It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Miami’s oceanfront nuclear power plant is leaking

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

It's cool. I just wanted to point that out before people started thinking this was actually in miami.

btw that's an awesome ride.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

btw that's an awesome ride.

I loved that area for boating. We would go just about every other weekend . The water is amazing and crystal clear .

Funny enough we stopped going down their just around the time the supposed leak started , due to schedule, work, kid, schooling, life. etc. We were planning a trip in the near future , but now I'm going to be a bit hesitant till I find some more information.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Timely
a reply to: MOMof3

Clowns to the left of us, jokers to the right, here I am stuck in the middle ... fuku ...

you hit the nail on the head with that one..

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

It doesn't look like they are doing anything right now to contain it but rather more studies after 3 years?

Pretty much.

S&F thanks for sharing. Apparently Turkey Point has been "leaking" for years. Still nothing done about the problem. There was a study on the teeth of children growing up in So. Florida indicating high levels of strontium-90. Of course, officials within the Nuclear Regulatory Commission "debunked it". I hope they are right that it's bunk and that this current news is dealt with unlike other contaminant issues in the environment. Such as would assume it's similar with the Flint, MI water warnings.
edit on 9-3-2016 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Tritium is not that bad, and this leak is rather insignificant if you ask me.

Tritium is an isotope of hydrogen, which allows it to readily bind to hydroxyl radicals, forming tritiated water (HTO), and to carbon atoms. Since tritium is a low energy beta emitter, it is not dangerous externally (its beta particles are unable to penetrate the skin),[20] but it is a radiation hazard when inhaled, ingested via food or water, or absorbed through the skin.[21][22][23][24] HTO has a short biological half-life in the human body of 7 to 14 days, which both reduces the total effects of single-incident ingestion and precludes long-term bioaccumulation of HTO from the environment.[23][25] Biological half life of tritiated water in human body, which is a measure of body water turn over, varies with season. Studies on biological half life of occupational radiation workers for free water tritium in the coastal region of Karnataka, India show that the biological half life in winter season is twice that of the summer season.[26]

According to the U.S. EPA, "a recently documented source of tritium in the environment is [self-illuminating] exit signs that have been illegally disposed of in municipal landfills. Water, which seeps through the landfill, is contaminated with tritium from broken signs and can pass into water ways, carrying the tritium with it."[27]

Tritium has leaked from 48 of 65 nuclear sites in the US. In one case, leaking water contained 7.5 microcuries (0.28 MBq) of tritium per litre, which is 375 times the EPA limit for drinking water.[28]

The US Nuclear Regulatory Commission states that in normal operation in 2003, 56 pressurized water reactors released 40,600 curies (1.50 PBq) of tritium (maximum: 2,080; minimum: 0.1; average: 725) and 24 boiling water reactors released 665 curies (24.6 TBq) (maximum: 174; minimum: 0; average: 27.7), in liquid effluents.

This stuff used to be sold in small sealed glass vials (still is outside the US) that could be utilized as a long term lighting markers, good for emergencies when the power goes out. It is only banned in the US because we use every last bit of it to improve the yield of our nukes stockpile. Try and import these nifty devices though, and you may end up in custody with accusations of terror or god knows what else, and the media will help to convince everyone you are
and nobody would even question it.

posted on Mar, 21 2016 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Yeah, Im with him on this. Not very significant at all. I think people get scared of the idea of a nuclear reactor. In theory, I know at least PWRs are inherently safe and stable. They provide little to no increase in background radiation, and are insanely safe. Nuclear power really is the best source of alternative energy for now. It will remain that way until fusion is up and running and reliable.

Source:Ive deployed on a ship with 8 nuclear reactors, operated them, and now train students how to operate them.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join