It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

78 Year old Man Sucker Punched Protestor at Trump Rally

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

originally posted by: grainofsand
The term 'thug' is racially neutral in the UK, is it not in the US?
I find that strange/interesting.

It was racially neutral until very recently.

The Racially Charged Meaning Behind The Word 'Thug'

Well, the truth is that thug today is a nominally polite way of using the N-word. Many people suspect it, and they are correct. When somebody talks about thugs ruining a place, it is almost impossible today that they are referring to somebody with blond hair. It is a sly way of saying there go those black people ruining things again. And so anybody who wonders whether thug is becoming the new N-word doesn't need to. It's most certainly is.

If you're not American then you're probably not going to be exposed to that side of the word, but in recent years it's a term to primarily describe young black men than simply ruffians.

The more frustrating part of this whole story is the fact that the guy who got punched was thrown to the ground by the police but the old guy was allowed to sit back in his seat. Only to be arrested some time afterwards.

I agree, in the UK they all would have been arrested but the thug label would have been given to the old guy who used violence when he was at risk of no attack himself. Thug is just a generic term for someone who unjustifiably uses violence in Britain...we have just as many but we don't attribute the term to any particular race.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: links234

The term 'thug' is racially neutral in the UK, is it not in the US?
I find that strange/interesting.

It was racially neutral until very recently.

The Racially Charged Meaning Behind The Word 'Thug'

Well, the truth is that thug today is a nominally polite way of using the N-word. Many people suspect it, and they are correct. When somebody talks about thugs ruining a place, it is almost impossible today that they are referring to somebody with blond hair. It is a sly way of saying there go those black people ruining things again. And so anybody who wonders whether thug is becoming the new N-word doesn't need to. It's most certainly is.

If you're not American then you're probably not going to be exposed to that side of the word, but in recent years it's a term to primarily describe young black men than simply ruffians.

The more frustrating part of this whole story is the fact that the guy who got punched was thrown to the ground by the police but the old guy was allowed to sit back in his seat. Only to be arrested some time afterwards.

I agree, in the UK they all would have been arrested but the thug label would have been given to the old guy who used violence when he was at risk of no attack himself. Thug is just a generic term for someone who unjustifiably uses violence in Britain...we have just as many but we don't attribute the term to any particular race.

This thread is proof of the American racist use of the word "thug". If it weren't racist code for "black person", then why are people using it to refer to the protester and not Fisty McCowboy?

edit on 10-3-2016 by Abysha because: punctuationalizationalism

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: starfoxxx
Obviously a paid plant

Paid plant or not it doesnt excuse violence on the part of Trump supporters

Is this excuse your way of blowing it off? So youre for violent responses to free speech?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

The thuggish behaviour was clearly the old guy, it's mad how you guys take a word and then attribute it to the race of the offender...maybe it's a US/UK cultural thing?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

I don't know man, I would say its more depending on the situation and who is calling who what. I would say yes a handful of people who were calling the victim a thug were using it in a racist manner, perhaps without even realizing. But in general, half of suburban American high schoolers like to claim thug life, and many of them are young white Americans.

In the USA, a thug is more commonly synonymous with gangster, hoodlum, criminal entrepreneur. But even most mainstream (radio) hip-hop and rap music stopped promoting this culture as a status which is chased by youngsters as a title to be worn proudly. Unfortunately, this glamorizing of criminal behavior still runs rampant within the movie and television industry.

So lets be real, thug is only racist when it is obvious racist. Such as being used to describe a black victim of violent crime by an old white man who was attacked not out of self defense.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:57 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I keep looking into it and the words use very, very subjective. Of course it is used to describe some person who acts violent towards another. More and more though it's being used by white people to describe black people.

And then a shift happened. Thug began to be used, not so much in a different sense, but by a different group. Trayvon Martin was described as a thug. So was Michael Brown. So were those who protested Michael Brown’s death. Thug, a word once used by a sub-set of a minority community to describe itself, was suddenly being used by an elite, mostly white, mostly wealthy class to tar the entirety of a minority community. A word that was, in a sense empowering, was now being used as a shorthand for “black people doing things we disapprove of.” Historically, there have been other words used for that same purpose. That “thug” doesn’t have as long a history of obvious racism as some other words does not make its new and unfortunate meaning any less racist.

