It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: U.S. Tells D.C. to Pay Inaugural Expenses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Breaking with precedent, administration officials announced yesterday, January 10, that it will not be reimbursing the District for most of the associated costs for next week's inauguration and will force the city to divert $11.9 million from their Homeland Security Projects. The Feds say the District can cover the expenditure using some of the $240 million that they have received in the past three years from their homeland security grants.

www.washingtonpost.com
U.S. Tells D.C. to Pay Inaugural Expenses
Other Security Projects Would Lose $11.9 Million
By Spencer S. Hsu
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, January 11, 2005; Page A01
D.C. officials said yesterday that the Bush administration is refusing to reimburse the District for most of the costs associated with next week's inauguration, breaking with precedent and forcing the city to divert $11.9 million from homeland security projects.
Federal officials have told the District that it should cover the expenses by using some of the $240 million in federal homeland security grants it has received in the past three years -- money awarded to the city because it is among the places at highest risk of a terrorist attack

Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Mayor Anthony A. Williams (D) estimated the cost will total $17.3 million and that they have only have $5.4 million leaving a balance of $11.9 million outstanding. I am assuming the local populace will pay this, even though what monies they had was earmarked for firefighter equipment and a new transit system command centers.
I find it amazing how the Bush Administration just runs roughshod over the people of the U.S. as if they have no worries about repercussions. Seeing they are charging a quarter million dollars a plate one would think they would pick the tab up them selves.

Related News Links:
Inauguration Under Fire
Sticking D.C. With The Tab

[edit on 11-1-2005 by Banshee]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Regardless of party affiliation, the Inaugural Revelry is UNnecessary. Why do they need to have these extravagent parties, especially if the people have to pay for it. The people aren't benefitting from these parties. BAH HUMBUG!

It's bad enough localities get stifffed for the security expenses when the President (and presidential candidates) visit, but to force D.C. to pay for these parties is sinful.

Over and above the distasteful charging of cities for federal largesse, aren't we supposed to be at War, anyway? From what I understand, Wilson and Roosevelt cancelled their parties during WWI & WWII. Maybe Iraq isn't the same magnitude conflict, but it is a conflict nonetheless.

[edit on 11-1-2005 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   
The Kings's coronation doesnt come cheap.

This is double the Clintons' inauguration. What nerve. As if this country can afford it. As if "he" were the most important King of Kings.

This is being done to flip the bird at us and the rest of the world again.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
fine, then divert $11.9 million from their homeland security projects and leave that budget lacking, if the idiots in the white house don't feel secure, well, they can spend some of their money securing the place themselves I guess.......

I'm sorry, but, the massive gov't budgets are really quite rediculous, and well, it's really sickening watching all the different government branches argue and bicker over the few crumbs they have managed to leave standing on the table. We all know what will happen, sooner or later, they will all be turning their eyes towards us wanting more.....and I am sure that this will happen long before any of them get the bright idea of weeding out all the unnecessary crap out and diverting the funding of a stupid aquarium, or funding for the study of the sex habits of the lowly lobster or whatever else they are sending millions to for these basic necessities like our security and well being.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Hum, I will not be surprised that our inauguration safety and extravaganza will come at the expenses of our nations security, funny how the "war on terror" is becoming fragmented since the elections was won by Bush.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Couldn't D.C. say that the administration pay for their own shindig or hold it somewhere else?

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I support the President, but the U.S. government should take care of all the expenses associated with the inauguration. The U.S. government has a history of screwing the residents of D.C. since they are provided with no representation in Congress and the U.S. government takes up a huge amount of D.C. land and pays no property taxes on it.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
11.9 million $ what the hell are they doing at these party, eating lobster or some such rubbish of gold pate's, followed by vintage champage by the gallon.

Ummm
War on terror? War in iraq (sorry conflict) no sorry again insurgent problem that is still ongoing and getting bloddier by the day, major disater in SE asia millions dead or missing, the entire area needs massive help with rebuilding the place.

And Our beloved George W Bush Jnr decide's that as he has a job for the next 4 years and he hasn't been impeached or manage to brankrupt the us ecomey YET!!!
and he has had 1 war (misson asscompilshed) and he has 1 or 2 brewing if he gets boared.

I assume the bin laden family on the guest list? haliburton boardmembers? U bet they have vip invations.

How about tony from brooklyn or any tax paying american? yeah right you go within a 100 yards of any of the venues and see how fast you get picked and have a friendly chat with the United state serect serivce, when they are happy you arn't Osama or know Osama they might led you go or might not depends on what mood they are in.

Well rant over, forgive me, but im sure you all feel about the same.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by James291077
11.9 million $ what the hell are they doing at these party, eating lobster or some such rubbish of gold pate's, followed by vintage champage by the gallon.

These are security costs such as paying for extra police etc.

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux
Couldn't D.C. say that the administration pay for their own shindig or hold it somewhere else?

or maybe they could just forget about security on that day?? give their cops the day off, leave the trash laying in the streets, let the white house burn to the ground if it catches on fire........

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 01:13 PM
link   
They could just take the cost directly from the paychecks of everyone who voted for Bush.

Now that would be poetic justice

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Let them set-up a barn on the south lawn and fill it with the few who give a heck, although I'd miss seeing the twins yawn everytime their dad reads a speech.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Bush and his buddies know the Homeland Security money is a smokescreen for a non-existent threat so why not use some of it to pay for the beer and hookers on big night.

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Question: I'm assuming that the DNC and RNC cost Boston and NYC extra money for police/fire for those conventions. Who picked up the tab for the extra security for those shindigs?

posted on Jan, 12 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pisky
They could just take the cost directly from the paychecks of everyone who voted for Bush.

Now that would be poetic justice

No problem. We'll get it back 1,000 fold with all those no-bid contracts in Iraq and the rigged voting machines we sell to the Dems.

new topics

top topics

join