It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me, or has there been an influx of trolls in the past few months?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:23 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Perhaps this would embody the proverbial false flag of ideologies? Yet it seems they often fail, as even the most outlandish notions gain supporters.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:29 AM
link   

I'm not sure about any of you, but I don't find them irritating at all. Their engagement in particular subjects -especially those about the education of a particular study- usually stem from beyond-stereotypical, ignorant arguments against the study at hand, and the more responses they receive that validly explain the falsehoods in their claims about the subject, the more educated the non-participating audience becomes.

I know which thread in question is probably the best example of this...LOL.

Although you have to be careful not to brand some one as a troll simply on the basis of a disagreement in a discussion.
Once you do that it just gets unnecessarily messy.
Sometimes people really are silly stupid...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:49 AM
link   
I recon trolls have been around for some 3700 odd posts

You just can't handle people who have a different opinion than yours

It's evident by your posting history you hate religion so you label anyone who disagrees with your views a troll.

No doubt because I have replied I am a troll derailing your thread

Swings and roundabouts, the I am better than you mentality

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight
Keep it up both of you, in a thread about Trolls....sheesh...you've been long enough, you should know better

This being a thread about trolls, I cited an example and we were speculating on his geographical status. I thought it relevant.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boscowashisnamo

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

This is an example of a thread that got trolled out of existence. I'm ashamed to say I haven't got back to see what else was said after the first string of irrelevant comments. I just abandoned it as being too tainted. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll see yours and raise you mine...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Theres enough trolled out threards to start a poker game!!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Sorry guys I've been back logged, I'll try to get to you all as soon as I can.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 10:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheConstruKctionofLight

You will note that we have not derailed the thread, that further communication on the threads topic is still possible, and that we are not spamming the board with off topic discussion. This is what ought to be referred to as reasonable tangency. It is entirely natural, not obstructive to the conversation in general, and the tangent has been explored to its limit in a concise fashion, as a result of which, such exploration has now ceased in any event.

Was it worth the complaint? No. Carry on!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

This is an example of a thread that got trolled out of existence. I'm ashamed to say I haven't got back to see what else was said after the first string of irrelevant comments. I just abandoned it as being too tainted. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I read the thread you linked. The thread wasn't trolled out of existence. It became what it is/was because you failed to provide any examples/scenarios of your premise holding any water. You simply asserted that "it" made your life and interactions 'better' (to paraphrase). Get back to your thread and follow up with some substantiation of proof. That's on you.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I haven't noticed a rise in the number of trolls in the past few months. It seems to me they have always been here, however, with the political race heating up it might seem like their number is increasing. Sometimes people who are usually completely rational end up frothing at the mouth when it comes to politics and 'their' candidate.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I think people in this thread are getting confused with trolling and political debate. They may seem similar because you may not see the logic with another person's political choices. Trolling however is an art form, its a soup best served subtle. I have not noticed any clever trolling on ATS lately.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
You just can't handle people who have a different opinion than yours

It's evident by your posting history you hate religion so you label anyone who disagrees with your views a troll.

There's a difference between presenting an opinion or a position and trolling.

~ A position would generally be supported by citations, reputable sources, or some sort of information.

~ An opinion doesn't need to be supported by anything at all, but it can be influenced by other information that may sway that opinion. It also is generally posted from a humble conception, with no ill intentions involved.

~ Trolling is when a person intentionally quote-mines people in the thread to entice aggravation. Trolling almost never uses citations or supported information to back their claims, and in most cases will state outright that they refuse to back sources because it's 'too much work'. Trolling intentionally presents misinterpreted information to tempt aggression from the opposing position. Trolling sometimes sporadically posts completely off topic videos/music and whatever else in a last-chance attempt to derail the topic.

A position is something someone took great time to conclude to.

An opinion is something someone isn't totally sure of, but currently believes to be correct

Trolling is an intent on forming as much aggravation and derailment as possible.

Everyone has a right to have an opinion and a position, even one's I don't agree with. If those same people post information that has been previously debunked, or simply an inaccurate description of something they aren't totally familiar with, then that is a humble mistake, and of course I'll respond with the information to help them understand that topic better.

A troll, however, is just someone who posts nonsense in order to try and upset people.

There is a substantial difference.

edit on 8/3/16 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:55 PM
link   

See here in this one www.abovetopsecret.com... as soon as one got banned another popped up. It's getting out of control.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: obnoxiouschick

See here in this one www.abovetopsecret.com... as soon as one got banned another popped up. It's getting out of control.

