It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Florida mom shot in back by 4-year-old son, deputies say

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Another parent of the year award! Some people really need to be chemically castrated. The thing that sounds odd to me is that the weapon is/was a .45 cal... that is quite a puch for a 4yr. Old.... Me smells skunk.... OR not?

@ 4 yrs old, I have to question this. More importantly the parenting AND lack thereof

A sheriff's deputy saw 31-year-old Jamie Gilt of Jacksonville behaving frantically inside the truck Tuesday afternoon and quickly realized she'd been shot, according to the Putnam County Sheriff's Office.

The woman's son wasn't harmed and was reunited with family members. The Department of Children and Families will investigate.

Deputies say they have not been able to talk to Gilt because of injuries she suffered from the shot. They say she is in UF Helath hospital, and could ultimately face charges related to how she stored the gun.

Storing or leaving a loaded firearm in a way in which a child can access it is a misdemeanor. Deputies say the .45-caliber handgun was on the truck's floor.

Putman deputies found the truck, which was hauling a horse trailer, was partially parked in the road.

WT eff? LINK

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

I heard this one on the radio this morning and was wondering about a 4-year old being able to shoot a .45 as well. I don't personally know how hard it is to squeeze the trigger - if it's an easy squeeze, I guess I could see it randomly firing if he got hold of it, but it sounds like a made-up story to me (for what reason, who knows.)

To clarify: the story of what happened being made-up, not the fact that the did, indeed, have a bullet in her.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Florida Man and Woman have become quite the target for imgur.com, just going to leave these here.

Florida Man
imgur.com...

Florida Woman
imgur.com...

For the real lulz, check out the Florida Man twitter account.
twitter.com...
edit on 9-3-2016 by BIGPoJo because: added twitter link

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Storing or leaving a loaded firearm in a way in which a child can access it is a misdemeanor.

That's just in Florida, right?

My understanding was that some states don't have any safe storage laws... Then people scratch their heads and wonder why the US has over 30,000 gun deaths a year, lol.
edit on 9-3-2016 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:00 PM
link   

This has happened TWICE here, one locally and on a couple of hours away in Chattanooga, in a month!
The tots came across the loaded weapon in the glove box of the vehicle.

There will be no charges against the parents, so far, in the local tragedy.
The mother in Hamilton County will be charged with criminally negligent homicide and child endangerment.

In the local tragedy the child (sibling to the child killed) was attempting to unload the weapon when it discharged.

In the story from FL, I wonder if the weapon had somehow "slid" under the seat into the back of the truck?
Sad all around!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
And she's a huge gun advocate....saying her son gets "jacked up to shoot"

www.rawstory.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Surely a bit of common sense aka "kids + loaded guns = bad idea at that age"?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxatoria
Surely a bit of common sense aka "kids + loaded guns = bad idea at that age"?

Florida Man and Florida Woman don't need common sense because they got them Florida Instincts!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:16 PM
link   
So did the child unlock himself from his federally approved child restraint system, grab the gun and shoot mommy or did he swiftly grab it off the floor of the truck prior to being restrained in his federally approved child restraint system? Just curious. Seems like there is more than one neglectful act here. It's a darn good thing she didn't run into another object after being shot and possibly injuring the child, or herself further.

The new January 2015 Florida law states: Children 5 years old or younger must be secured in a federally approved child restraint system. Children 3 years old and younger must use a separate car-seat or the vehicle's built-in child seat.

www.dmv.org/fl-florida/safety-laws.php

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

From your link...am I reading it right? I keep repeating it...

support for Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz and racist propaganda.

frequently posts about her love of guns and her views on Second Amendment rights, as well as her support for Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz and racist propaganda.

edit on 9-3-2016 by TNMockingbird because: It didn't copy the quote in it's entirety...

edit on 9-3-2016 by TNMockingbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: dogstar23

I heard this one on the radio this morning and was wondering about a 4-year old being able to shoot a .45 as well. I don't personally know how hard it is to squeeze the trigger - if it's an easy squeeze, I guess I could see it randomly firing if he got hold of it, but it sounds like a made-up story to me (for what reason, who knows.)

To clarify: the story of what happened being made-up, not the fact that the did, indeed, have a bullet in her.

Trigger pull on most semi-auto pistols vary, and factory specs range from 5lbs to 9lbs pull seem to be the norm. I do own several 1911's that have been modified to 3lbs. and 3.5lbs pull. These are for plate shoots and plinking, not for carry.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird
a reply to: olaru12

From you link...am I reading it right? I keep repeating it...

support for Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz and racist propaganda.

frequently posts about her love of guns and her views on Second Amendment rights, as well as her support for Republican presidential candidate Ted Cruz and racist propaganda.

The phrase ...."you reap what you sow"......springs to mind.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm just glad the boy didn't shoot himself.

She is being humiliated on her Facebook page...."for Gun Sense".

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

The thing that sounds odd to me is that the weapon is/was a .45 cal... that is quite a puch for a 4yr.

Many of the striker fired pistols, such as Glock, have a trigger pull around 5 to 8 lbs.. It's quite easy to imagine a small child being able to do it. I'm sure it was only one shot, being as he could not have held on to it due to the recoil.....but it only takes one.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I wonder how many of these accidents does it need to occur before the gun advocates realize how badly America is behind on gun laws?
edit on 9-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2016 by TaleDawn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Bah. The 3 year old who shot his mother in the head has this kid beat. (WZZM News: 3-year-old boy shoots mother in head). Shooting your mother in the back is a coward move. Go for the head shot like a real killer would.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:35 PM
link   
I think we can all agree that her posting this on Facebook less than 48 hours before her stupidity resulted in her 4 year-old child getting his hands on a loaded firearm and shooting her in the back, is pretty f'ing ironic:

EDIT:

Somethings amiss. She got shot on Tuesday and yet there's no break in her Facebook posting? (look for yourselves)
edit on 2016-3-9 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:29 PM
link   

It's always Florida.... Simply amazing...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Assuming this is true as written in the news. I have just one question to ask her..

What was such a 'professional' gun advocate doing leaving a loaded, chambered weapon with its safety off, anywhere a child could reach?

I'd also like to suggest that perhaps she should be banned from owning a firearm, for everyones safety, as she seems unable to implement basic firearm safety procedure. I mean, I used to own a couple of pistols before the UK brought in its ban on handguns, and I was always taught, never store a gun with a round chambered, its best not even to store one loaded, always make sure the safety is engaged, and never ever leave one in reach of children.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Don't shoot the messenger. Stay on topic. I get it. However, I can't help but notice an overwhelming number of your posts

are of the most morbid variety. Usually of this nature. Predominantly involving Guns. Always culminating in a pro or

anti-gun squabble. Is this your intend ? Or are you simply fixated on grotesque unhealthy events.

I'm not being mean ReadLeader. I'm actually very very curious what motivates this train of thought & post.

Please reply
Thanks

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join