It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Utah gay wedding expo connects couples, friendly businesses

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   
This is wonderful, however, separate from "equality in commerce".

No one ever forced anyone to have a business that sells to the public.

A business is a business. You sell a product, you sell to everyone.

The only thing wrong with forcing a business to sell to everyone is that it has to be forced.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
a reply to: Boadicea

I wonder how many Right wing Christian groups will show up to protest the "sodomites" "homos" and downfall of American culture? Like the Westburo Baptist Church folks.

Yes, I suppose there will always be "those" folks... which is also the American Way. But let them do what they will and hopefully those attending the expo will appropriately laugh in their faces and carry on!

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hazardous1408
a reply to: Edumakated

I'm black. I would not bake a cake for a klan rally.

I don't think that falls under D.L's.

Nobody is born as a clan member, it is, as some like to call Gayness, an absolute lifestyle choice.
Not protected.

I salute your decision not to cater to such Neanderthals too.

Actually, Yes - - in states that have non-discrimination laws you would be required to bake a cake for a person who is of the klan.

A standard cake you would make for anyone.

You are not required to decorate it in any way that is offensive to you.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Annee

The only thing wrong with forcing a business to sell to everyone is that it has to be forced.

No, absolutely not the "only thing wrong"...

It's about Liberty & Freedom to "choose".

If you're pro choice in some aspects and not others, you're not really pro choice.
You're a totalitarian.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:10 AM
link   

No, absolutely not the "only thing wrong"...

It's about Liberty & Freedom to "choose".

If you're pro choice in some aspects and not others, you're not really pro choice.
You're a totalitarian.

You chose to have a business.

No one stopped you from choosing to have a business.

However, you serve the public - - you serve the public - - all of them.
edit on 7-3-2016 by Annee because: (no reason given)

link   

originally posted by: Annee

I'm black. I would not bake a cake for a klan rally.

I don't think that falls under D.L's.

Nobody is born as a clan member, it is, as some like to call Gayness, an absolute lifestyle choice.
Not protected.

I salute your decision not to cater to such Neanderthals too.

Actually, Yes - - in states that have non-discrimination laws you would be required to bake a cake for a person who is of the klan.

A standard cake you would make for anyone.

You are not required to decorate it in any way that is offensive to you.

How true.

tribuneherald.net...

We learn something new everyday.

link   
a reply to: Hazardous1408

I disagree.
It's an Amygdala Hijack.

Nothing but an irrational fear based response.

No, that's a phobia.

Discrimination Laws are absolutely necessary.

Only for those who wish to force their will onto others under color of law at the point of a gun.

One day you may find out why. Hopefully you don't suffer from such an affront.

You presume too much by presuming I have not already...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand

Rainbow flags in businesses windows have been going on for years here in the UK, especially bars, clubs, etc.
In fact it's become so tolerant in my area that the two gay nightclubs we had have closed because there is no need to hide away anymore, nobody really has any issues...or if they do they are forced to keep their bigoted opinions to themselves.
Definite progress I've witnessed in my lifetime.

That's truly good to hear! Thank you for sharing.

That is what I want -- and expect -- to happen here as well. This is just one of the ways we have been conditioned to hate and fear that which we do not know and understand. Few things are as scary in the sunlight as they are in the shadows.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea

originally posted by: grainofsand

Rainbow flags in businesses windows have been going on for years here in the UK, especially bars, clubs, etc.
In fact it's become so tolerant in my area that the two gay nightclubs we had have closed because there is no need to hide away anymore, nobody really has any issues...or if they do they are forced to keep their bigoted opinions to themselves.
Definite progress I've witnessed in my lifetime.

That's truly good to hear! Thank you for sharing.

That is what I want -- and expect -- to happen here as well. This is just one of the ways we have been conditioned to hate and fear that which we do not know and understand. Few things are as scary in the sunlight as they are in the shadows.

Many LGBTQ exclusive businesses in the states have closed because the need is no longer there.

I'm pretty sure people here use rainbow flags and stickers in their windows too.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

"Equality in commerce" is a delusion -- forced or otherwise.

