It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it me, or has there been an influx of trolls in the past few months?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:57 PM
link   
To be clear, I would describe a 'troll' as a person who posts deliberately provocative messages with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. This could be in the form of thread derailment, or simply posting a thread themselves with a clear aim to irritate people in general, or a particular group of people.

This behavior is pretty easy to spot considering trolls usually don't take the effort to support their claims with reputable examples, and no matter how many times a person or a group of people (including people that have naturally opposing view-points) are all explaining how their claims are built on a false premise, the troll continues onward making the same claims over and over again.

I don't know if it's me or not, or if perhaps it's all just coincidental, but there seems to be an increasing level of long-standing trolls that keep joining the forum. By long-standing I mean people whom actually stay active on the forum for months.

I'm not sure about any of you, but I don't find them irritating at all. Their engagement in particular subjects -especially those about the education of a particular study- usually stem from beyond-stereotypical, ignorant arguments against the study at hand, and the more responses they receive that validly explain the falsehoods in their claims about the subject, the more educated the non-participating audience becomes.

It's almost to the point, in some cases, where the trolls' arguments paint such a massively negative light on their position that it's as if the trolls are there to intentionally make that argument look ridiculous and to promote the oppositions argument.

Has anyone else noticed this?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

Is it me...

No, it's Trollz.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:10 AM
link   

more traffic = more trolls

But I've also noticed that the mods are getting the jump on them pretty good too... by the time I'm clicking on a thread, most of these types of posts are already deleted and/or the member has already been banned.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
I was a lurker for 5 years prior to taking the plunge last year. Before joining, it was entertaining to read the interaction between trolls and members on many topics, some to the point of verbal wars. The entertaining aspect of a troll looking for attention and confrontation vanished when I started a thread yesterday, and said troll hijacked my thread, and by his antics, drove others off. It takes time and effort to format a new thread, and research to validate the author's position/point. An unchecked troll can negate that effort.

Trolls add nothing to the discussion, and should be treated as a petulant 5 year old throwing a tantrum--ignored by all.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Sometimes irritating a particular group is a way of getting some action out of them, and getting them to trip over their own feet. If that group is responsible for some crime and they're sitting back complacently thinking they got away with it, the troll approach is a way of fishing them out into the open.

As to your last point. I did notice a number of professionals, when faced with the dilemma of what to say about 9/11, took the option of supporting the ridiculous parts of the official story enthusiastically. In this way they avoided the career consequences of speaking against the official story, while still making it obvious they recognise some parts of the official story are ridiculous. Perhaps a similar thing.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

This is an example of a thread that got trolled out of existence. I'm ashamed to say I haven't got back to see what else was said after the first string of irrelevant comments. I just abandoned it as being too tainted. www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 8 3 2016 by Kester because: condense

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Unfortunately cause and effect when it comes close to election time.

Same thing happens every four years. It's that magical little time when everyone wants their "opinion" heard....
edit on 8-3-2016 by openeyeswideshut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kester
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

This is an example of a thread that got trolled out of existence. I'm ashamed to say I haven't got back to see what else was said after the first string of irrelevant comments. I just abandoned it as being too tainted. www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'll see yours and raise you mine...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
most of these types of posts are already deleted and/or the member has already been banned.

That's a point, I wonder what % of trolls are repeat-members just riding the banned-wagon?

You can tell by certain writing styles and topics discussed.

Also, trolls live under bridges because they haven't learned how to build one and get over it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

That's a point, I wonder what % of trolls are repeat-members just riding the banned-wagon?

You can tell by certain writing styles and topics discussed.

Over the past couple of weeks, I've counted at least 5 people who I'm pretty darned sure were just recently banned under a different name... based on the exact things you pointed out - writings styles and the topics they favour the most.

I've made a little game out of it lately:

"Spot the Repeat Offender"

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

Yes, I think I've noticed a lot more traffic and new members in general too. It makes me wonder if the rise in trolls is simply equal to the rise in traffic.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: openeyeswideshut

Unfortunately cause and effect when it comes close to election time.

Same thing happens every four years. It's that magical little time when everyone wants their "opinion" heard....

Indeed.

However, I don't really go in the politics threads at all, so the troll wave seems to be affecting all forums then.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147

Indeed.

However, I don't really go in the politics threads at all, so the troll wave seems to be affecting all forums then.

Yeah I will agree with that. Some trickle down effect into other categories, and like sponge said, more traffic more trolls.

Happy elections year

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Just wait til summer when the kids are out of school.

Summer is usually our "silly season".

Hope you like schnitzel.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:14 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman
Bernie is that you?

link   
Bernie is that you?

link   
Bernie is that you?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Bernie, someone is trying to get your attention...

Answer them already, will ya ?!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:22 AM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

No, no, and also, no.

I have been around to witness his shenanigans, though.

I've also been around long enough to notice that in the summertime, when the kids are out of school and up late, bored in front of their computers, the levels of woo and impish behavior seem to increase dramatically.

Pair that with an election year and it's the perfect storm.
edit on 8-3-2016 by abe froman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ghost147
To be clear, I would describe a 'troll' as a person who posts deliberately provocative messages with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument. This could be in the form of thread derailment, or simply posting a thread themselves with a clear aim to irritate people in general, or a particular group of people.

This behavior is pretty easy to spot considering trolls usually don't take the effort to support their claims with reputable examples, and no matter how many times a person or a group of people (including people that have naturally opposing view-points) are all explaining how their claims are built on a false premise, the troll continues onward making the same claims over and over again.

I don't know if it's me or not, or if perhaps it's all just coincidental, but there seems to be an increasing level of long-standing trolls that keep joining the forum. By long-standing I mean people whom actually stay active on the forum for months.

I'm not sure about any of you, but I don't find them irritating at all. Their engagement in particular subjects -especially those about the education of a particular study- usually stem from beyond-stereotypical, ignorant arguments against the study at hand, and the more responses they receive that validly explain the falsehoods in their claims about the subject, the more educated the non-participating audience becomes.

It's almost to the point, in some cases, where the trolls' arguments paint such a massively negative light on their position that it's as if the trolls are there to intentionally make that argument look ridiculous and to promote the oppositions argument.

Has anyone else noticed this?

lets have a think about this.

The US presidential race is on and they play for keeps - well technically they do and perhaps some are. If this is the case they are not going to leave anything to chance if they can help it.

The Powers That Should Not Be will have their operators out working their arse of everywhere trying to win every heart and mind they can. So where would they do that?

Would well known chat rooms be a good place to get into and try n win hearts and minds?

It looks like Russia has prevented the US from kicking Assad out of Syria so that is somewhat of an embarrassment for the US would it not?

It that result is not an embarrassment for the US then their record of spending 5 years trying to kill off the rebels and ISIS, even using their vassal states to help them, they have failed. I read on this forum the US has flown over a 1,000 missions to try n kick the rebels and ISIS out.

Russia comes along and kicks ISIS arse to kingdom come in just a matter of a couple of months. If this is not a world wide embarrassment for the US then I don't know what is.

That would be a good reason to get their people out there working their arse off to try keep it out of the media and its only the independent media they are concerned about because the mainstream media is not an issue anyway, so again, getting their people into chat rooms to try n win hearts and minds would be a big priority for them.

So no, I don't think its you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join