I can't fathom what leads someone to spend so much time literally doing nothing at all and achieving nothing at all.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   

I looked at the times of the posts and thought "This guy doesn't sleep"
Which probably explains the crazy posts.
Sad thing was I thought the topic was interesting but I didn't want to feed the poor person's ego.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:43 PM
link   

I think the troll calling liberal "cucks" continuously is a rather hilarious addition to the ats band wagon
also somewhat annoying but clearly fascinated with fetish.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147There's a difference between presenting an opinion or a position and trolling.

~ A position would generally be supported by citations, reputable sources, or some sort of information.

~ An opinion doesn't need to be supported by anything at all, but it can be influenced by other information that may sway that opinion. It also is generally posted from a humble conception, with no ill intentions involved.

~ Trolling is when a person intentionally quote-mines people in the thread to entice aggravation. Trolling almost never uses citations or supported information to back their claims, and in most cases will state outright that they refuse to back sources because it's 'too much work'. Trolling intentionally presents misinterpreted information to tempt aggression from the opposing position. Trolling sometimes sporadically posts completely off topic videos/music and whatever else in a last-chance attempt to derail the topic.

A position is something someone took great time to conclude to.

An opinion is something someone isn't totally sure of, but currently believes to be correct

Trolling is an intent on forming as much aggravation and derailment as possible.

Everyone has a right to have an opinion and a position, even one's I don't agree with. If those same people post information that has been previously debunked, or simply an inaccurate description of something they aren't totally familiar with, then that is a humble mistake, and of course I'll respond with the information to help them understand that topic better.

A troll, however, is just someone who posts nonsense in order to try and upset people.

There is a substantial difference.

See I disagree completely

You are happy cite your own preferred texts and deny any that may conflict with your opinion

You will say they are not "peer reviewed" hold no value. Some peer reviewed works hold no value to me, your position is influenced by those you "deify", it doesn't make the peer review system infallible, does it?

I hold a position on creation and I know it causes you some amount of angst, also gets me labelled a troll because I don't accept your/evolution views as fact.

Troll, someone who doesn't have the capacity to understand anothers opinion, that the others opinion is valid to them and that their own opinion is infallible. Just like any other fundamentalist

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:50 PM
link   

See I disagree completely

You are happy cite your own preferred texts and deny any that may conflict with your opinion

On the contrary, I've changed my position or admitted I was false many times, and all thanks to comments that provided adequate evidence that supported their claims

The issue I see most often is that many people don't really understand what constitutes evidence. If someone provides substantial evidence, then they have a solid position, and one I wouldn't disagree with.

You will say they are not "peer reviewed" hold no value.

I have never said that.

However, peer reviewed work is certainly advantageous to cited material

Some peer reviewed works hold no value to me, your position is influenced by those you "deify", it doesn't make the peer review system infallible, does it?

That's your opinion, but I would argue that having a number of experts look over a paper on a particular study to ensure quality of research and adherence to editorial standards is very beneficial.

It certainly isn't the only way to provide evidence for something, but it is beneficial nonetheless.

As for your assessment that "my position is influenced by those I defy" is just absurd. But, if you have reason to believe this, you're more than welcome to present the quotes necessary to prove it

I hold a position on creation and I know it causes you some amount of angst

No. You're personal positions have no affect on my mental state what so ever. But, you've certainly made a habit of assuming that I'm always frustrated with you and anything to do with 'anti-evolution' claims. Sorry, but your positions simply do not affect my mood.

also gets me labelled a troll because I don't accept your/evolution views as fact.

Your position doesn't make you a troll. The only thing that would make you a troll would be an intent on angering people and derailing topics.

Troll, someone who doesn't have the capacity to understand anothers opinion

This is not an accurate definition of a troll. Being a troll has nothing to do with comprehension of topics.

that the others opinion is valid to them and that their own opinion is infallible. Just like any other fundamentalist

Sorry, but I don't believe you understand what a 'troll' really is.

A troll is:
~ a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion, often for their own amusement.
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

edit on 8/3/16 by Ghost147 because: typo

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
No. You're personal positions have no affect on my mental state what so ever. But, you've certainly made a habit of assuming that I'm always frustrated with you and anything to do with 'anti-evolution' claims. Sorry, but your these simply do not affect my mood.

Well I am pleased to hear that

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:27 PM
link   

It's the U.S. election zone. WIN-NING! I'm not going to speak about the troll ratio, as I have no measurable way to quantify them. There has, however, been a ramping up of posts that I've observed in the past around election cycles.

Certain conclusions could be drawn, if one were bored and inclined toward producing pie charts. I myself would hate to have that as a hobby.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join