It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are US members not crying "Freedom!" for the UK/EU vote like they did for Scotland?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I think it has to do with being potentially oppressed brothers.

We were oppressed by England and then broke away.

Scotland is claiming to be oppressed by England and they want to break away.

England wants to escape from oppression? No sympathy.

(This is a light-hearted post, please don't get all worked up about it).

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand

I assume you're talking about the "Brexit?"

To be honest, it has received far less media coverage in the US compared to the Scottish vote. Probably because the Scottish vote wasn't for them to leave the EU... seems like global media is firmly nestled inside the EU's buttcheeks and the American media knows full well that the loudest US support will be placed against the UK remaining with the European Union. *Most* Americans I personally know have no doe-eyed love for the EU and wouldn't care one way or the other if they folded the whole mess. There's definitely a more robust hatred of the EU here than there is a vocal support, but both extremes are muted by a majority who simply don't care.

When the referrendum date arrives, this American encourages Brits who want out of the EU (and only Brits who want out) to vote early, vote often, and vote BREXIT.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I never thought Scotland should become totally independent, despite my Scottish background and nature, but certainly recognized for its unique self. I do believe in strength through unity and commonality. I also believe the UK is better off a part of the EU so that it can help shape the future rather than deal with a separate EU it has no control over at all. While some may say it must be a permanent grouping, we all know empires and groups fall apart eventually... at least so far through history. Borders change, wars happen, catastrophes happen.... but to be right next door to a huge trading partner and have no say so at all about taxes and tariffs and embargoes and how to deal with outside problems that are shared.... I feel this is shortsighted and egotistical.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Why would we expect Americans to have an opinion on this, they still have 5 months of trump mania to inflict on ATS.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Lol true, and the Trump campaign has to be the funniest political spectacle I've watched in a long time, comedy gold!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: grainofsand our political scene must appear as boring as hell in comparison. I'm certainly getting bored of the eu debate.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:11 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

Ah only 3 monthsto go now fella, maybe Boris will do something ridiculously clown-like and give us a few chuckles along the way!

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 10:31 AM
link   
I a reply to: grainofsand there's enough characters in there to make a bit of a panto over it all

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join