It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if your candidate wins the popular vote, but is not made President?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I cant help but wonder...

What happens if Trump or who ever wins the popular vote, and still is not elected president?

If our representatives do not vote as their constituents do?

I dont want to go into a Trump VS Hillary thing. You guys know my stance on Rump and Satan.

I am wondering what you will do if he or anyone else is denied the presidency after the election by our representatives?

If your cause is against the establishment and they deny you your champion, what is next?

Are you so true as to march on Washington and demand your choice?

I personally think 99% of people are full of crap. That if that happens, even if it were for Bernie, Hillary or who ever, that you would do nothing.

That really, the democracy and the will of the people we tout about are lies. That in the end, nothing will change because NOTHING about us has changed.

Am I wrong?

Are those filling their mouths and our collective ears with cliche words like "the blood of patriots and the tree of liberty" and all that crap really true? Or is it all ego to look cool?

Is your life going to be put on the line? Your health, wealth and well being? All to advance the cause of democracy and the will of the people?

Really?

Or will you go back to being the same you from a year ago? Are you patriots and freemen taking a stand against the establishment? LOL

Where and when do you stop fighting for your noble cause and simply return to living JUST like you did before?

edit on 3 7 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Not much can be done except to vote. I hope people who lose will lose gracefully. It's a system that has been in place for many years and wouldn't represent a new change to the rules to deny a candidate.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: JustSayNo

But, I thought we were fighting the establishment?

Did we not expect this, THINK about this? Did no candidate think about this, and is anyone speaking to this?

No?

Then where is the hope? What is different THIS time around? We will send them a message? Is that it? They read our messages and the writing on the wall?

Is there ANYONE asking for direct democracy? Or is everyone just VALIDATING a sham system?

EDIT TO ADD:
Everyone knows what the popular vote is right? RIGHT? Please tell me people know how their own government works and that they bothered to inform themselves before choosing the "lesser evil they think will win"

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

I mean I will vote for a candidate I suppose, but I already know I will lose regardless of who 'wins'.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

So thats it basically.

Hope, here and now, is empty.

But we are VERY adamant. WHY?

Why not ask for something that will work? Why not work with ALL THAT fervor to get direct democracy, open up the election process to AVERAGE Americans and TRULY fight the establishment?

I mean its HARDER and requires REAL work,.....instead of charging a rock star politician or wealthy 1% to do it for us?

Is this a populace deserving of democracy?

Do we even deserve the democracy we inherited? Is it dynamic and true, evolving as the people do to empower them and motivate them to be a people like our founders?

Or is that all BS?

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Didn't this happen already with Bush?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:45 PM
link   

To be honest I would support a paternal autocrat over a democratically elected President but not to the degree I would support destruction of the current political system. America is currently a Republic and not a Democracy. It's as good a system as any and better than most. Beyond the survival of a strong middle class to be able to put pressure on the ruler or ruling classes I have no political ideology.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Since this scenario already occurred in 2000, I wouldn't expect much at all to occur. Though I could see Trump, were he on the losing side of the electoral college, not dropping the matter and fighting it in court far more diligently and far longer than Gore did in the hanging chad incident.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I'll vote for my friend and ex boss, Gov. Gary Johnson, and party on....
edit on 7-3-2016 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JustSayNo

It is a representative democracy.

We talk big though. Fight each other and get SOOO passionate....like it was really different this time around.

Why then even look at your political opposition as enemies and not as YOUR PEOPLE in the same boat TOGETHER? Its all BS anyways.

Why not just get along and stop the war of words and hearts.

Its all BS. The way things are, no one....NO ONE is being honest, even with themselves.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I mean I will vote for a candidate I suppose, but I already know I will lose regardless of who 'wins'.

You echo my thoughts fairly well.

What I tell my friends, my family and myself is we just have to accept how screwed we are and do our best to survive (and maybe thrive) within the confines of this world.

