It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoD Contracts: Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. Awarded $387M for UH-60M Helicopters

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:41 AM
link   
DoD Contracts: Sikorsky Aircraft Corp. Awarded $387M for UH-60M Helicopters

Came across these contract mod announcements.

Looks like Sikorsky gets to build another 35 Black Hawks for the Army.

Sikorsky Aircraft Corp., Stratford, Connecticut, was awarded a $387,181,200 modification (P00333) to contract W58RGZ-12-C-0008 to exercise the option for 35 UH-60M helicopters. Work will be performed in Stratford, Connecticut, with an estimated completion date of Dec. 31, 2016. Fiscal 2016 other procurement funds in the amount of $387,181,200 were obligated at the time of the award. Army Contracting Command, Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, is the contracting activity.

Along with this one are some other contract news for different branches.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: grey580

They're also going to get an upgraded -60 for the Air Force UH-1 replacement for the missile fields and CSAR requirement.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

Looks like Sikorsky gets to build another 35 Black Hawks for the Army.

They better.

Those Hybrids aren't cutting it.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:26 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

The Osprey is doing fine. It handled its first combat deployment better than many established helicopter airframes have. They also have absolutely nothing to do with this contract since the Army doesn't have any.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Bell said no more traditional helicopters for them. They're going all in on the hybrid tech it seems.

www.flightglobal.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Helicopter technology is approaching the limits of what they can do.

Speaking of Bell, just saw a beautiful 222 on the back of a truck going down the road. Even had a hoist.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Speaking of Bell, just saw a beautiful 222 on the back of a truck going down the road. Even had a hoist.

Like this one?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Sammamishman

Remarkably like that one.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Query. Why did NOTAR go nowhere?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Too radical. Operators didn't want to have to pay extra mechanics and for different parts, etc, even though it proved time and again how much better it was.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:27 PM
link   

damnit. Of course.

Aerospace has some of the most brilliantly innovative tech and the most curmudgeonly operators. gah.

Did it reduce the acoustic signature at all? I was under the impression the interaction of the tail and main rotors was a nontrivial part of the noise...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Hugely. A 500D was ten times louder next to a 500 NOTAR.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:58 PM
link   

twere I a billionaire, I'd be asking if the patents had expired yet.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: anzha

Query. Why did NOTAR go nowhere?

Funny, because I just saw a few NOTARs sitting out on the field yesterday. I was trying to explain the novelty to some neophytes, but I think the wonder was lost on them.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

There are some out there. The Honolulu Fire Department replaced Air One and added Air Two with NOTARs after One crashed during a rescue. A jacket blew out the door and fouled the tail rotor.

They should have been a hell of a lot more successful though.
edit on 3/9/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:19 PM
link   

There are a lot of drawbacks that rarely get mentioned, but i still would have thought a lot of police departments and fire rescue would have bought in. A local department has a few, but the ones I saw yesterday weren't them which is what surprised me. Funny that a thread mentioned it the same day

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   

The first ones I saw were all police or fire, then they just disappeared.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   

What are the drawbacks? I don't know choppers as well as the stealthy fast movers.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Basically weight/drag. You need quite a bit more tail to offset the lack of tail-rotor at cruise. That means drag compounded by the need to use it for yaw-stability. It also means structural weight. Both those things are sort of a debbie-downer for performance. It affects payload, range, speed, etc. It's also is said to be slightly less responsive than the tail-rotor with yaw-authority. Having all the workings on the inside reduces noise for the external observer, but makes the cabin louder.

On the otherhand, noone risks running into the tail rotor during entry or egress, you can put that SOB into a tree without any real damage, it's quieter from the ground than the tail-rotor, and the mechanical workings seem to be much less likely to fail in flight.

So it really depends on what you're going to use it for and whether or not you think the advantages outweigh the costs.

join