It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man's greatest Creation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I agree with William, art is the most important human creation I can think of, and yes, Illmatic, it is a creation. Producing children is in our instinct, as it is in animals. Art is not. It is a form of self expression born out of intelligence and abstract thought, the very thing which allows us to invent and create all the wonderful things mentioned in this thread.

Second to art, I'd have to say the wheel, or alcohol.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67
lol @ these people trying to be philosophical.

Art and Children? Those weren't creations, those are discoveries.

Excuse me, I happen to be an artist and the images I create are no discovery. Artists have visions upon which they execute their creations.

If you think all artists do is play around till they discovery something you're wrong.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Total Enslavement
Excuse me, I happen to be an artist and the images I create are no discovery. Artists have visions upon which they execute their creations.

If you think all artists do is play around till they discovery something you're wrong.

Exuse me but I happened to be an artist also. I only use the pen to create my images the way a painter uses his paintbrush. And I think of my writings as a discovery of something new of mine, an innovation.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 04:11 PM
link   
"Exuse me but I happened to be an artist also. I only use the pen to create my images the way a painter uses his paintbrush. And I think of my writings as a discovery of something new of mine, an innovation."

So are you saying that when you write creatively there is no intelligence, abstract thought or inventiveness involved? Do the sentences you write just materialise spontaneously through coincidence?

What do you see as the difference between the discovery and creation? And how would you define these two things?

Art is a creation. To achieve art requires abstract thought and creativity. Art is the very basis of human intelligence, and it is accepted by scientists that humans' evolution into the intelligent beings we are today was defined by the appearance of early forms of art, about 30,000 years ago. It is what separates us from animals. Reproduction, which you compared to art, is something we have in common with animals. There is no intelligence involved in the mating instinct.

[Edited on 19-6-2003 by CiderGood_HeadacheBad]

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Hm...i agree..children are not one of mans greatest creations, its simply survival. We reproduce so our species can go on.
i wonder if anyone thinks, Dolly the cloned sheep could be one of mans greatest creations?
"Some people devote thier whole lives to Be one with God, Others devote thier whole lives to utterly become God".

Deep

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   
BYRD
Language..You said that that was mans greatest creation..would that not be the same as someone else who had said that children were mans greatest creation?
I mean every animal has some sorta way to comunicate with eachother, whales use sonar, birds chirp.
Is that not a natural instinct?...
Deep

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   
art is certainly not a discovery. the wheel and fire are discoveries. archetypes of creation exist before and after man. the wheel will not cease to exist after man has. the art of man, and the tools of man, may be his only true creations.
the greatest creation to date, in my opinion, is the internet, which is enabling voluntary e.s.p..

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:32 PM
link   
erm...

The Atkins Diet

And the renaissance.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Oh, and you cant forget CNN too.
*hums cnn ident music*

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
David would you mind shareing with us what it is your takeing? Because I think my doctor is holding out on me...

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:35 PM
link   
billybob
I agree, internet is the greatest creation of man.
Lol, but im not sure about the esp thing..lol
I just think it is for its power to bring together billions of people from all walks of life!
Deep

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I would have to say The Vibrator

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Actually i love the CBS Evening News more than CNN, Dan Rather is the truth behind the fact that when your old you can still make a difference.
And he has those lovely ratherisms.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by kitty
I would have to say The Vibrator

I'm not sure of what to say...some kind of responce is required...where did we as men wrong you lass?

No, never mind...wrong forum, wrong topic. Maybe some other time.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Vibrator.....i said.....MANS?...NOT WOMENS GREATEST CREATION..lol...just jokes

But yeah like advisor said.....were did we men go around so that women would have to resort to vibrators?
Deep

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Man's world:

Remote: TV
No remote: too much effort

Woman's world:

Vibrator: Remote
No vibrator: too much effort

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:54 PM
link   
LoL..thats too funny..

Deep

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I would have to say that mans greatest creation is definately sports

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 08:59 PM
link   
SPORTS?

Slap
Pull
Observe
Release
Tap
Squeeze

Thats not an invention, just common sence. Oh you meant the competition.

posted on Jun, 15 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Fire.... Yes, fire itself is a discovery, but the ability to make fire is an invention. Fire separates us from the animals, even more so than thumbs and language do. Fire allows us to use more energy than our bodies are capable of producing. It allows us to go anywhere, and do anything, on earth...

And, no, I'm not a pyromaniac.

Jim

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join