It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How LONG is it going to take to understand...?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:43 PM
link   
How long is it going to take to understand that jacket pockets are REALLY important in sport coats and suit coats?

I HATE "show", I want function. If I buy a jacket with pockets, I expect to be able to USE them. Pockets which are sewn shut pisss me off.

Some jackets you can cut the threads and have pockets, but many of the newer jackets If you cut the threads you've got NOTHING.

How FREAKING damn hard is it to give guys who buy a sportcoat / jacket a damn pocket????

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

It's those little things....

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Buy one that costs more than $20.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Latest one cost $159 bucks, not cheap. If it was $20 bucks I wouldn't be so damn mad!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
Pockets which are sewn shut pisss me off.

The jackets with real pockets that are sewn shut are done so that when people try on the jackets they do not deform the pockets or stress the seams.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I'm fine with this...as long as they can be cut open to be usable!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

How long is it going to take to understand that jacket pockets are REALLY important in sport coats and suit coats?

I know, Bubba, I know...

P.S. You will also want to check out TravelSmith and Orvis.

I feel your pain. Even Hugo Boss doesn't quite get it.

edit on 9-3-2016 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:49 PM
link   

I agree. I use the jacket pockets on my suits so having ones that are aesthetic only is pointless.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   
They are the single most DAMN important feature of sport coat! Period. (for anyone who ever wears a sport coat on a regular basis).

Why can't manufacturers understand this?????

...just FLOORS me!!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I always check. Last time I looked at one with no pockets, I dropped it on the floor and walked away. Not a word was spoken.

effers ... they knew.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:43 PM
link   

I don't mind as long as there is a hidden pocket next to my heart area.

It looks unprofessional walking around with your hands in your pockets.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I hear you. I only wear a coat to funerals and weddings; really..... it's inSANE to wear a coat at all in our usual heat, but ... convention, socialization, backhand comments -- all stuff that I should not concern myself with, but do.

Bought a coat from a very limited selection that actually fit. Apparently, I'm the ONLY 48 long in the country. Inside pocket, check. But where to put my sunglasses? Seems a tad cavalier to hook them on my tie tack. Here was the kicker for me: Not even the front coat hankie pocket was real!!! Were these made in an alternative universe?

Don't they understand that pockets are the purses of men? We have stuff we have to carry. God forbid we should leave our ridiculously huge modern smart phones in the car to be stolen. I admit, that was a gimme. I carry a lightweight dinky phone. It's just a phone. No camera. No features. No wallpaper, tinny ring tone. Still, I feel for my brothers who have fallen prey to the marketing of our phone company.

We are doomed to either pay by-the-pocket huge prices for sport coats, or walk around like mooks with our pants pockets bulging with the detritus of our compliant existence. Oh, the horror.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
wow - jut wow - no pockets ????????????????????????????????

blinks

my idea of a " sports coat " comes with :

cargo pockets - 2
hand warmer pockets - 2
breast pockets -1 is mandatory - 2 is a bonus
inside pocket - 1 is mandatory - 2 is a bonus

i guess i am doing different sports

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Really not hard at all. While they are at it why not just sell an entire ensemble together. Get a suit, tie, pocket scarf, shoes, socks and shirt all together for one price.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:51 AM
link   

See, now this is one of my pet peeves these days.

I think it has gotten to the point where there needs to be a separate menswear range, offered by every store. The reason I say that, is because there seem to be two different types of consumer of menswear.

First, the practical man. No matter whether he is searching for jeans, a suit jacket, or a windbreaker, he will be after a garment which has no purely cosmetic features of any sort. If a pocket can be seen, it can be used. Also, practical men do not want Lycra in their shirts, pants, trousers, or their suit jackets, and CERTAINLY not in their denim jeans. A practical man wants to buy garments which are sturdily built, properly cut, elegant and functional at the same time.

Second, the facade on legs. This individual wants everything to be skin tight, stretchable, easy to wash, full of man made fibres, and does not care about how well made, or practical his clothing is. This is the sort of man who would by combat trousers made of spandex, with paint on pockets. It only has to LOOK good, not work well, which is often reflected in the skill and temperament of such a person. This is the sort of guy who would not know what one was referring to if one spoke of bleeding a radiator, let alone how to actually perform the task.

Now, there is nothing wrong with being totally absorbed by ones appearance, but there is something wrong with catering exclusively to the sort of chap who likes his denim to contain tiny bungee cords. The fact is that practical men want suits made out of natural fibres, with full, deep pockets, their denim to only contain original denim, their undergarments to be made exclusively from natural fibres, and for every aparant function and advantage of a particular garment, to actually BE a function or advantage, not to merely look good.

To that end, I am wearing combat trousers with six pockets, a fleece with three, and a hiking waistcoat with fourteen pockets. They all work, because I get all my practical wear from the army and navy store!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

bleeding a radiator

is the correct answer :

a ) shoot it

b ) stab it

c) round house kick it

d ) all of the above

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Stabbing would be ineffective and a properly fitted radiator will stand up to significant blunt force assault. Shooting it would technically work, depending on the muzzle velocity and calibre of the weapon and ammunition deployed, but would damage the radiator.

Most people take a radiator bleed key, marry it to the cap at the side of the top of the radiator, and twist, opening the valve until all the gas built up in the system bleeds out, and water begins to seep through, at which point they seal the thing back up.

top topics

join