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:49 PM
link   
It's happened already 4 times in US history:

John Quincy Adams

Rutherford Hayes

Benjamin Harris

George W. Bush.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: eluryh22

I dont want to offend, and I chose your post only because I have heard this before and want to speak to it. Excuse me if it sounds like its directed at YOU., Its not.

IS that the sentiment of a people WORTHY of a working democracy? Would our population MAKE a democracy, or a representative democracy like the one we have...... if it were up to a people LIKE US?

Do we not see a problem WITH us, keeping us from everything we want?

before voting for change, shouldnt we start talking and looking at ourselves with a little bit of honesty? What fracking change? We are the same unworthy people we were last year....

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.

We are insane. We wouldnt know what to do with real freedom. WHY even pretend thats what we want? WE DONT

edit on 3 8 2016 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

And what have WE done about it? Nothing.

We dont deserve better. We are not ready for change. We are not READY to fight the establishment.

Can we be honest about that and START to change US? ...at least before asking others to change things for us?

Cant we see NO ONE is really a champion of the people. That ALL are working within a system not meant to empower a single average slob.

They know the nature and dynamic of power in the US, all of them. NONE are asking to change that. NONE. An average american would ask for that, 99% of people would agree that the whole electoral college is unsuited to serve us anymore.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Not much to do about it really.

First, take a look at the numbers for each (IE how many more popular votes their opponents had). Compare the numbers to what was the voting population at the time, and it's actually close to a tie.

The biggest numbers were W. Bush's with over half a million more popular votes going to Gore. But, half a million is chump change when compared to the over all number of votes.

To get people in a big enough uproar (IE pitch forks and torches in the streets), it would have to be some rather drastic numbers.

Like one of them get's 75 percent of the popular vote or more, but their opponent is elected by the electorial votes instead.

THAT would cause some civil unrest to be sure. But so far? Nah....the spread is not big enough. Some might gripe or whine about it, but it will take much, much bigger numbers than what we've seen in the past.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Well, I'm not sure about the other three cases but when Bush took office the public accepted it, well minus all the Democrats and those voting for Gore. I guess you could say neither were worth fighting for or against because once again we were given the choice between the lesser of two evils.

This time around is very different, especially pertaining to Trump but also Sanders. There is already a clear inner party war against both but will there finally be a boiling point if the public is robbed of their vote?

Oh yes, I believe so and the establishment, the wealthy elites, better be careful on how far they'll push because the public is slipping through their fingers of control.
edit on 7-3-2016 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Swills

And what will this population do?

I am sorry, I dont want to offend you since I REALLY like you,

But thats BS. We will do nothing. We are not our founders. We will just lift our skirt and moan.

We are not different. We have not fought to be. We have fought to stay the same.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: eriktheawful

Agreed, but I'm a bit more jaded than you.

I think the numbers would have to be so drastically obvious, to the enth degree, before people would finally stand up and rally their pitchforks in hand against said corruption.

Otherwise, it'll be just be the usual apathetic indignation that slowly fades away into the abyss after a couple of months of soapboxing their frustrations.

... and the wheels on the bus go round and round, round and round, round and round.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:14 PM
link   
a reply to: CranialSponge

And what would that world be like, after the pitchforks are put down?

How are we going to change anything if we are the same people that MADE this sham so much worse?

Do you trust us with our country? The average people? Will they be different than those we would depose?

Is this a nation of rebel patriot commoners?

Warrior poets? Philosopher kings? Lions?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:16 PM
link   

I think if it ends up being clearly lopsided (IE the popular vote is actually a landslide for one, but the electoral votes go to the other) might cause some civil unrest. There will be some issues.

Will the whole country revolt?

Nah. No one is hurting enough right now. Most US citizens have some sort of roof over their head, a paycheck, and are able to get McDonalds and watch Netflix still. They are not hurting enough to risk rising up against their own government.

Not yet anyways.

Still, it's not hard for me to imagine Hillary being sworn into office with only 30 percent or less of the popular vote, and when asked about it hearing that shrill voice say:

"What does it mater now?"

brrrrrrrrrrr.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join