It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Collective memory discovered in bacteria

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:16 PM
link   
a reply to: 0bserver1

"Our original hypothesis was that cancer cells were modifying their metabolism based on communications they were receiving from cells in the microenvironment near the tumor," said Nagrath, assistant professor of chemical and bio molecular engineering at Rice and co-author of a new study describing the research in the open-access journal eLife. "None of us expected to find that they were converting the signals directly into energy."

The results were part of a four-year study by Nagrath, his students and collaborators at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center and other institutions about the role of exosomes in cancer metabolism. Exosomes are tiny packets of proteins, microRNA and nucleic acids that cells emit into their environment to both communicate with neighboring cells and influence their behavior. Nagrath, who directs Rice's Laboratory for Systems Biology of Human Diseases, found that some cancer cells are capable of using these information packets as a source of energy to fuel tumor growth.

Source

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 11:36 PM
link   
I have said this before and got called crazy.
that bacteria have a memory and colective consciousness.
ok I am crazy.

bacteria was the first life form that had any kind of intelligence.
and they were around a Very long time before othere life.
some thing must have had a hand in the creation of DNA.
it could not just pop up on its own!

a astroid can flys around longer than a planet.
bacteria grow in then geting heated as they pass a sun.
they say life is seeded on a planet by astroids.

a lot of people can Not accept that we come from monkeys.
and they will not accept that we come from bacteria.
they will definitely not accept that bacteria could have any kind of intelligence.

what is in All life? bacteria.
the human body can Not live with out bacteria.
the human body is a very good vehicle for bacteria.

but lets remember the earth is flat and the centre of the universe.

edit on 8-3-2016 by buddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   
This is a very interesting study. There are some parallels here with another thread from last month:
Is this Evidence of Evolution in a SIngle Generation?

In the study that thread referenced, researchers detected over 700 different gene expressions that were inherited by the offspring of fish that were hatched and reared for the first year in a hatchery.

It appears that those differential gene expressions were due to epigenetic influences. It also appears that those changes to the epigenetic functions were activated by the hatchery environment, including the higher population density present in that environment.

I just wanted to add this post so that there would be a link in this thread to the other one in the event anyone wanted to pursue this.

-dex

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: DexterRiley

Gave you two stars for that.

If we find a way to stop cancer cells to stop eating efforts to communicate by "normal" cells that actually can treat cancer.

To be clear though we are talking about an ecosystem related to objects the size of cells, where there are predators and prey.

From my perspective we seem to engage in animism in modern society in a certain way.

I wanted to thank all members for responding and in relation the composure maintained.

ATS needs more members like you

top topics

<< 1   >>

join