It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disney planning 10 new Star Wars films after The Force Awakens' huge success

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Alright, so you know that Star Wars The Force Awakens is the beginning of a new trilogy (at least, I hope you knew that). Some of you probably also know that there are a few stand-alone Star Wars films coming out every year for the next few years, starting with Rogue One.

But... Did you know...

Disney planning 10 new Star Wars films after The Force Awakens' huge success

Yeah... That's right... 10!!!!!

What? Did you think that Disney was just going to hand over 2 billion dollars to Georgy Porgy out of the goodness of their hearts?

Have you forgotten that Disney CEO's and Business folk don't have hearts?!?!?!

Disney are in talks for ten more Star Wars films following the success of The Force Awakens.

The franchise has already planned five further movies, two trilogies and a hat-trick of spin-offs, and executives are reportedly discussing another quintet of the sci-fi motion pictures for after 2020.

A source said: "The success of The Force Awakens has given executives much to think about.

"So many characters' back-stories and futures can now be brought to life. When these ideas came from George Lucas 40 years ago, technology was lagging behind. Now they can be turned around in a year."

Furthermore!!!!

Of the solo Star Wars movies being talked about, there is expected to be one made about Obi-Wan Kenobi, who was played by Sir Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor in previous movies.

and....!!!!!!

What's more, Mace Windu - played by Samuel L. Jackson in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones and Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith - could also get his own spin-off.

Anyways, thought you should know...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Just throwing this out there..

I think this whole 'planning ahead for the franchise (to the extent of 10 new features)' is, ironically, what tends to kill long-running film franchises.

Just look at Sony's run with Spider-Man. All they talked about was how much planning and planning and planning they're putting into it for future development, but

OOPS!

They forgot to actually focus on what they were supposed to be doing...making one, decent, whole, cohesive unit called a feature film.

But, from Disney, who can expect the above result ^ ?

Edit: For the record, I adore Star Wars and will probably be in line for midnight premiere tickets for all 10 films no matter how terrible they become.

edit on 8-3-2016 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Marvel and Disney are engaged in a fight to the death with the victim being the films industry.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Ten more Star Wars? zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: SpongeBeard
a reply to: NarcolepticBuddha

Marvel and Disney are engaged in a fight to the death with the victim being the films industry.

Apart from that both of them are ruining movies industry. We need something new and they aren't coming. Hopefully Avatar 2 and New Alien film is going to be good. I thought they just going to stick with 6. Rogue One trilogy and Force Awaken Episodes. Way too many superheroes movie from Marvel. It was much better in the 90's when all these movies not being based on books came out of no where. Nothing is original anymore in Hollywood. You can say good bye to good action movies. This year is total crap, there isn't a single original movie coming out this year.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: SpongeBeard

Disney owns marvel

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Disney owns Marvel lol. Disney is a monopoly of epic proportions and that will only hurt the industries that they are a part of in the end.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Disney owns Marvel lol. Disney is a monopoly of epic proportions and that will only hurt the industries that they are a part of in the end.

Ya, the most dangerous part for movie industry is when Disney buys Warner Bros. therefore owning DC comics. The only reason why there is so much DC movies lately is because of Marvel movies. The entire movie industry is turning into a comic book fest now.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
The next few will be good and then there will be a gradual decline in writing as there is an even sharper uptake in light sabers, space battles and special effects extravaganzas. A formula will be decided on and the movies will follow that formula to the letter.

And the fans will find themselves watching the original trilogy on blu ray at home instead of going out.

But in the interest of not being too cynical, the next few films should be legendary, made with love, smarts and creativity. Isn't episode 9 possibly having some footage shot in outer space?
It's novelty, I know, but it's so cool.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Star Wars Episode 19: The Force Run Into the Ground

You know, for this to work in any possibly enjoyable way, Disney will almost have to delve into some of the side stories from the canon and give fans something entirely new. They need to go back before the Clone Wars into the formation of the Jedi Order and the hundred years of darkness war with the Sith. Dig into all the crap from Knights of the Old Republic.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:35 AM
link   
If the continuation of the franchise means a continued blatant plagiarization of 'A New Hope' but just swapping in new characters then I'm gonna be bummed. It's to big of a missed opportunity to not push for some really good writing.

Yes, the familiar story line (& editing techniques, character dev, etc.) felt good (especially after the painful episodes 1-3), but surely we can do better than... a bigger death star.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 02:41 AM
link   
i don't think they will get to it though, disney is pushing it big time, don't they have a marvel movie line-up until the sun goes supernova?
i'm already bored with marvel movies since they pretty much are a copy paste exercise.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:49 AM
link   

All I get from that is this image

The cow is Star Wars, the Farmer is Disney

At least I won't have high expectations so won't be disappointed

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:24 AM
link   

They just couldn't be happy with finishing the trilogy, making their profit, and moving on.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified
They just couldn't be happy with finishing the trilogy, making their profit, and moving on.

How do you think Jean Luc feels about the Star Trek franchise which has been milked all to hell already?

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Klassified

How do you think Jean Luc feels about the Star Trek franchise which has been milked all to hell already?

I actually enjoyed Abrams Star Trek reboot, but yeah, things start getting messy if you keep beating that horse.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I can see it now.

When I turn 70 I will be watching Star Wars 45 commericals.

In Virtual reality no less.

Oh geez.

Run in to the ground is right.

top topics

join