It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Creates Big Data Platform for ‘Pre-Crime’

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:48 PM
link   
There's an algorithm that predicts the probability where crimes will be commited and it reduced crime in some areas by 50%. That's geographical. What China is doing is going to a whole new level.

Once the realm of science-fiction film Minority Report, China is using its sophisticated surveillance system as a basis for a new “unified information environment” that will be used to predict if someone will commit a crime before they actually do it.

Each citizen will be profiled and tracked – this includes their online behaviour, financial transactions, and where they go and who they visit. All the while, authorities will be looking for any break in the norm that could be an indicator of potential “terrorism.” The system could watch for unexpected money transfers, overseas calls by individuals with no relatives outside of the country, and so on. The technology they’re using was actually pioneered in the US.

The legislation states that companies “shall provide technical interfaces, decryption and other technical support and assistance to public security and state security agencies when they are following the law to avert and investigate terrorist activities”. This is pretty much the “golden key” that FBI Director James Comey has been demanding in the US – it is not therefore surprising to hear that China has taken a keen interest in the outcome of the ongoing legal battle between Apple and the FBI over the iPhone used by San Bernardino jihadist Syed Farook.

www.breitbart.com...

This will be in the United States if it isn't already here.

This is truly a two way street because on one hand, this is just big data. There isn't a human that can look at all of this data. Look at Twitter:

Every second, on average, around 6,000 tweets are tweeted on Twitter (visualize them here), which corresponds to over 350,000 tweets sent per minute, 500 million tweets per day and around 200 billion tweets per year.

A human can't do anything with all of that data. So you will have an intelligent algorithm looking for a signal in the noise. So around 3-5% of the data will actually be seen and the figure gets much lower than that as data gets bigger.

So I understand the need for big data. Sadly though, with humans comes great abuse of things like this especially from Governments. If China is using all of these data points then America and other Countries will want to do the same.

This is the world that we're living in. Intelligent algorithms will look at data from breast cancer and AIDS. Frankly, this can't be stopped as data and technology increases.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

As far as keeping up with incoming data. The U.S. Airforce has gone to ESPN to help with the influx of data.

www.rt.com...

So it can be done i suppose. Time will tell.
There was a case not long ago in Chicago, I think. Where a man was in a city park parking lot. When the predictive crime computer predicted activity to happen. The police arrived and ask the man to leave before park closure hours. When the man refused, an altercation and arrest was made.
I can't find the article. But it was a thread here on ats. I can't find a legit source however.
edit on 9-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: Spelling

edit on 9-3-2016 by Bigburgh because: Lots of spelling oh my

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:36 PM
link   
But if they turn behavior that is not criminal into a crime, isn't that actually creating new crimes and effectively raising crime? How do you reduce crime by raising crime?
edit on 9-3-2016 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Also, I have suspected for a long time that the Chinese government is a puppet of the American government. That would make sense in this context if you think of it as them working the bugs out of something like this in a country where it's acceptable. The Chinese government obviously does not have a reputation to protect as far as civil liberties go. Unless they're proud of a bad reputation on that.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:24 PM
link   
a reply to: neoholographic

So this new stuff is about money crimes and not in-the-street knifings, robberies or domestic violence?

I think it is called surveillance? Pretty catchy technique going around I understand. Based on if you leave an electronic footprint they amass those and gotcha!?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I'd say something critical of the Chinese government here, but you know. Happen to fly through the country, get detained because of an online comment made years ago...*eye roll*

new topics

top topics

join