It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you engage in self-censorship on this forum?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:48 AM
link   
If so, why?

The thing I wonder about is whether people are completely honest about some of their potentially wackier beliefs or thoughts. The line for that could be different for different people. It raises an important question IMHO:

Where do you draw the line?

Some may not want to admit to believing in anything controversial (for fear of ending up on the wrong government list) while others wouldn't care about writing anything concerning their beliefs online. I think that's really critical because if you're afraid to write something, you may subconsciously cause yourself to be frightened of even thinking about it.

In terms of this forum, I do engage in self-censorship. I mostly do it to keep from breaking the rules. Outside of that, I like the saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."
edit on 9-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

I think this is what it is (group behaviour)

Developmental psychology

In our mind to belong is the second basic human need

Love and belonging After physiological and safety needs are fulfilled, the third level of human needs is interpersonal and involves feelings of belongingness.
This need is especially strong in childhood and can override the need for safety as witnessed in children who cling to abusive parents.
Deficiencies within this level of Maslow's hierarchy – due to hospitalism, neglect, shunning, ostracism, etc. – can impact the individual's ability to form and maintain emotionally significant relationships in general, such as:
Friendship
Intimacy
Family
According to Maslow, humans need to feel a sense of belonging and acceptance among their social groups, regardless whether these groups are large or small.
For example, some large social groups may include clubs, co-workers, religious groups, professional organizations, sports teams, and gangs.
Some examples of small social connections include family members, intimate partners, mentors, colleagues, and confidants.
Humans need to love and be loved – both sexually and non-sexually – by others.[2] Many people become susceptible to loneliness, social anxiety, and clinical depression in the absence of this love or belonging element.
This need for belonging may overcome the physiological and security needs, depending on the strength of the peer pressure.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:10 AM
link   

I only do to keep myself in line with the T&C

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:12 AM
link   
to be honest i just censor myself in the delivery, not my beliefs, those i state as clearly as possible.
but i find myself modifying the delivery of those beliefs because let's face it, the majority of people (especially online) are more interested in finding something to be upset about than they are in understanding context.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:27 AM
link   

I read many many more threads than I actually contribute to.
Its a constant effort for me not to comment on lots of topics but when I stop and think, I really don't need to shove a witty one liner in.
It may make me smile or feel like I've engaged in some social interaction briefly but would add nothing and more than likely just annoy people following the thread.
Other than that I try and behave online the same way I would behave if you were in the room with me.
Good question.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:37 AM
link   
If you'll notice, I've been here a while and my post count is fairly low for that period of time. I comment on the things that interest me and I give my honest opinion, whether people like it or not. I see others who have been here a year and have a higher post count and it seems to me they have an opinion on everything and feel the need to voice it. That's fine, but it usually seems to be one liners or just derogatory remarks that really don't contribute to the thread. I'm guilty of it myself from time to time, but I try to keep it in threads meant just for that. You know, the joking, one liner, dig in the ribs kind.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:21 AM
link   
I engage in self-censorship EVERY DAY. wherever I go, whomever I'm with, I control my speech. If I said 'what I really think' / what I'd really like to say, I'd be in heap big trouble.

diplomacy, sorta.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:23 AM
link   
I might soften the language I use to a degree, but I don't necessarily misrepresent my beliefs on a subject.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: IShotMyLastMuse
to be honest i just censor myself in the delivery, not my beliefs, those i state as clearly as possible.
but i find myself modifying the delivery of those beliefs because let's face it, the majority of people (especially online) are more interested in finding something to be upset about than they are in understanding context.

Exactly the form of self censorship I employ..

Often I'll go back and edit a post two or three times if I read over it and decide it could generate a knee-jerk dismissal from those who don't consider objective viewpoints..

Sometimes I even go so far as to double or triple check the sources and references my stated opinion is based on before posting, to make sure I can be sure I won't feed anyone's preconceived notions or prejudices, and to make sure I am prepared to respond to any expected reactions from offended parties..

It's exhausting, being rational and objective on a forum whose main target demographic is conspiracy theorists..

Some days I wonder why I bother posting here at all..
edit on 9-3-2016 by spygeek because: I double checked and added one comma. Punctuation makes a difference.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Non disclosure agreements? Haha.. But mostly I don't censor what I say. Maybe 5% I write something or think something and then think that's too much for others to know not a good idea to post that so I go back and don't post at all or maybe say the same thing with 20 added "?" And "maybes" and "I thinks"

I'm naturally really blunt but I know some people don't like that so I edit myself to be more loving though I am that loving so it's not really that much self censorship just nicer words.

Yea that's about it.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Self-censorship. Another name for a filter. And yes, everyone has a filter. No one says EVERYTHING they are thinking.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:09 AM
link   

I've had private conversations with a number of members who believe in chemtrails but will not express their beliefs on here.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I say my piece. I will consider being considerate in certain situations to be civil. But too often agreeing with someone when they have false perceptions is not going to help things. Reinforcing unreal beliefs is not good but often necessary.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Yes, of course I do.

