It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will ATS shut down soon?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: blupblup

Either way, who cares, if bans mean nothing then I shall enjoy myself pissed up later, get banned and just open another account under a different username.
See how ridiculous that sounds regarding the idea of a ban.

Why would you do something dumb like that? Thats just retarded.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

But then you'd lose your posting history, threads, stars and all sorts.
Plus nobody would know it was you.... actually...Hmmmmm

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Is this the 2016 mental gymnastics?

Yup. I brought your safety helmet, ready?

edit on 11-3-2016 by AugustusMasonicus because: Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:38 PM
link   

You mentioned morality, not me, I said ethical, surely you understand the difference?
Being a sly bastard is not an ethical position to hold.

Either way, who cares, if bans mean nothing then I shall enjoy myself pissed up later, get banned and just open another account under a different username.

IMHO I can see both sides, being able to open account under another pseudonym does kind of defeat the point of being banned, however everyone deserves chances and like it was said earlier if those on high really didn't want you on the site, there are techy computery ways of doing it that having a new account couldn't fool.

I do think it is a bit sneaky though. It doesn't sit right with me particularly. But as BlupBlup said is it really hurting someone if they come back and behave?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lysergic
Is this the 2016 mental gymnastics?

Dude... it's called the Special Olympics.

Sheesh...

edit on 11/3/16 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus
As I ever was!

whoa the background on ats got wonky
edit on 11-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: galaga

Why not?

The ability to express exactly how one feels without carefully wording the message is quite liberating.
Especially now I know that a ban means nothing so just open a new account and no worries.

What's the point of playing by the rules if you can just come back in disguise?
'grainofsand' is a persona which could easily be replaced with 'flakeofsnow' or something else. It makes a mockery of the banning process lol
edit on 11.3.2016 by grainofsand because: typo - now changed to know

link   

originally posted by: blupblup

Because I've seen the issue come up time and time again over the years on ATS.
I've seen what SO and Springer have said.
Come back with a new account but play by the rules or the same fate awaits you - that IS the ATS position, unless it's changed recently but that was ALWAYS the rule and way it was here.

^^This.

I've been here every day since I joined in 2007 but was banned at the end of last summer. Using the "Contact ATS" link at the bottom of the page, I requested reactivation which was declined but I was told it was okay to make a new account but to behave myself and not publicly mention my previous user name.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup

But then you'd lose your posting history, threads, stars and all sorts.
Plus nobody would know it was you.... actually...Hmmmmm

I've never cared about stars and such like, just entertaining debate.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

You know, when you, Blup and I end up in the same thread it is either really, really bad or...

...well, there is no or, it's just really, really bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freija

I've been here every day since I joined in 2007 but was banned at the end of last summer. Using the "Contact ATS" link at the bottom of the page, I requested reactivation which was declined but I was told it was okay to make a new account but to behave myself and not publicly mention my previous user name.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Why not?

The ability to express exactly how one feels without carefully wording the message is quite liberating.
Especially now I know that a ban means nothing so just open a new account and no worries.

What's the point of playing by the rules if you can just come back in disguise?
'grainofsand' is a persona which could easily be replaced with 'flakeofsnow' or something else. It makes a mockery of the banning process lol

You truly can not comprehend what you read. I never set out to get banned. Thats just dumb. I was banned over a post that someone took the wrong way. My intentions were never to seek out the ban hammer.
edit on 11-3-2016 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus
a reply to: Lysergic

You know, when you, Blup and I end up in the same thread it is either really, really bad or...

...well, there is no or, it's just really, really bad.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Any mods/admins/owners wish to officially confirm that bans mean nothing then?
I'm not emotionally attached to the 'grainofsand' persona, so knowing that I can come back as something else would be entertaining and quite liberating.

I can imagine a few comments I would enjoy stating to a few members if indeed I can just re-join as say 'flakeofsnow' or 'dropofrain' or 'bladeofgrass' lol
I wouldn't be that obvious though

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:52 PM
link   

You truly can not comprehend what you read.

Yes I can, very clearly, I'm saying the ban system is impotent if coming back under another name is acceptable.

I never set out to get banned.

I never said you did, that is your invention if you think I did.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Any mods/admins/owners wish to officially confirm that bans mean nothing then?
I'm not emotionally attached to the 'grainofsand' persona, so knowing that I can come back as something else would be entertaining and quite liberating.

I can imagine a few comments I would enjoy stating to a few members if indeed I can just re-join as say 'flakeofsnow' or 'dropofrain' or 'bladeofgrass' lol
I wouldn't be that obvious though

Do It!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Do It!!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: galaga

I'm tempted, just waiting for the official position from mods/admin/owners regarding the acceptability of opening a new account when one has been banned.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I'm tempted, just waiting for the official position from mods/admin/owners regarding the acceptability of opening a new account when one has been banned.

Really dude? We already said its ok. You just have to behave yourself when you get back, or just keep on speaking your mind and get banned and repeat. But if you do that, you cant start a thread. But if you want to be dumb, be my guest.
edit on 11-3-2016 by galaga because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I don't think you should be baiting people, do something idiotic and pointless. The 'We' you are talking about have no position of authority or fact, mere observations, and assumptions from past actions. It is clear that each experience is individual and it depends on circumstances. The fact that you can create new accounts after being banned is clear, whether it is right or wrong is personal opinion.

If you don't want ATS to shut down, the point of your thread, maybe you should focus your efforts on doing something constructive and positive in the form of content.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join