It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

iPhone 5 Encription and the FBI reveals Apple has done it.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: and14263

I might go along with that.

Any proof?

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elton
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Jon Mcafee offered to decrypt the phone for the FBI for free.
They declined.
I believe they want a backdoor into apple products much more than the data on the phone.

BusinessInsider
So this is all because the FBI wouldn't hire that guy with the purple mokawk for half a million dollars a year and let him smoke weed while on the job?

why do the best hackers on the planet not work for the FBI? Because the FBI will not hire anyone with a 24-inch purple mohawk, 10-gauge ear piercings, and a tattooed face who demands to smoke weed while working and won't work for less than a half-million dollars a year. But you bet your ass that the Chinese and Russians are hiring similar people with similar demands and have been for many years.

And the FBI's refusal is telling.
Yes it is, that shows they are after something else here besides the data.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:22 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

No proof Sir, it wouldn't be that easily available.

Merely my experience of the media and big business.

Also there is the fact that when the FBI win the court case that will set a precedent for them to force future businesses to aid them in spying.

But.. Buy an Apple it can't be hacked even by the FBI!

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: BarefootInWinter

So, the question remains...why not just have the same person change the password back? Then they could access the cloud with the phone like Apple suggested.

The password to the cloud account was reset. Effectively deleted.
No one knows what the password was to change it back.

But I do wonder about Apple's cloud back ups.
The old password had to be stored in some backed up file somewhere.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

I started this thread I dont own and apple I phone or any apple product. I probably wont buy one any time soon. I was just remarking that if the FBI can't get into this phone and seeing apple was pro anti-spying by Government it just looks as if they were able to make one that can't be spied on, this is not in any way an Apple advertisement.

However maybe you mean the whole FBI and Apple fight is a publicity stunt that may be.

Its the latter, not the former. The former would violate T&C's.

Somewhere along the way, Apple hooked the FBI up. One thing Uncle Sam is good at: creating propaganda. The other thing Uncle Sam is good at: collaborating with private industry at the expense of humanity. Ill bet they employed these 2 talents well here.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 10:23 AM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Exceptionally well done and well presented post.

You're absolutely correct. What most people are missing is that the FBI did *not* request the data from the phone. Had they done that and given the phone to Apple (with an appropriate legal court order), Apple would have done so and given them the data a long time ago.

But no - what the FBI is actually requesting is a way that can be used to backdoor into ALL Apple products running that iOS and encryption tools (hardware and software). Once done, you can't put that particular toothpaste back into the tube.

Amazingly brash and absurd - IF you believe in the constitution of the United States of America

Of course they'll say "don't worry - we'll never use those tools again without a court order, etc".

Does anyone *seriously* believe that?! Or seriously believe that they'd have a problem getting a court order under FISA rules?

We all either believe in our constitution or we don't. In a surprise move - it seems the ones that don't reside mostly among those that ought to be protecting it the most.

Wake up people...

Sunt qui vident caeci qui non

edit on 3/10/2016 by Riffrafter because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I'm sure the FBI plans to put a recorder into the Iphone and simply record the Apple hacking software as it is being loaded. One time only My A##.
edit on 10-3-2016 by graysquirrel because: spelling

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I know we have to be a little critical of our Government but we should also give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think the best thing is that Apple help them get the needed info at one of Apples headquarters and hen restore the phone to its defaults so the FBI will not have access to anything the the phones OS that might give them leverage against other Iphones.

We should be for our government it is a shame that the Govt has lost the trust of the people.

posted on Mar, 12 2016 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Apple is taking an absolutist position on this issue which, IMHO, is unacceptable.

The claim being made by Apple that their 1st and 5th Amendment rights are being violated by the government is not only ridiculous, it’s clearly wrong. Freedom of speech and privacy rights are not black & white, absolute issues. There’s a necessary balance that must be struck between each citizen’s privacy rights and freedom of expression and all citizens’ right to safety and justice. And up until now the power to strike this balance has been entrusted to our government and NOT Corporate America.

I can’t believe (well, that’s not true) that We the People might be willing to consider giving corporations the power to dictate the extent of our privacy rights and freedom of expression. That would be a HUGE MISTAKE. It seems to me we’re willing to allow corporate entities to collect all the data they wish to about our private lives, analyze it, sell it to the highest bidder, and do whatever they like with it, but we draw the line when it comes to the government requesting any of it to investigate terrorist activity. Now, what could possibly be wrong with this picture?

I swear to God, we’ve gone nuts! Here we are about to elect Donald Trump to lead our country, and then turn over the power to regulate the 1st and 5th Amendments to the Constitution to Corporate America. WAKE UP PEOPLE! ANYBODY HOME?

I would say to the companies, “Encrypt your hearts out tech companies, but also recognize that there are exceptional cases when access to data is critical to criminal investigations and to design your software accordingly.” That doesn’t mean they must provide a backdoor to law enforcement. It simply means that when presented with a valid search warrant, be prepared to provide the data stored on the device. I believe Apple could easily, and routinely, do this today without jeopardizing a thing. But hey, refusing to comply with a court order is a great marketing ploy, and Apple is going to milk it for all they can squeeze out of it.

Peace...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join