It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Scary occurance reading a book

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

posted on Mar, 13 2016 @ 11:10 AM
a reply to: peppycat A powerful story, a lot of strange occurrences around making the movie. One reason is the devil would prefer to stay under the radar, he is most effective around ignorant people. Just reading the book may open up people.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 12:28 PM
a reply to: peppycat

I saw the movie The Exorcist when it came out in the theater two nights in a row. The first night, I went with a bunch of friends, I think we were all 15 or 16, and we just caused a scene and laughed through the whole thing. I think it was kind of a defense thing; we were afraid of seeming like it scared us so we weren't really paying attention to the plot or dialog, just laughing at the pea soup flying, etc. But then the second night I went back with one friend and we sat in silence through the whole movie and while I was pretty much scared sh!tless my friend was in such an extremely distraught way he demanded that we go immediately to see a lay preacher we knew. I think he thought he was possessed.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 03:42 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer I've used laughter to ward off anything too scary from effecting my thoughts.
I laughed about your friend wanting to see a lay preacher after watching the movie, but it is really interesting how something that's supposed to be fictional can scare you and disrupt your mental balance.
I'm going to have to look up to see if there is a chemical release in the brain when your scared, much like when your happy or feeling loving.
Thanks for sharing, it got me thinking.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:21 PM

Hi peppycat, thanks for the reply. I think it's pretty common to use laughter to mask fear and pain too. I know when I hurt myself really bad I usually laugh, but not really when I cut myself badly and blood is everywhere.

Anyway, it wasn't funny at all at the time although in hindsight I guess it is. The guy had no lasting ill effects but the way he insisted I drive him over to the preacher's house at night after we got out of the theater... well, I was a little concerned. He just didn't seem himself, didn't seem right. Not saying I believe he was possessed from watching a movie or anything but the power of the mind is incredible. I'm also not saying that you can't attract the attention of bad things by what you focus your mind on. I know sometimes I'll be reading for too long in the paranormal forum and get pretty creeped out late at night. Starts to feel like I'm being watched and I need to take a break for awhile.

You know I bet you're right about a chemical release in the brain when your extremely terrified. I've been there, just totally panic stricken and immobilized by fear. Not a good place.

edit on 3/18/2016 by wtbengineer because: add space, too big a block of text

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 04:46 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer There are some things I just won't touch with a ten foot pole, they scare me so bad and they are things that I feel if I give them any attention, they could somehow manifest in my life.
I watched a show on mysterious unexplained things and it being the light of day, I'll tell you what it is I can't read or watch about, black eyed children.
There are some things, that you can conquer your fear over and for me, the BEC are something I just cannot handle. I know exactly what you mean about getting spooked in the paranormal forums, I've pushed through some cryptzoology threads feeling little spooked out too.
I'm looking into what it is that goes on in your mind that is beyond fight or flight, that feeling you described of being immobilized.
I didn't mean to make light of your friends experience, it was most likely a weird and stressful situation at the time. Did he get to see the preacher and or did he get back to feeling better?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:01 PM

Yeah, it all ended up fine. He went and asked the preacher to pray for him and I think if I remember right he was feeling better by the time we left there.

My worst fear is probably the subject matter of the movie I was just talking about a while ago. I don't even want to name it or think about it right now, it's dark here and I'm not going there. I grew up in a house that was haunted, or I was haunted as a child. Things that happened to me from a young age just terrified me and by the time I was a teenager things were moving on their own and falling off the walls and footsteps like 10 people walking around and around in my bedroom while I watched TV down in the room below.

I'm going to stop talking about that now, like I said, it's dark here and I don't want to go there. I had a very stressful day and have had some things really causing some panic and anxiety lately as it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 07:26 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer Hope you feel better and you can find something, light bright and cheerful to help your mind relax. I like the anime movie Howells Moving Castle to get me out of any dark anxiety funk.
Or looking up different flowers and butterflies.
Whatever works, happy thoughts and peaceful energy to you!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 08:40 PM

Thanks, that's very sweet of you. What's that movie about? Never heard of it. Whatever works, I really need to get through this and move on to some better place.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 09:27 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer

It has colorful bright scenes and a beautiful soundtrack that I find really soothing and if you like fantastical adventures it's really a fun movie.

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:03 PM

Hey thanks for putting that trailer link up here! I looked it up on Amazon and they want like $15 for it. So I don't know if I'll watch it, but it might be cool I just don't know.

