It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the earth flat or not? what do you think?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Is the earth flat or not? (re: the flat earth theory) I'm doing research to find out if there is definitive proof? I just find the debate kinda confusing. I mean why would it be flat? That makes no sense. But as you know a lot of people are claiming it's flat, and providing all kinds of reasons as to why. Some of which does make sense. But is there something else behind all this? What is this all about? Is there any truth to it? I'd like to find out. why are there so many flat earth videos out there if it's all just BS?

Can you prove that it's flat or not???

edit on 9-3-2016 by lavatrance because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lavatrance
Is the earth flat or not?

No, it isn't.

Can you prove that it's flat or not???

Photographs from space, videos from space, astronaut's accounts from living on the ISS ad watching the Earth rotate.

My own account of flying around the world.

The orbit of the moon, position of star constellations, etc. Have a read HERE. But be careful -- no doubt it's a shill site ready to pervert your mind with common sense and reason..
edit on 9-3-2016 by noonebutme because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Let's go out on a limb here and say "yes, it is flat". What possible benefit would the whole of physics have for contriving the math surrounding a universe with spherical planets and distances between them? Gravity, dark matter, dark energy, quantum entanglement, etc... All these theories utilize the same physics used to describe our universe... This would be a bigger coverup than anything of all time....Bigger than governments killing their own people for profit, bigger than aliens, bigger than an invisible omniscient God. Think about that for a while.

I'm sorry, but it's absolutely absurd, not to mention wholly unfounded.
edit on 9-3-2016 by Aedaeum because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:58 AM
link   
a reply to: lavatrance

My Religious Education teacher at school always taught the Earth was flat as his first lesson with a new class. He never explained why he taught this, and I doubt it was what he was supposed to be teaching. He was a very tolerant and thoughtful man. I assume his motive was to show us that a fantastical belief system can be portrayed as truth.

There are so many flat earth videos because it's BS. It's just another distraction campaign. But it does use some very sophisticated tricks, some of which have not been discovered yet, to get attention.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:00 AM
link   

If you can afford it you can prove to yourself by hiring a private pilot to take you as high as possible on a clear day.

It's also possible to make out the curvature of the Earth by standing on a mountainside looking out to sea at scattered clouds that curve away from you out of sight.

Or try this. "Three barges were used, on each of which was erected a straight rod, all the same height. The barges were moored two miles from each other along the same stretch of water. The tops of the rods were thus all the same distance above the surface of the earth. Using a theodolite, Wallace sighted from the top of the first rod to the top of the third. If the earth was flat, the top of the middle rod would lie on the same line.

In fact, because the earth was curved, the third rod was lower than the second: the second marker was a clear 32 inches above the line from the first to the third . . . " welney.org.uk...
edit on 9 3 2016 by Kester because: added value

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:02 AM
link   

first - when i see anyone claim that they have 100% " proof " of < insert claim > i know that unless the thread relates to a mathematical problem - then they are piss-using the word proof

second thread

i dont claim to have 100% proof - because as above i know what proof means in a scientific context

but i will say that every claim in the thread i cite is falsifiable [ but has not yet been falsified ] it is testable and repeatable [ and many of my claims are tested and repeated every day - with no errors ]

this the earth is a spheroid

it is infact an oblate speroid - but the evidence for this relies on 3rd party data - as it is imposible for peasants like me to do any experoiment with the accuracy required to determine that the polar and equitorial circumferances of the earth are different

lastly - i can demonstrate that many flat earther claims are false

does that answer your question in a satisfactory manner

if not - why not ?
edit on 9-3-2016 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
I just looked out my window and I can't see any circles. it's flat. No doubt about it.

*thought process from ancient man at work*

It's as flat as God made it. hehe now that's how to argue it.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Aedaeum

well they claim it's to promote evolution and the big bang which would cause people to dismiss the bible as any type of fact. And cause people to believe the universe is billions of years old and that we were just some random event, chance, fluke, there for we have no meaning or relavenace. etc etc. Which actually does make sense. Althought I'm not saying that's how it is. As I just don't know really. But it's one theory.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Kester

they don't sound like people who are just trying to do a prank or are paid shills. Most seem authentically convinced that it's flat.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:09 AM
link   
Find a version of gravity and an explanation of seasons that would accommodate a flat Earth. You could also come up a version of GPS that will get you home, as well as why Hubble shows a spinning globe.... oh yea, all illusions.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

you have a few points but they didn't really make much sense to me

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

what do you wish me to clarify ?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:14 AM
link   

There are some very sophisticated mind manipulation tricks in use. I don't know what they are but they're working.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

21st of june?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:19 AM
link   

But is there something else behind all this?

Yes.

The sacred texts of their religion says it is flat so they really want to convince people it is flat because being a sphere goes against their sacred texts.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:20 AM
link   

I just dont' believe much of what I've been taught by anything or anyone associated to main stream. So therefore I give this flat earth thing maybe some merit, athought I find it a bit out to lunch. But you never know. The truth is always stranger than fiction

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:24 AM
link   

21st of june is a date . is the 21st day of june - are you taking the piss ?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Go for a long haul flight and have a look out the window ...

Or - go for a drive in the Australian outback.

You can actually see the curvature of the Earth !

See it for yourself ...

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:30 AM
link   

If you can afford it you can prove to yourself by hiring a private pilot to take you as high as possible on a clear day.

actually - using the polaris evidence presented in my thread - you can demonstrate that the earth is infact a speroid - without leaving the UK and no aircraft needed - just a car or some train tickets

of course you need a astrolabe , sextant or theodolite too - but they can be hired

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:33 AM
link   
The Flat Earth Nonsense is one massive distraction tactic.

It was created long ago, but lately they used simple "law of averages" to see how many would cling to the idea and spread it's deception.

Point is, billions of people exist in the world, even if a tiny percentage espouse this long defeated retarded tripe, it still amounts to a few hundred thousand either gullible or malicious people. They prey on the "open minded".

Just go outside. Observe Polaris and watch the stars and constellations dance across the night sky for the next year or so. See and feel the cycles of the Sun, Moon and Planetary objects. Obtain a cheep telescope and look at the objects closely to satisfy your curiosity. You will see with your own eyes and mental reasoning that the world is a sphere.

The sphere exists in a system of spherical objects.

Those objects interact with one another.

The universe is a complicated place, but it isn't nearly as complicated as planar ideology would have you believe.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join