It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you engage in self-censorship on this forum?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

When I first came here I came for the unusual and extreme.

After getting a fair few bashings for my beliefs I withdrew and would not talk about the more unusual things as did not want to feel alienated by certain groups of members who seemed to think that they call the shots, I call them conspiracy hipsters because they have been there, done that and already made their minds up. Anyone that comes along with what they think is new and interesting will be shot down by them in a clique kind of way.

I have been here a while now and if I want to talk about something odd or unusual then I just do it but only because I have the strength and backing of the site to do so without fear of all out attack and could not care less if it came my way.

Prime example. I perform actual magic on a daily basis, every god damn day.

I never would have said that a year ago as bullies would have mocked me. Now. Meh...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
Prime example. I perform actual magic on a daily basis, every god damn day.

I never would have said that a year ago as bullies would have mocked me. Now. Meh...

You should start a thread mate, I'm a skeptic with an open mind so I'd certainly be interested to read more...

Regarding self-censorship on ATS myself, I am the same opinionated prick in real-life as I am here. I say things as I see them in the pub, at work, or online. No keyboard warrior silliness from me, I'll front anyone with my opinion, and I've got a nose/face to prove it.
The only things I don't particularly discuss here would be either against T's&C's such as recreational activities, and/or incriminatory...I'm a loud mouth for sure but I'm not stupid lol

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Another way to describe how I try to handle most of my interactions here ... In day to day talk, we don't usually talk about things like the topics covered here because of their very nature. But if we did, I try to use the same kind of language I would use if I were talking to people I wasn't very well acquainted with in a face to face situation.

And to be plain, if I disagree with you or don't buy into your beliefs on a topic, it doesn't mean I don't respect you or find your angles interesting (I genuinely do think about well-thought out responses and posts). It simply means I don't think the way you do and disagree.
edit on 9-3-2016 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

I totally understand you there, and we have crossed swords in a few threads over the years, doesn't mean I can't agree in other places...you'd be surprised how many secret stars you've got from me!
I think some people struggle to differentiate between disagreeing in opinion on certain topics and the overall personality.
I've argued passionately with members in one thread while defending them simultaneously in another.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: ketsuko

I totally understand you there, and we have crossed swords in a few threads over the years, doesn't mean I can't agree in other places...you'd be surprised how many secret stars you've got from me!
I think some people struggle to differentiate between disagreeing in opinion on certain topics and the overall personality.
I've argued passionately with members in one thread while defending them simultaneously in another.

You have just nailed one of the things I like about debate, especially here on ATS.

Seperation of subject. I may(and will on occasion) disagree with you in one thread or subject yet be fighting to the death for you in another topic at the same time.

Many members seem to be unable to seperate the topic and the member and take things to heart and want to cross contaminate with personal feelings.

For me there is nothing better than giving someone a real dribbing in one thread only to go back to the recent page, click a link and give them a hearty agreement and one or two of these.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific
For me there is nothing better than giving someone a real dribbing in one thread only to go back to the recent page, click a link and give them a hearty agreement and one or two of these.

Lol, agreed. Even a certain Scottish member and myself sing from the same songsheet sometimes!
Self-censorship though? Nah, say what you feel and enjoy the robust debate I say.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I said this on another thread awhile back.. That even here on ATS there is a mainstream of thoughts, a collective if you will, that if you don't follow the same train of thought you are labelled. Many of us are here because we cannot discuss alternative topics or our theories, or our beliefs,anywhere else and yet we face even worse criticism here at times. I'd rather the rolled eyes from family members than a keyboard lashing from those I deem the most like minded.
I used to not care what I posted. Not one bit. If it came to mind, it typed on the keyboard...good , bad or ugly.
Now I too read far more than I post, and my opinion gets shared with my spouse OFFLINE. I would love to contribute , I truly would. But for all the courage I could muster to speak my mind sometimes, would not outweigh the damage to my fragile psyche should my opinions be viewed in a negative light. I've been there, I've done that. Once bitten, twice shy. I have a thicker skin than I used to, but it would still drive me away from posting, or the site in general.
I think people forget the definition of a theory. If someone puts forth an idea to be discussed, it's not an invitation to bash. That's juvenile. This used to be a forum where conspiracies were discussed in an adult, mature fashion, and where those with more knowledge on any given subject had no issue with sharing it, and had no need to call others names for lacking that knowledge. Sometimes the posts here remind me of Facebook or other sites where decorum and manners are checked at the door. I have been a member here for almost nine years...that is because when I'm here, there are still posts, members, moderators...that raise me up a level. It makes me a better person, with more knowledge, and yet...I still feel I need to lurk and keep my posts mostly to myself. Because who wants to get bashed, for anything? It's sad really, when a few trolls can ruin it. But they do.
So to answer the question, I censor myself 90% of the time I spend here. I used to make 50 posts a day...on average. Lucky if I made that this past year.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

Ditto.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: nonspecific

Ah, but then that is why I treasure the chit chat, food, other similar topic threads. Those are the places where we can let our hair down and display our more "human" traits, if you will.

Yeah, a certain member and I may fight like cats and dogs over politics but I appreciate their love for their pets.

Some of us can bond over certain facets of pop-culture, books, etc.

Still others can connect over food or family or minor pet peeves.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Yep.

Sometimes what I want to say really is AboveTopSecret ... and I don't want any three-letter agencies upset with the owners.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Yes I do. If you're going through a thread and see off topic posts I've made that have been removed, that's when I didn't. Oh, they posts were funny as hell but were way off topic or included pics that were...colorful. If I didn't self censor, I wouldn't have made it this long.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join