It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISIS Syrian capital Raqqa hit by uprising, defections – reports

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
So are we seeing the internal destruction of ISIS in certain areas of Syria?

It seems about 200 ISIS fighters defected in order to help those fighting ISIS take back parts of Raqqa...

"About 200 Syrian militants of Daesh took the side of residents of Raqqa, which forced the terrorists to organize roadblocks at the entrance to the city," one source told Sputnik.

After heavy clashes with IS fighters on Sunday, its former members helped the locals secure at least five neighborhoods in the city, where the black IS flag has been replace with the national flags of Syria.

According to witness reports, Raqqa citizens now control the al-Dareiyeh, al-Ramileh, al-Ferdows, al-Ajili and al-Bakri neighborhoods.

www.rt.com...

Now if this would happen elsewhere with ISIS there may be a chance to get this situation under control sooner rather than later.

But I also have to wonder what should Syria do with those who fought for ISIS, but defected...I have my own personal thought on this, but I am interested to see what Syria does to handle defections if they become widespread.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: tsurfer2000h

Well, this is one shook up muddled up world, except for Lola ..

It's hard to say who should win, when everyone is wrong. So long that Islam remains an all encompassing political religion and its core doctorines strictly adhered to, that area/s will continue to be plagued with the logical progressions of a heap of bad ideas.

For the secular and innocent, for those who just want to live a normal happy life respecting others rights as their own. My heart goes out to them. Yes, they are the ones we should support and not just with happy thoughts and wishful thinking, they are the solution to the problem/s.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Bet they're tired of not being paid.
edit on 7-3-2016 by Leto2 because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Leto2
Exactly... while all the 'bomb the crap out of them' simplistic fools foam at the mouth the US and its allies have been waging an unrelenting war behind the scenes to quietly cut-off funding for ISIS. When your strategic model relies heavily on mercenaries your bank account becomes your Achilles heel.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

But I also have to wonder what should Syria do with those who fought for ISIS, but defected...I have my own personal thought on this, but I am interested to see what Syria does to handle defections if they become widespread.

It appears that Assad has offered amnesty as a path for those who defect.

Assad calls for elections and offers amnesty

On Tuesday, March 1st; Assad announced that his government would be open to granting amnesty to members of the Western and Arab backed opposition forces to help facilitate a more smooth election and peace process to hopefully bring the civil war closer to a final close.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't trust anyone who has been a member of Daesh, I would seriously be continuously thinking defectors or infiltrators? They are not to be trusted, end of.

I truly believe, if they are anywhere near as bad as they are being made out by the MSM, then every last one of them need to be exterminated.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:34 PM
link   

fair weather fanatics

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: elementalgrove

But will he follow through on it?

Giving amnesty is good sometimes, but in this case I don't think it is a good idea.

I wonder if the people of Syria are in agreement with this...I would think those places ISIS controls and the citizens they terrorized would have a problem with it?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Sure, big dinner!

Then he will lock the doors and set the place on fire ala Vlad Tepes

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

I wouldn't trust anyone who has been a member of Daesh, I would seriously be continuously thinking defectors or infiltrators?

And that is the problem...are they really defectors, or are they infiltrators?

How does one know?

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Cobaltic1978

It is nothing new with "turncoats" and history proves that. Have happened in every civil war for saving their own skins.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Seeing ISIS has a lot of none Syrian fighters ,I wonder if it may just be some of the foolish Syrian people that bought into the proxy SA/Turkey run ISIS group . This will have a speed effect to what many see as a inevitable outcome .I hear they are even training the kids in this conflict . Re-programming is going to be the big challenge to this cancer known as ISIS .

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Looks like the Wahhabi Islamists dream is not all its cracked up to be hey.

It's about time Islam had a reformation like Christianity did. Religion should never rule over everyday life at a state level.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:51 PM
link   
edit:
Sorry forgot IS is a multi billion dollar business for the US and the unending war on "terror".
edit on 7-3-2016 by the owlbear because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h

But will he follow through on it?

Giving amnesty is good sometimes, but in this case I don't think it is a good idea.

I wonder if the people of Syria are in agreement with this...I would think those places ISIS controls and the citizens they terrorized would have a problem with it?

I have talked with my buddy from Aleppo many times and he has stated that Assad has followed through with it for awhile now. This is just the latest declaration, it sounds like as long as they are Syrian they are given another chance.

Otherwise their option is to go back where they came from, which is why we see Daesh along the border of Turkey and Jordan.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Sorry friends to tell You that but the whole thing is just fake. Like others from today about ISIS attacking Saudi Arabia.

Twitter

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 06:03 PM
link   
If you are Assad offering amnesty is defintely the smartest route whether he means it or not. Get them to defect, execute them when the war is over so be it. It makes the fight easier. Telling them no mercy will make them hold out longer imo..

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: lightedhype
If you are Assad offering amnesty is defintely the smartest route whether he means it or not. Get them to defect, execute them when the war is over so be it. It makes the fight easier. Telling them no mercy will make them hold out longer imo..

Assad has given amnesty to other rebel groups throughout the war. Many of them have gone on to join with the Syrian army to fight against the rebels.

People want change over there, even Assad gets that. But I somehow doubt this war and ISIS control is the change the everyday Syrian on the street was imagining.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 10:20 PM
link   
The problem is that the region is chock full of people who think it's okay to rape, maim, and kill others based on their religious beliefs, and ISIS has had more than it's fair share of them. Even if ISIS suffered 90% defection rates, those defectors are still taking that mindset to whomever or wherever they end up. There is no shortage of like-minded groups of slightly different political bent to take them in.

posted on Mar, 9 2016 @ 07:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cobaltic1978
I wouldn't trust anyone who has been a member of Daesh, I would seriously be continuously thinking defectors or infiltrators? They are not to be trusted, end of.

I truly believe, if they are anywhere near as bad as they are being made out by the MSM, then every last one of them need to be exterminated.

Wait: many of those are involuntary conscripts who were probably told to 'join or die' or 'join or watch your family die'. And others bought the ISIS propaganda (for locals, not for foreigners) that they would clean up the corrupt regime of Assad, but of course IS was far worse.

Foreigners in ISIS, on the other hand, are all willful ideologues.

Failure to distinguish the fissures inside an enemy is a horrible mistake; don't let your hate blind yourself to a good chance for ameliorating the desperation in IS occupied Syria.

edit on 9-3-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-3-2016 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

top topics

join