It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Private thread via invite only

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I was wondering.

Is it possible to make a private thread forum. One where invites grant access? I feel that the ability for people to do drive by debunking and general derailment is a HUGE reason for people not contributing,

I think if we had a forum where OPs can invite those they think would benefit and are willing to learn from could be the greatest thing ever. You would attract those you think are knowledgeable and you trust as being honest.

Have it be RATS, and have it be invite only. Have it be posted and have people REQUEST participation. If not you only get some bullet points on the main screen.

I am just sick, like many of people pretending to want to learn and participate and really they are just trying to impress others at your expense.

I cant bring myself to make threads anymore if any old idiot can come in with a google copy and paste attack and then sit back to act like children.

I understand the need to generate content as an online business. This could incentivize people to join and participate correctly on the boards so as to be invited to the exclusive content some contributors generate.

We would not have lost even a quarter of disillusioned members if any old troll who can create a log on wasnt allowed to do what they do best.
We wouldnt mind getting debunked by honest people trying to correct a fallacy, but honestly who can be sure anymore. It all seems like SOME people are actively trying to reduce the quality of content, like they were ATS competition. MAYBE they are just angry bored people, or people with no common sense, reading comprehension or courtesy and consideration for the work a good thread takes.

Unless you are talking about a long dead civilization, everything I say is true, sometimes even then. I cant say I want to make new threads like I did when I first joined. There is no motivation. I dont feel like having thick skin, or being smarter than the trolls, or what ever. I want to focus on like minds trying to figure things out and grow. NOT deal with the growing pains of others.

Just a thought.

I know there is a huge member base thinking this. Especially those that have been here for a while. We are tired of it.

edit on 3 9 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I know when you thought this up, it probably sounded great in your head.

A forum where you only allow people who will agree with you? Because we all know it will lead to that, where they will cry TROLL when they get sick of being debunked.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I'm trolling your thread.

NO.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Nah, isn't that what facebook groups are for?
I also think it would just be a mutual appreciation society so interesting idea, but I do not support it sorry.

link   

I think that would be great for those that ONLY want to reinforce their current thought process, rather than getting to the truth of the matter.

Opposing views or challenging your thought process is not necessarily a bad thing?

link   

Before my time but I always assumed that what was the debate forum was all about?

A one one one or restricted participation thread.

Maybe the fact that it seems unused is an answer to your question?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   

There is a new format for that. It is called Peeple. Not much going as far as freedom of speech IMO because you pretty well have to agree with everything others say or you are booted off.

www.cbc.ca...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Yes! Let us ignore!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tiamat384
Yes! Let us ignore!!!

This I agree with.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: dianashay

There is a new format for that. It is called Peeple. Not much going as far as freedom of speech IMO because you pretty well have to agree with everything others say or you are booted off.

www.cbc.ca...

I think that is exactly what the OP is looking for!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
An ignore button by proxy, eh? Skeptic can speak for himself, but there's no way in hell I would ever allow an ignore button, or private threads on this site. If we aren't grown up enough to play together with those who don't always agree with us, then maybe we need to go back to high school and join a clique.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Lysergic

No a forum where you invite people who have shown a genuine interest in a subject. Also you could see who is just trying to DICTATE a narrative via spam and disinfo.

Its not that people will not debunk, but if you think all new age crap is crap, then why should you be allowed to say so to people who genuinely like it and are trying to learn?

What purpose does that serve?

Like a person who walks into a church to scream atheist crap. WHY would church goers have to deal with him?
Or a creationist walking into a science class to talk about God every damned day. We get it, you dont like it. WHY not let those who do elaborate on the ideas you think are rubbish?

It doesnt have to be the central theme to ATS, but damn, why so many sticklers? What has that done for the civility and decorum on these boards? How many threads are made about the lack of quality content from years past? Do you not notice that we would have lots of those members if random trolls didnt catch them on a bad day, or how tiring it is to deal with constant BS.

If it was genuine, OK, But its not.

There is a strong ideal to just be negative and thoughtless. Not like people learn when a random person derails a thread for no other reason than boredom or kicks.

Tell me I am wrong.

Also, how many people even generate content anymore yet complain and wonder about the reasons why we have slow days, something that NEVER happened before because someone would just take one for the team and just spend a couple hours MAKING content? Why do you think that changed or at least reduced in volume?

Is this REALLY BS on my part?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I can see where this could be a good thing... and where it could be abused as well.

For example, I've seen posts addressing and inviting a discussion about a specific religious doctrine, and instead of folks being able to discuss possibilities, theories, etc. -- which could be very informative and educational and fun for those so inclined -- but it's derailed by those attacking all religions and invoking the Flying Spaghetti Monster God and otherwise causing chaos and commotion.

Of course, it can also lead to echo chambers and vacuums and singing to the choir. But maybe that's what some folks want.

Perhaps PMs sent to multiple recipients could be used for the same purpose?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Is it private to participate or also to read?

If it the first I think you can see a lot of opposite threads like we saw an influx last year orso.

The "This is why I yadiyayablabla" immediately followed by a "This is why I DON'T yadiyayablabla"

And if the original thread is invite only to participate and the other thread is open for everyone guess who is gonna run with the idea.

edit on 9-3-2016 by Dumbass because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
I was wondering.

I know there is a huge member base thinking this. Especially those that have been here for a while. We are tired of it.

There is not a huge member base thinking this. This website is mainly for the posting of ideas, debating , debunking, proving. You would want an entirely different site.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Is it possible to make a private thread forum. One where invites grant access?

Your own website? This is a forum.

You could however try only replying to those you identify with and ignoring everyone else.

Or become a Pariah, like me.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Why don't you post on RATS exclusively, that will dwindle the number of people participating in your threads.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
An ignore button by proxy, eh? Skeptic can speak for himself, but there's no way in hell I would ever allow an ignore button, or private threads on this site. If we aren't grown up enough to play together with those who don't always agree with us, then maybe we need to go back to high school and join a clique.

Some people have psychological limits. Think of it as a therapeutic alternative.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:19 PM
link   
can we start with the notion of maybe moderators being able to stop cold, a stupid ignorant thread.....like, my favorite....."flat-earth" threads......

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

yeah, its cool. So be it, just a thought. Threads where you can just regurgitate things and blame any BS on the source are fine. Thing is this is becoming a link to link fest. Nothing new, or personal from experience, or with insight. Just the facts for sticklers with some light opinion for those seeking to debate better. This is in essence only a debate forum then. Thats cool.

piranha it is.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join