It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to skip Nancy Reagan's funeral to speak at South by Southwest...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:49 PM
link   
See last post
(Missed it by that much)

edit on 9-3-2016 by JohnnyCanuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What funerals should a sitting President at least consider attending???

Let's see...

A leader of an allied nation? I'd say so. A former President of this country? Absolutely. Few excuses would cover not going.

An elected representative in Congress? Again, certainly. A sitting Supreme Court Justice? Again, certainly. A former Presidents spouse? A little grayer area here, but if at all possible, yes. How about a soldier/sailor/marine killed in combat? If you've sent 'em into combat, the very least you can do is look the families in the eye, as often as possible.

I'd go so far as to say that last would be more important then any of the one's proceeding.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:57 PM
link   
There was a larger government presence at Michael Browns funeral than a former first lady. It is a F$^&#^# abomination.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: theantediluvian

originally posted by: EightTF3
a reply to: theantediluvian

He just skipped a supreme court justices funeral. Explain that one to me and how it wasn't politically motivated and he's also skipping this for SBSW a prolonged hipster festival he could speak at another day, not an important state function.

Not actually a state function. Here in America, by default, only sitting and ex-Presidents get state funerals.

Only four out of the last seven SCOTUS justice's funerals were attended by the then President: Bush 43 attended Rehnquist's but not White's. Clinton attended Burger's, Brennan’s and Marshall's but did not attend Blackmun's or Powell's. Going back a bit further: Reagan didn't attend Potter Stewart's or Abe Fortas's funerals. I guess he had political motivations for his overt lack of respect too right?

I think I covered all the SCOTUS justice/former justice funerals from the 80's on. So that's 4 out of 9.

Is it starting to dawn on you that your opinion is more about how you feel than what you know?

I said SXSW wasn't a state function, and it's over a week long I think. Why I said he could make time, as a tiny show of respect. I also voted for Obama. I bought his schtick post Bush and he's the same as the rest of them. I'm now old enough to really understand this crap and I can't really see any angle where he looks good in this.
edit on 9-3-2016 by EightTF3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: matafuchs

Did you really expect anything different?

No. Just confirms his character.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join