Let me be clear, I swear like a trooper. If I communicated on these boards, in the same manner in which I communicate with my local associates, I am certain I would have been banned in the first three hours or less of my membership. Furthermore, there are some things that I simply do not discuss here, mostly relating to my vices, this despite my very much enjoying my vices and being entirely comfortable with them as part of my life.

However, both of the censorship elements I have described are entirely aimed at preventing myself from being banned from the site. Other than that, I discuss anything and everything, without relent, and without censorship of my opinion. If I think that something is amazing, I am going to tell the membership all about it. If I would quite like to bludgeon a public figure with a discarded piece of masonry from a nearby building site, I will announce such without fear or favour.

My opinions and conclusions on subjects covered here, always come out exactly as they ought to, without filtering of any kind what so ever, save for that which prevents my banishment from the boards.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
Self-censorship. Another name for a filter. And yes, everyone has a filter. No one says EVERYTHING they are thinking.

71 percent of all the users surveyed engaged in some self-censorship either on new posts or in comments, and the median self-censorer did so multiple times.
71% of Facebook Users Engage in 'Self-Censorship'

How do you fit that research into your belief system? Are you claiming that the 29% who said that they don't engage in self-censorship were lying?

originally posted by: ketsuko
I might soften the language I use to a degree, but I don't necessarily misrepresent my beliefs on a subject.

Absolutely golden information.

originally posted by: and14263

I've had private conversations with a number of members who believe in chemtrails but will not express their beliefs on here.

I've had suspicions about this kind of thing for a while. Thank you for that post.
edit on 9-3-2016 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion
If so, why?

The thing I wonder about is whether people are completely honest about some of their potentially wackier beliefs or thoughts. The line for that could be different for different people. It raises an important question IMHO:

Where do you draw the line?

Some may not want to admit to believing in anything controversial (for fear of ending up on the wrong government list) while others wouldn't care about writing anything concerning their beliefs online. I think that's really critical because if you're afraid to write something, you may subconsciously cause yourself to be frightened of even thinking about it.

In terms of this forum, I do engage in self-censorship. I mostly do it to keep from breaking the rules. Outside of that, I like the saying, "It's not what you say, it's how you say it."

I censor myself on almost everything I say, online and off. I'm glad I do, I don't think I'm a very nice person when I'm being 100% truthful lol.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I am not speaking for krazyshot

I think what the post said at least that's what I took from it (with your % statistic)

Some people just don't have a filter

I am picturing those children with those parents who think their child can not do no wrong and is the best thing under the sun

I have friends like that (they don't care how it makes you feel what they say they don't care what is your opinion about what they say etc etc )

My dad always told me: don't speak unless you have something smart to say when I said something silly or off topic (or at the table
)
edit on 9-3-2016 by Resourceful because: Spelling I hope I make sense

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Profusion

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

71 percent of all the users surveyed engaged in some self-censorship either on new posts or in comments, and the median self-censorer did so multiple times.
71% of Facebook Users Engage in 'Self-Censorship'

How do you fit that research into your belief system? Are you claiming that the 29% who said that they don't engage in self-censorship were lying?

Either that or they don't realize they are doing it. Your brain lies to you. Often. Many times without your knowledge. It is possible to believe something and your head's selective memory agree with you very easily.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: and14263

That's funny, I've had quite a few private conversations with members I had suspected to be reserved, and I'm always surprised at how colorful they become when they're isolated from the negative aspects of open forum expression. With that said, I wouldn't dare expose their naked personalities anywhere, anytime out of respect.

Chemtrails...can't be a conspiracy theorist with em', can't be one without em', lol.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:44 AM
link   

I still post as honestly as possible. There is no point if you are going to be an actor.

I just ask myself, who is this in the benefit of? ME, maybe a smart and honest person trying like me to not be so dumb?

If the answers dont satisfy, I leave it alone. I have no problem letting people think fallacies. Its their crap life they want to keep crappy. LOL

Other than that, out of FEAR? Hell no. The real dangers of posting stuff is not present in the US. Our government for all the hype, really doesnt care about a single asshat posting stuff, unless they happen to show a new trend for a subject,

Like if you are a 9/11 truther, you are fine. REALLY. Its when you add information so as to strengthen other truthers or create new ones that they give you a little heads up.

most censorship IMO, is due to dumb average people making your life harder. I would sit down and have coffee with an FBI agent ready to "mind rape me" any day over a troll trying to ease his general pain and fear for the world, or looking for validation in his fears and pains.

LOL

other than that, ridicule? Yeah, who is ten years old and not grown ass adults secure in themselves that dont need peoples respect and tolerance?

Its funnier from my point of view to be exactly like everyone else, while seeing signs that they are all retarded.

edit on 3 9 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join