It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What foods did you grow up with?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Sounds like heaven to me!! The rivers near me are not exactly the lazy sort! More like white rafting river. lol Maybe I need to head to Oklahoma instead! Although Colorado has some awesome hiking and good hunting and fishing!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: diggindirt

Can you adopt me!!! That all sounds amazing!! I'm going to try out those recipes!!

We always ate seasonally too, I actually still do that. I don't like buying things from out of country. No tomatoes in the middle of winter for me. I'm hoping that I pass that along to my boys too. They also are learning how to can their own foods from the garden we have!

But to me that was just normal so it isn't hard to keep up with it. It still seems strange to see foods in the store that I know are not in season.
edit on 7-3-2016 by MaMaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: malevolent

So were we! Cousin, is that you?
you joking?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:56 PM
link   

I think my mama would stuff your porcupine meatballs in her green bell peppers, toppin it off with Campbells 'mater' soup before slippin the pan into a hot oven to bake!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:57 PM
link   

I totally forgot about Poke Sallet!

Brown bags of the stuff...sinks full of greens being washed...

Wow. Just. Wow.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Verdin, Anadarko, Chikashea...nope, we were Irish Cherokee too! I still am, actually.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Yeah well, I'm gonna miss fried chicken for another few days....cuz my birthday is coming and I'm waking up to a fried tater sammich for breakfast, then fried chicken, spinach n bacon, and peach cobbler for my meals that day.

Gonna look for Five Alive on Jet.com or Amazon.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: MaMaa

Summers in OK are hot, humid, chiggery, and damned memorable.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:06 PM
link   

i didn't grow up there i was from cali. my family came from there though. the Allys or something like that

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:10 PM
link   

bacon wrapped asparagus sounds good

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Summers in OK are hot, humid, chiggery, and damned memorable.
dont lie summer in the south sucks. the heat would be bearable its the humidity that blows

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I also moved from OK to Ca.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:17 PM
link   

traditions and the way your raised always stick with you no matter where your from, even the foods you like

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:08 AM
link   

All different kinds, but the favorites I remember are:

1)Nannie's Shake and Bake chicken.
2) Fish sticks and cube steak my grandmother made.
3) Persian rice and tadig- my stepfather is from Iran and he taught my mom to cook it.
4) Cookie Crisp cereal!!!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Sure, we'll welcome another "adopted" kid. We've got about a dozen that have "adopted" us through the years and have lived with us at one time or either while they were in school or after they graduated. All will admit that it was the food that drew them in. They even brought their potential significant others for our examination! The one who didn't appreciate the farm got discarded. It has been kinda eerie at times to say the least. Some have lost their parents, some were estranged and some brought their parents too. Now they bring their kids. It's a hoot when they can all get here at once. Last summer we had 27 people here, some indoors but most camping in the yard. Of course, our kids join in too because they were the ones who started bringing in "strays" as they called them, kids who didn't have anywhere else to be on holidays. Our kids would always tell them, "Hey come on over, our family is so big, our parents won't even notice an extra."

And yes, we still eat by the seasons by and large. We may eat green peas, asparagus or strawberries in the middle of winter but it's because we've grown and frozen them from our gardens. But we eat far more of the "winter" veggies like cabbage and sweet potatoes in winter.

Our kids thought they were being deprived when they didn't get to eat a lot of fast food growing up. We put up with a lot of whining during their teen years. Now they are very appreciative that they weren't addicted to that stuff and actually had to learn to cook. My stepdaughter was the only one who absolutely resisted and refused to learn. It wasn't until she become a mother at age 39 and began to care about food that she began to learn. That's when she asked for copies of dozens of my recipes.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

I totally forgot about Poke Sallet!

Brown bags of the stuff...sinks full of greens being washed...

Wow. Just. Wow.

Nothing says Spring better than Poke and Eggs. I like to saute it in a little bacon grease then scramble the eggs into it. Some prefer to boil the eggs and chop them on top. I like that okay but with the eggs scrambled in gets my vote every time. With a sprinkle of vinegar over it and a few cornsticks---Yum!
I have my grandmother's cast iron cornstick and corn muffin pans. Makes the perfect cornbread.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:42 AM
link   

I think my mama would stuff your porcupine meatballs in her green bell peppers, toppin it off with Campbells 'mater' soup before slippin the pan into a hot oven to bake!

Oh, yeah! Mama made those too and come to think of it, it was about the same thing. Also almost the same mix went into Mama's cabbage rolls. I have used tomato soup but now I make my own tomato sauce so I know what I'm eating.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Birdsseye potato waffles, finders crispy pancakes, tomato soup and lots of baked beans. My mum has always been a bit lazy in the kitchen, wasn't until I moved home in 2007 that my dad took over the cooking and dad got all Jamie Oliver on our ass that things improved
edit on 8-3-2016 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:50 AM
link   
My parents were initially midwest farmers, so us kids started out on homegrown (and organic before it was a thing) everything. Unpasteurized milk, and unadulterated pork, chicken, beef, turkey & the occasional duck as well. We didn't have an orchard or any fruit trees at all, I think we got our fruit from neighbors who did. My dad bartered quite a bit with the livestock -- a chicken in exchange for XYZ, a couple cuts of pork or beef for that, and so forth.

Pretty much stuck to the same kind of midwestern meat & potatoes diet when they got out of farming & we moved to FL, just with the addition of locally caught fish my dad & I used to catch ourselves once or twice a week -- flounder, grouper, snapper, grunt, sheepshead, etc (grunt & sheepshead are actually freakin' AWESOME when grilled & seasoned right)

Edit: And I'm still all about the meat & potatoes. Don't care what you do to the meat, but the taters BETTER be mashed! Kidding, kidding. I'll eat a butter-soaked baked potato, too.
edit on 3/8/2016 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:44 AM
link   
My adoptive mother was not the best cook but her roast chicken with the most glorious roast taters was always our Sunday meal,and Wonderful.Her veggies dishes were sublime too,so i learned to love veggies from childhood-and that is important so i forgive her for not being good with curries and pastas and pies.She could make a pretty decent meat+veggie stew too,her carrot stew was really good but my favorite was "waterblommetjie" stew.Made with lamb and a type of veggie-like edible water flower found in the rivers of the province i grew up in.Its a well loved South African classic.

My father was a farm manager so we always had copious amounts of fresh organic meat,fruit and veg.My favorite sandwich growing up was lettuce and smoked Snoek.Snoek is a wonderfully delicious barracuda like fish,also a South African tradition,great on the bbq too.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join