It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What percentage of ATS's user generated content have YOU actually provided? simple maths here.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Just say no to math.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Lots of Hoo haw about ads and the like and none of it expected here but a few members kicking off about the fact that the users make the site and I would like to think I agree with this.

The simple fact is though it's all about the numbers in this.

Take your current post count to date. my example is 5,623

Divide this by the total amount of posts on ATS(I know this is skewed by other factors but deal with it)

Currently at 20,338,057.

Divide the little number by the bigger number and times by 100

In my case this is 0.02764

That is my contribution to ats as far as posts go.

I post quite a lot as well as far as things go lately.

here's my stats.

joind on: Sep, 15 2014

applause received: 44

member posts: 5,623

member threads: 270

member flags: 1,587

member stars: 10,273

ave. flags per thread: 5.88

ave. stars per post: 1.83

ave. threads per day: 0.5

ave. posts per day: 10.36

WATS score: 89

member karma: 30

That is in simple terms over 10 posts a day on average and half a thread per day.

So on average I make a thread every other day and post 10 times a day yet my overall contribution to the site as a whole still comes out at 0.02764.

I am not so special that I deserve special treatment. Do the maths and ask yourself the same question.

Put it in real perspective and look up a member that has been here for over a decade and is also here everyday and the maths still works out as insignificant.

Add to that the fact that most of what I say is utter rubbish or a crap one liner and it really does put perspective into it.

Deal with the ads people, your not that special.

Mate; your stats tell me you might like to consider learning a little about statistics. The 80 - 20 rule applies to this site just like it applies everywhere else.

Not sure why your stats mean so much to you but each to their own, different strokes for different folks.

cheers.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Pretty sure not one single person claimed to be the most important member of the site?
We're a community and if enough of these 'unimportant' contributors stopped posting, there'd be no site.
We're all cogs in a wheel and I've no idea what the purpose or relevance of your thread is.

It's the second time you've posted these stats, what's the point? Who cares?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Here...

I obviously have not grasped the fundamentals of the formula you are using... See if you can work my numbers out, because I sure as hell cannot!

basic stats
joind on: Dec, 06 2007

applause received: 293

member posts: 15,818

member threads: 145

member flags: 1,321

member stars: 40,079

ave. flags per thread: 9.11

ave. stars per post: 2.53

ave. threads per day: 0.05

ave. posts per day: 5.24

WATS score: 277

member karma: 39

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

I obviously have not grasped the fundamentals of the formula you are using...

I wouldn't worry . The maths is flawed as I've already pointed out earlier in the thread.

I think our friend is trying to make a valid point but has got confused trying to manipulate numbers to support an argument.

For example - using the music business as our model.

The music business releases something like 80,000 albums each year.

Source : H andbook of the Economics of Art and Culture

Now since 2009 that means 560,000 albums have been released (excluding any releases this year - and it's also based on the minimum quoted).

Adele has produced 3 albums in that time.

So her contribution to the overall music industry using the formula quoted in the OP is 3 / 560,000. Which is about 0.00005%. Yep out of over half a million unique albums she contributed just 3. That's how insignificant the girl is to the music industry based on this formula in the OP.

But I think you will find she is VERY important to the Music Biz if you look at other stats. Even if you have never heard of Adele.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:08 AM
link   
I don't understand that point. No thread has merit until I have posted.

See.

On another note, what if you had retired an old account? That account was from 2004 and the whole reason it was abandoned was because it didn't calculate or show flags, maybe other things also I can't remember back when I thought it mattered.

At any rate, just being here making posts doesn't neccisarily contribute to ATS. There are avatars here I love and avatars here I love to hate and am glad they are here. There are also those who I'd rather see go by way of the dodo as it were. Eventually, they usually do.

Lastly, what makes me feel part of the community and my contributions are appreciated are from pm's from other members and Applause from moderators. I think even SO gave me one or two, made me feel all special.

Lastly, lastly; why doesn't general chit chat show in recents? It was only because I clicked on chitchat did I even see this discussion or others.

edit on 13-3-2016 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: stargatetravels
Pretty sure not one single person claimed to be the most important member of the site?
We're a community and if enough of these 'unimportant' contributors stopped posting, there'd be no site.
We're all cogs in a wheel and I've no idea what the purpose or relevance of your thread is.

It's the second time you've posted these stats, what's the point? Who cares?

It seems like a few people got the wrong end of the stick as far as the intention of this thread goes and on re reading my op it may be my fault.

I made it because I was getting annoyed at a lot of the posts regarding the ad blocker debate as a lot of members seemed to think that because ATS is user grated that they were somehow more important than they actually are and were threatening to leave under the belief that they actually had something to threaten with!

The point was supposed to be exactly what you say above, that we are all important in terms of content but only as a whole, as individuals we are just drops in the ocean and should remember that.

Sorry for the confusion and hope this clarifies things a little

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 03:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: mirageman
a reply to: TrueBrit

I obviously have not grasped the fundamentals of the formula you are using...

I wouldn't worry . The maths is flawed as I've already pointed out earlier in the thread.

I think our friend is trying to make a valid point but has got confused trying to manipulate numbers to support an argument.

For example - using the music business as our model.

The music business releases something like 80,000 albums each year.

Source : H andbook of the Economics of Art and Culture

Now since 2009 that means 560,000 albums have been released (excluding any releases this year - and it's also based on the minimum quoted).

Adele has produced 3 albums in that time.

So her contribution to the overall music industry using the formula quoted in the OP is 3 / 560,000. Which is about 0.00005%. Yep out of over half a million unique albums she contributed just 3. That's how insignificant the girl is to the music industry based on this formula in the OP.

But I think you will find she is VERY important to the Music Biz if you look at other stats. Even if you have never heard of Adele.

I am aware that the maths is flawed and over simplified, see my above post for clarification.

As I said I felt that a lot of members were over rating there own contribution based on the amount of content they had provided and felt like they were owed something for what is a tiny fraction of the whole.

I like your music industry analogy, it sums things up nicely.

I for instance have over 1500 flags but the truth of the matter is that I have made hundreds of threads about utter rubbish, mostly in off topic forums so to the casual eye it may seem like my contribution is valid but the truth of the matter quite the opposite, I am in fact just wasting storage space.

It's the same with post count, I have made over 5000 posts but cannot think of a single one that was in any way valuable, most of them were tounge in cheek of topic smart alec remarks.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Well thanks for clearing that up. I knew you had a point to make but I think it got lost in the numbers game.

At the end of the day we all talk crap at times. Most of us probably generate content 99% of the members have no interest in.

The closest analogy I can think of is this place is like a huge bar or pub. Some people are here every day for hours on end. Others pop their heads in for a few minutes. Many only visit once or twice a week and some have come and rarely return if at all. What's being served up ultimately dictates patronage though. That is often a very subjective thing that flags and stars cannot adequately measure.

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
After I converted to Celsius, I got a negative 7, but then I calculated in the barometric pressure and my pencil broke.

I'm insignificant. But I already knew that.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join