It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Nimrod MR4 a bomber?

page: 1

join
share:
RAB

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:22 PM
link   
OK sorry this is a odd question, But I'm start to think that the New MR4 is a bomber in all but name.

Very long range (6000Miles unrefuelled) the ability to carry all weapons in the RAF, Storm Shadow cruise missiles, LGB's anti-shipping stuff etc etc.

£2.2 billion for 18 planes, what's going on or have I finally lost it :-)

RAF

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
There is definitely an element of the bomber in there, thats why it isn't actually the MR.4 anymore but actually the MRA.4 (A for attack)

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Would anyone really want to fly in anything with the name "Nimrod"???

Seriously...reminds me that although pink was scientifically the best color for stealth, that many felt pilots wouldn't feel well flying around in a pink plane, hehe...

RAB

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
like pink the RAF painted a load of jag pink for GW1

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Its a Maritime Patrol Aircraft, and that includes patrolling warzones. Seems stupid to not give it the ability to attack if needed.

RAB

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RichardPrice
Its a Maritime Patrol Aircraft, and that includes patrolling warzones. Seems stupid to not give it the ability to attack if needed.

The MR2 can attack but this seems to take that ability and move it to a level that the UK hasn't had since we binned the Vulcan. With the comms and detection equipment onboad the Nimrod could float around the target zone for hours then attack targets from stand off range with CALCMs. (Bomber) A bit like the B1B (The B!B) looks better but the Nimrod's has on the gear on board were as the B1B needs another ground based support crew.

new topics

top topics

join