Thug: The Evolution Of A Racist Code Word
The term is not simple and entirely depends on the context. If it's a white person describing a black protester, then it could have racial undertones. I don't think anyone should fault you for using it in the way you did. If that previous poster did then they're in the wrong in this instance.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:59 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

We have more white thugs in the UK than non-white thugs...just saying to help understand my perspective.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Well the sad truth is that is probably correct here in the states as well. Thug = Goon = Gangster = Entrepreneurial Criminal = Wall Street/most of congress. Violent behavior can be overt or subtle.

The old man in this instance behaved thuggishly towards a non-violent young man who was of a darker skin color. The fact that some chose instead to refer to the victim as the thug may indicate the possibility of racist undertones existing subconsciously within them since the statement is so clearly false.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: whyamIhere

Yes, he is announcing it tomorrow.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AmericanRealist

It's a pity race comes into it, in the UK it wouldn't, different worlds I guess, we've got over that bull#. ..and I wish the rest of the world could x

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
I see this thread brought out the E-Thugs.

Hahaha.

Still laughing.
edit on 10-3-2016 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

What is an E-thug??

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Sorry... I have to wave the BS flag on the pseudo shock and disgust over the use of the word thug...
Is it not equally possible that folks are doing so due to the first video in the OP being a 6:41 "i hate trump" tirade from
"THUG LIFE VINES"?

Nah....couldn't be that.
edit on 10-3-2016 by blood0fheroes because: Meh

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I don't really don't care who,what,or why those kids went to a Trump pep session. What I'm interested in is Trump's reaction. I suppose it will be, no responsibility, the same as his failed businesses.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:33 PM
link   

What is an E-thug??

Like a cigarette to an e-cigarette, less harmful, far more obnoxious.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:54 PM
link   

What is an E-thug??

Most twitter users.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: AmericanRealist
a reply to: xuenchen

A search for Rakeem Jones also did not turn up a criminal record in that county, but I am not really certain how their record keeping works, so we may not have access to everything. For now, whoever made that bet lost. Rakeem is clean.

That is the slowest interview ever! BUT at 10:00 they talk about how McGraw said "he didn't know if he was a terrorist, next time I see him I may have to kill him?". This dude is looney tunes and probably armed. If he really said that he needs his guns confiscated. Yes, I SAID IT. Some people give just cause for LE to do that. This guy just did.

Really messed up how the kid gets put down on the ground by the cops and do nothing to McGraw.
Cops were everywhere and saw it all?
WTH went on before this is what I want to see and hear.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: blood0fheroes

That's fine. I mean, I'm just trying to explain how the word is kind of being used by some people to describe only black people. The word has varying meanings depending on the context.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Speaking personally - completely anecdotal - the only instances I've seen of folks referring solely to blacks as thugs :
A. Do not refer to all black people as thugs; only those who refer to themselves as such, a la thug life vines
And / Or
B. Have not travelled extensively enough to meet folks from any given city of any given race who all have a segment which refer to themselves as thugs, or a synonym.

I hope that helps to explain my incredulity. I'm sure that somewhere there is in fact at least one soul in the world who refers to all black people as thugs. That is about all I can concede.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:50 PM
link   
After watching the video of the entire speech Trump said "Hello, hello- a bit early isn't it? Get them out of here, out. Go home to mother. That is disgusting (comment at being flipped off). Why is it we can't do that? Disgusting." The MSNBC interview is biased it isn't funny. They must show the guy hitting him 20 times, they play it over and over and over.
Rakeem was in the 2nd group of protestors told to leave (there was 3rd after- new tactic interrupting in waves). Sure, nothing organized there, right?

He flipped the audience off first, not after Trump said "Go home to mother".
You wanna be an ass people will treat you like one.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join