It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump Modeling Agency-H1B Problems and Slave Labor

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Models are unique. If you discover a young model that has a unique look, you can't just duplicate it. After all, people are individuals. If that model is a citizen of another country and you want to give them a shot, you'd have to get an H1-B to bring them here to work.

Per H1-B guidelines.

A bachelor’s degree or higher degree or its equivalent is normally the minimum requirement for the particular position;

The degree requirement is common for this position in the industry, or the job is so complex or unique that it can only be performed by someone with at least a bachelor's degree in a field related to the position;

The employer normally requires a degree or its equivalent for the position; or

The nature of the specific duties is so specialized and complex that the knowledge required to perform the duties is usually associated with the attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree

This is a bit different than companies bringing over hordes of Indian programmers to replace American programmers. The last bullet would apply to a model as someone's physical appearance could be deemed as specialized since it can't be duplicated.

I am not defending Trump, but I see this for what it is... a smear.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Bull#

You have 300 million citizens in your country.

Trump could have found a model from a AMERICAN who needed a job.

So what if the pretty American has a diffrent look from from that a pretty Jamaican?
Its just a pretty face.

Why not import burger flippers with your logic xause each burger flipper will cook there burgers in uniq8 and diffrent ways!

HB1 visa were meant to allow extraordinary talent that would benefit the USA or whose allowing which would create jobs/economic growth.
Not some dumb models pretty face.

A world class actor yes
A famous scientist yes

Take my company.
It has sites in the USA and UK. When a R&D projects finnished in the UK we need to send experts over to the USA to set up the manufacturering process, thats dozens of US jobs created. So again HB-1b was designed for that.

A no name foreign model is not going to contribute any extra money or jobs to the USA than a US citizen.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Bull#

So what if the pretty American has a diffrent look from from that a pretty Jamaican?
Its just a pretty face.

Why not import burger flippers with your logic xause each burger flipper will cook there burgers in uniq8 and diffrent ways!

HB1 visa were meant to allow extraordinary talent that would benefit the USA or whose allowing which would create jobs/economic growth.

A world class actor yes
A famous scientist yes

Take my company.
It has sites in the USA and UK. When a R&D projects finnished in the UK we need to send experts over to the USA to set up the manufacturering process, thats dozens of US jobs created. So again HB-1b was designed for that.

A no name foreign model is not going to contribute any extra money or jobs to the USA than a US citizen.

You can't be serious...

I guess you also missed the part where the company lost money on this model. Last time I checked, companies typically are importing h1-bs to save money, not lose it.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: ManBehindTheMask
a reply to: reldra

Pretty much , and not surprised at all , the man is a flat out liar

He says whatever he needs to to pander to his base, and they eat it up without thinking twice or fact checking him.

I started a thread today about the lawsuit against him for his "Trump University" , brought about by the NY attorney General, and Ive gotten nothing but vitriolic hate from his supporters.....

Its really really amusing

No, you go facts about the suit and weren't able to defend your position.

OK,so you are smarter than this guy in this area of the law:

"If someone isn't being paid what they are supposed to be paid, they are being exploited," said Neil Ruiz, executive director of the Center for Law, Economics and Finance at George Washington University and a national expert on H-1B visas. "This case shows that [Trump's] own company has benefited from exploiting his own H-1B visa holders."

(note, everything I quote is from the article in the original OP)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Bull#

Its just a pretty face.

A world class actor yes
A famous scientist yes

Take my company.

True and trump doing this not only exploited the model, but the model probably had to go and get some other job that displaced an American worker in order to survive.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:46 PM
link   
On the plus side, however, Trump's foreign-born, model, wife Melania is doing really well.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Bull#

Its just a pretty face.

A world class actor yes
A famous scientist yes

Take my company.

You can't be serious...

I guess you also missed the part where the company lost money on this model. Last time I checked, companies typically are importing h1-bs to save money, not lose it.

Again irrelevant.

The company could have lost money with a American model instead not a Jamaican one.

edit on 11-3-2016 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Well, it's not just Trump ... the entire modeling industry is rife with fraud. There are a LOT of talent scams out there that use/abuse models.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: reldra

There can't be a "prevailing wage" in modeling because models work on commission. It may be totally true the average model makes $75k. However, this is not a salary. It is commissions earned from being chosen for shoots.

In my business, it would be totally accurate to say the average person at my company makes $200,000 / yr in commissions. However, we do have a high number of employees who barely make $30k / yr. It is a tough business and 20% of the employees are responsible for 80% of the commissions earned. The low earners tend to washout relatively quickly. Come and go after they figure out they don't have what it takes.

If I were trying to hire an H1-b and I filled out the application, it would not be a lie to say expected income of this person is $200,000. However, beyond that, I cannot guarantee their earnings as it is not a salaried position. They either are successful or they aren't.

Even in the article you linked, it notes that there is a disconnect in the immigration law and how the modeling agency business works. Given foreigners are often in high demand for unusual beauty which is why they'd want to bring her here for work. She was paid for worked booked through the agency. This is nothing more than a failed model.

There is no evidence that she is a failed model. I see plenty evidence she was taken advantage of though.

Trump University, Trump Modeling- what difference, at this point, does it make?

How many modeling jobs did she get through the agency? How much was she paid per job?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join