I'll check it out!
edit on 3/18/2016 by wtbengineer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:08 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer That's just the trailer, sorry , hope you can find it at a reasonable price. Are there any video rental places left? It might be at the library. Netflix?
There was a time I was dealing with heavy paranoia and fears and the best solution was anything by Hayao Miyazaki,

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:19 PM

Yeah I realized it was just the trailer after I started watching it but I thought I edited my post before you had a chance to see it.
I'll think about getting it, I see it is available by some sellers for less, so maybe. The trailer looks cool, thanks for turning me on to it!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:25 PM
a reply to: wtbengineer No problem, I've been in a similar boat and Hayao Miyazaki films helped me through.
The soundtrack to Howl's Moving Castle is really comforting and I remember going to sleep with it on a loop. It was nice waking up to that music in the middle off the night.
Take care and be well!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:28 PM

Thanks, you too!

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:35 PM

OH MY GOD just as I was about to read this I was interrupted by a family member who knocked on my door (I'm not even kidding) and asked if I was ok... because they had just heard a loud thump and thought I had fallen out of my bed? Which is odd because... that's never been a problem before. I'm a fully functioning adult, fairly young yet however slightly middle-aged(33). And I didn't hear a thing, NOT A THING I TELL YOU! Then... already slightly spooked by mysterious house noises, I had to go and read your post. LOL.

Never had a strange book experience like yours though, sorry to say.

I didn't read the thread yet so I apologize if you've already clarified. But... do you believe in God?

posted on Mar, 18 2016 @ 10:55 PM
a reply to: geezlouise Lol! Glad you didn't fall out of bed!
Yes, I believe in God, at the time that my scary occurrence happened, I believed in everything about Christ, but I had problems with God and didn't trust in him as I do now.
I may have been more susceptible to anything that may act as a portal for negative entities at that point in my life. i'm just glad I shut the book, never to open it again. Even now, with my faith in Jesus, I have no desire to try to read it again because of the feeling of fear it gave me and still gives me. I see no point in asking Jesus to help me read it, even if the story is interesting... I'm fine without it.
I had seen the movie, more than once in my life and I was young the first time I watched it, but things in movies are easily explained away... like pea soup for the puking scene.
I did however have dreams that I was possessed and floating over my bed when I was younger from watching the movie, but for some reason I can deal with dreams easily and they have never been a problem.

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:31 AM
i have a lot of books and the family i grew up in we were always reading books we were all ''readers'' ,and i only ever had one weird experience ,i worked with a Jehovahs Witness he was quite a good guy and as i was brought up as a Catholic and wasnt happy with the Catholic religion , i asked him what he believed etc ,so had a Bible study with him ,my parents were not happy about this, but tolerated it as i was living at home,one day my father gave me this blue booklet from the Catholic church just entitled ''Jehovahs witnesses'', i had a read of it and straight away i could see it wasnt backed up by Bible Scriptures and had no real basis to support its anti ,while i was reading it ,i keep hearing this scratching noise, i kept flipping over the pages but could not find anything ,then i opened a page and there was this live Scorpion looking at me that scared the crap out of me ! i told my father, and said'' im not reading this anymore '',he took the booklet and threw the scorpion into the wood stove we had ,strangely enough it says in the Bible ''what father would hand his son a scorpion if he asked for and egg ''or something like that

posted on Mar, 19 2016 @ 12:37 AM
a reply to: ozb1777 I would have jumped sky high, squealed and shivered at the sight of a scorpion inside a book. Good thing you didn't get stung!

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:05 PM
Hello Peppy, yes I have had such an experience many years ago.
I had been recommended "Toward the Light" a work widely read in the occult realm, to which I was a closet member.

Parts of it I found intriguing but there was a feeling of discomfort that I rejected because I was curious as to why people so highly praised it.
One evening relaxing with the book, I was determined to have an open mind, but the book became warm in my hands, and suddenly I felt an electric hot sensation and I threw it away.
I will not relate the passage that had this effect since it is irrelevant to the topic.

But what I hear is the question, "Are we touched by what we see, read and hear?"
Yes, I know we are.

posted on Apr, 19 2016 @ 07:16 PM
a reply to: WalkInSilence Thank you for sharing your experience. Is ''Into the Light' about NDE?'

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>