It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Attack of the iPod People: Help!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I have a .wav file in a folder on my computer. It is a nice audio file of water lapping on a beach that I can't afford to visit. I want to play this file on my iPod shuffle 4th gen.

I have tried to do so using iTunes to "sync" the file because just copying it to the iPod from the folder, like any sane piece of hardware would require, is not the way the iPod works.

iTunes, however, can't seem to see the file. I can't drag and drop it into a play list.

I have been fooling around with this for a couple of hours now. Doing this seems to be only slightly more difficult than overthrowing the Kim dynasty in Korea.

Anybody know how to do this? As usual, all help is appreciated.
edit on 7-3-2016 by ipsedixit because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: ipsedixit

There are various software programs that do a better job than iTunes

But not a 100 percent, it's possible iPod doesn't play .wav files maybe?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:55 PM
link   
a reply to: tayton

According to the Apple support page, .wav files are supported by the iPod, (but maybe not by iTunes?). Thanks. I'm going to look into that.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   

I think .wav is short for Windows Audio/Video, a very Microsoft thing (and also not compressed so they take up far too much file space).

Get something to convert it.

Audacity (free to download & multi-platform) allows conversion between lots of audio formats and if you download the LAME codec (also free to download), you can save as .mp3 which plays well with Apple stuff.

edit on 7/3/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

Thanks. I did some looking around and the .wav problem is a known issue, despite Apple saying the format is supported. I have Format Factory on my computer, so I think I'll just convert the .wav file to an .mp3. I think that will do the trick.

Yaaaay! It worked! Thanks for the input. ATS comes through again.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Download Audacity which is free open source software and convert the file to MP3 and then drag it into ITunes from the folder.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

you're thinking of .wma or .wmv files

a .wav files is merely an uncompressed audio file that is literally the data if read from a CD format for example.

new topics

top topics

join