It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frustration with NASA internet "ease of access" to data

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:39 AM
link   
I like to look at images from the Viking 1 & 2 Orbiter missions that happened in the mid 1970. I stumble around the NASA sites with NasaView 3.13.0 and Viking Orbiter 1 & 2 Image Browser (from NASA). Several years ago with an earlier version of NasaView and Win 98, I was able to access the images. These days with the updated versions and Win 10 I can't pull up the images no matter what. I get the individual text data for the images with either program, and even the image sizes in their Image Browser, but no pics. Anybody have a clue? Of course the chief problem is my ineptness and lack of savvy of computer jargon, but dang it, why isn't the process made more easy for those of us with minimal computer skills? I started to put this into the Rant forum, but decided few would be interested in this specialized problem and it is a computer/user problem. Could win 10 be the problem?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Or, they could have been blocked for a reason similiar to this...

NASA BUSTED - CURIOSITY ROVER NOT ON MARS BUT GREENLAND

Pretty convincing, gotta admit.

No doubt others will be along shortly to debunk the debunker video.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

I realize that my thread, not intended actually to be for the New page, was a bit underwhelming for some, but you just bettered it.
Thanks.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I'm not sure how to take that.

Do you want me to edit my post, removing the info entirely? I can do that, no prob. Let me know.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The package says its only been testing in a virtual XP service pack 3 environment so anything within the last 5-10 years is probably a bit too new for it and given its supported on solaris 7
you know its ancient software under pretty much no maintenance other than perhaps fixing a few spelling errors etc

it might work if you set it to run as a windows xp executable under compatibility setting but with stuff thats had no love basically for that long its going to be hopeful and theres no guarantee it'll work especially with 64 bit systems

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
The package says its only been testing in a virtual XP service pack 3 environment so anything within the last 5-10 years is probably a bit too new for it and given its supported on solaris 7
you know its ancient software under pretty much no maintenance other than perhaps fixing a few spelling errors etc

it might work if you set it to run as a windows xp executable under compatibility setting but with stuff thats had no love basically for that long its going to be hopeful and theres no guarantee it'll work especially with 64 bit systems

I appreciate your answer.
--Another reason to wish back my XP and 7.
(Mods delete this post if desired.)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The last time I used NASAView was some days ago, on Windows 10, without any problem.
Can you give me an example of the images you cannot see?
edit on 10/3/2016 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

I can open the text files from my interest area, the Viking missions, with NASAView 3.13.0, Viking Orbiter View, and ImagJ. All I seem to get are screens full of computer language characters with question marks in a black diamond shape in lieu of data.

It's been some years since I've done this. Must be my screw-ups.

edit on 10-3-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-3-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Well, if you don't give me an example of an image that has that behaviour I cannot help you.

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Windows 10, even with Windows Defender temporary turned off, won't allow the downloading of the decompression file: pcdcomp.exe. Even clicking "Allow anyway" doesn't accept the download.

I run Kaspersky, it usually tells me if it doesn't like something.

edit on 11-3-2016 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2016 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Where can I find that "pcdcomp.exe" to try? That looks more like a browser behaviour than a Windows behaviour.

top topics

join