It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will ATS shut down soon?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:46 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Because I've seen the issue come up time and time again over the years on ATS.
I've seen what SO and Springer have said.
Come back with a new account but play by the rules or the same fate awaits you - that IS the ATS position, unless it's changed recently but that was ALWAYS the rule and way it was here.

If you don't like the guy then fine, report him and alert staff and you'll get your answer.

Just giving the guy crap and being argumentative really isn't helping anyone.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Behave, I voiced my opinion and consider it sly, it has nothing to do with me liking him or not.
Giving crap and being argumentative works both ways, and I'll post whatever I like so long as it remains within T's & C's, why are you whinging? You don't have to read this thread if you don't want to.

You think that opening a new account after having posting privileges removed isn't sly, I do, and so long as we keep replying to each other we'll continue to face that basic issue.
You believe you are right and so do I, unlucky I'm not just bowing to your opinion.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Um... no.
You said I was talking for ATS and when I said that this is the position on creating accounts you now change it and say that you're sticking to your opinion ETC.

Like I said, report the guy, PM a mod or SO.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Urm no, I ASKED you when you became the ATS spokesperson, subtle difference you must have missed.
The rest nope again, I've changed no position and have been consistent.
I've alerted my post above to be honest, I am interested in the official position.

*Edit*
You however have not been consistent, you earlier likened the situation to being kicked out of a house party and returning in disguise yet you say such behaviour is not sly?

edit on 11.3.2016 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Cool. Let's wait and see.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Maybe I'm old-school, but I think it's sly to open a new account without negotiating a return of posting privileges with mods/admin.
You may think it is not sly, but I see it as being kicked out of a house party then sneaking back in through the bathroom window

If you see it differently then so be it.

Grain, I have to respectfully disagree. I had a difference of opinion with a mod. Another mod chose to take away my rights. I wrote to the site suggesting this was unfair - no response after a couple more mails. I let it go for some months, but I work from home, sometimes with very long hours on conference calls where a little bit of distraction is helpful. After a few months my ban was still in place (I had not used any bad language, nor had I been in the least bit threatening but made my point clear that I thought the mod in question was not being respectful of others decisions), and thought, well, it's at least a place for debate, let's try again. Being kicked off here once or for all I know many times doesn't always mean you did something 'bad', just that someone with the permissions in the system to do so cut you off.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   

*Edit*
You however have not been consistent, you earlier likened the situation to being kicked out of a house party and returning in disguise yet you say such behaviour is not sly?

Actually no... I was merely pointing out the correct way to word YOUR analogy, not giving my own.
Your analogy did not represent the situation , mine did.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Yes, let's.
It makes a mockery of posting bans if it is acceptable to just open another account though.

...and I shall remember not to invite you to a house party if you think it acceptable to be kicked out then come back in disguise.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Yes, let's.
It makes a mockery of posting bans if it is acceptable to just open another account though.

...and I shall remember not to invite you to a house party if you think it acceptable to be kicked out then come back in disguise.

Well if someone was kicked out, went away and disguised themselves and came back to the party, bought some booze, behaved themselves and was civil and polite to the guests, where's the issue?

Anyway... something about a dead horse?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: blupblup
Well if someone was kicked out, went away and disguised themselves and came back to the party, bought some booze, behaved themselves and was civil and polite to the guests, where's the issue?

Did they also bring 'party favors' and some hookers?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Maybe I'm old-school, but I think it's sly to open a new account without negotiating a return of posting privileges with mods/admin.
You may think it is not sly, but I see it as being kicked out of a house party then sneaking back in through the bathroom window

If you see it differently then so be it.

Actually it'd be like getting kicked out and then going and getting a haircut, putting on fake glasses, knocking the door and speaking in a fake accent and getting back in.

Just got a beautiful mental picture of a person in a Hawaiian shirt, Marx Brothers glasses fake mustache mask, and doing the accent of the french policemen from 'Allo 'Allo.

"I was p*****ing,by the door and I thought I would droop in." *All done in the worst french accent possible*

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Did they also bring 'party favors' and some hookers?

Yes... yes they did.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: MrsNonSpecific

I swear to god... I totally had the marx brothers "tache" and glasses combo in my mind when I wrote that and a loud shirt.

Awesome.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Yes, let's.

The slyness and deception of course.
It is interesting to learn that you feel such a course of action is acceptable.
I wouldn't want someone sneaking into my house under false pretences after I'd said they were not welcome to add their presence to the party.
No dead horse, you can't beat me on the ethics of this one fella, you know it is deceitful...unless you can give me a rational argument supporting being sly?

I'll accept that ATS owners/mods may not give a toss, but you cannot win the argument that deception is ethical.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:26 PM
link   

It is interesting to learn that you feel such a course of action is acceptable.

Not to take sides on the issue but the site owners and the moderators have said this is acceptable. They have made it clear that if you get banned you can come back, as long as you behave yourself.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Fair enough, I'll stop holding back in my posts from now on then if bans mean nothing lol

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

But why is a moral or ethical debate? Who or what is being harmed? Where does morality come into it?
ATS have stated many times that they're aware that people make new accounts after being banned, so long as these "new" members behave themselves, then there's no issue.

It's not about "beating" you... it's not a competition, we're not wrestling, nakedly in custard.....um....phwoar...um... ok give me a minute, I'll be back...just need to....um...

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Do you owe me a coke? Or the other way around?

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   

You mentioned morality, not me, I said ethical, surely you understand the difference?
Being a sly bastard is not an ethical position to hold.

Either way, who cares, if bans mean nothing then I shall enjoy myself pissed up later, get banned and just open another account under a different username.
See how ridiculous that sounds regarding the idea of a ban.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Is this the 2016 mental gymnastics?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join