It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive Waves Unearth Ancient Hawaiian Petroglyphs

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Byrd

I can't copy and paste but for summary:

3 independent chronometric techniques. AMS 14C dating of weathering rind. In order to constrain the age they use a mutli-tiered approach using 3 independent but "experimental" techniques.

Source - www.scahome.org...
edit on 12-3-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

In case there's any confusion. The dating isn't in context to the petroglyphs in Slayers OP but the ones I linked in the second post.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I've always wondered how archeologists/anthropologists determine whether a petroglyph is just graffiti or something more important. For all I know, the petroglyph shown in the OP means "Lonakana + Wehilani 4-evar!".

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:18 PM
link   
very cool! there are other glyphs found on lava rocks in Hawaii, if i find the link i will post it.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 04:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Well you cant "carbon date" ... you can use radiometric dating but that will tell you about the rock, not the inscription. So... even by style its a shot in the dark... that includes a huge "maybe". Now that along with some investigation around the place to see when the sea was at a "level" that could allow those inscriptions to be made and some stratification you can get a "at least" time period. Which also can lead to tremendous errors in dating but hey... thats what we got lol

So theres this awesome field of science called "Guessing".

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rosinitiate
a reply to: Byrd

I can't copy and paste but for summary:

3 independent chronometric techniques. AMS 14C dating of weathering rind. In order to constrain the age they use a mutli-tiered approach using 3 independent but "experimental" techniques.

Source - www.scahome.org...

It sounds a bit sketchy to me, but... okay. I'll agree that they offered something for C14 analysis, then.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 11:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shadoefax
I've always wondered how archeologists/anthropologists determine whether a petroglyph is just graffiti or something more important. For all I know, the petroglyph shown in the OP means "Lonakana + Wehilani 4-evar!".

Generally they ask the descendants of the ones who made them. However, it's not an easy task and most often they are NOT given meaning but elements ("this is a god, this is a man, etc") are named but not otherwise interpreted.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: FraternitasSaturni

Now that along with some investigation around the place to see when the sea was at a "level" that could allow those inscriptions to be made and some stratification you can get a "at least" time period.

Actually, the sea is at such a level right now. What is different is that the sand which covers the rocks has been (temporarily) removed by high surf, not so much that sea level has changed.

Sand comes and goes seasonally. This is not the first time these petroglyphs have been seen.
mikekrzywonski.photoshelter.com...
edit on 3/13/2016 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 14 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Now....Have not read anything but just wanted to add me 2 cents...That tsunami warning....was it from that? hmmmmm

top topics

<< 1   >>

join