like melted butter. Not too hot so you would burn your hands but a good 20 minutes of engine running should do the trick. But if too hot just feel around the engine, but be careful not to burn your hand!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Thank you Skywatcher2011, so cold oil is like cooked animal fat that has been put in the fridge it turns into hard yuck. I never knew that until now you need to warm up the engine before a oil change. I thank you!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 11:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Skywatcher2011

As for shady garages that are your supposed local handyman for small labour jobs, I find that they may try to cause damage to your vehicle when you are not looking so they can convince you that there are more repairs to do...and would love to charge you for it! Never trust them unless you are looking at them with a hawk's eye or video record their work. I wouldn't go back to this guy...just learn to do this oil change yourself!

That is why the shop owner would not let me watch him change the oil. He was dishonest and was up to something so he could make more money!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Thank you Skywatcher2011, so cold oil is like cooked animal fat that has been put in the fridge it turns into hard yuck. I never knew that until now you need to warm up the engine before a oil change. I thank you!

My dad is a retired car mechanic so I know some of the tricks to the trade and you are most welcome

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 12:17 AM
link   

That is why the shop owner would not let me watch him change the oil. He was dishonest and was up to something so he could make more money!

Lots of slimeballs out there trying o make that extra buck off you for no honest work!
edit on 11-3-2016 by Skywatcher2011 because: edit format

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join