We cannot, no matter how hard we try, force anyone to give their best. It simply cannot be done. No matter how many laws are passed, how many fines we impose, how many individuals and families we destroy, or how many folks we throw in jail. And, of course, in the process harden the hearts of many who will react in negative ways rather than act in positive ways. We can, however, actively promote, encourage and incentivize businesses to give their best to all. And in so doing, slowly but surely open the hearts and minds of the misguided.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Honestly, I praise these people for coming up with a solution that doesn't involve Govt forcing others to action.

This really is how the US was setup.

Now, how can I get in there to pitch firearms for protecting these gay couple's? Hmmmm.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:26 AM
link   

We cannot, no matter how hard we try, force anyone to give their best. It simply cannot be done. No matter how many laws are passed, how many fines we impose, how many individuals and families we destroy, or how many folks we throw in jail. And, of course, in the process harden the hearts of many who will react in negative ways rather than act in positive ways. We can, however, actively promote, encourage and incentivize businesses to give their best to all. And in so doing, slowly but surely open the hearts and minds of the misguided.

No its not. It's simple. You have a business that sells to the public - - you sell to the public - - all of them.

No one forced anyone to have a business selling to the public.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
They won't drum up any business from me.

Because I will never marry again.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Now, how can I get in there to pitch firearms for protecting these gay couple's? Hmmmm.

Hmmm indeed... I don't suppose the old-fashioned shotgun weddings would be an issue for gay couples.... But keep at it! Where there's a will there's always a way...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:32 AM
link   

No its not. It's simple. You have a business that sells to the public - - you sell to the public - - all of them.

Gotcha. You have made your case that yes, you will in fact use the color of law and the barrel of a gun to force your will on others in the name of "equality of commerce." It cannot and therefore will not happen, because people can and will find ways to avoid being forced into involuntary servitude and/or will not give their best service, but okay.

I have made my case otherwise. Our words will stand on their own merit.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:34 AM
link   

It is not that simple. Should a gay baker be forced to bake a cake for Westboro baptist church? We can always think of examples where people should not be compelled to go against their convictions.

As a minority, I'd never patronize a business that doesn't want my money. However, I don't believe government should be forcing that business to serve people they don't want to serve. The free market will deal with that business without government intervention.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Riiiiiight, so almost 10 years after Jackie Robinson was "allowed" to be signed up to an all white baseball team, they were this close to letting Rosa Parks keep her seat on the bus, or this close to not kicking Martin Luther King Jr. out of an all white restaurant? I don't think so.

People should have the right to sue a business for mistreatment, AND find another business who wants the opportunity. You can do both simultaneously. Matter of fact, that's pretty much what has happened in every case here in the U.S.
edit on 7-3-2016 by kaylaluv because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
They won't drum up any business from me.

Because I will never marry again.

I'm with you there!!!

I adore my hubby, and I hope and pray we grow old and senile together... but if that doesn't happen, I'm on my own and that's exactly how I want it to be!

We have talked with our kids about starting a wedding venue for affordable outdoor weddings. Even talked about one or all of us becoming ordained to perform the ceremonies. There is a definite need for such places, and it would be a fun project for our retirement years, and something we could help build for our kids and grandkids.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Gotcha. You have made your case that yes, you will in fact use the color of law and the barrel of a gun to force your will on others in the name of "equality of commerce." It cannot and therefore will not happen, because people can and will find ways to avoid being forced into involuntary servitude and/or will not give their best service, but okay.

I have made my case otherwise. Our words will stand on their own merit.

Yes, absolutely I will. ABSOLUTELY!

My mom was disabled back in the 50s before any non-discrimination laws.

I know all the excuses of why you can't serve the disabled. Started learning that at 5 years old.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:43 AM
link   

As a minority, I'd never patronize a business that doesn't want my money.

Thank you for making that point. In my view, it is empowering to you -- as a minority -- to decide where and how you spend your hard-earned dollars, and you have every right to discriminate against those who would discriminate against you... and to spread the word to your family and friends... and so on.

However, I don't believe government should be forcing that business to serve people they don't want to serve. The free market will deal with that business without government intervention.

And much more effectively -- when given the freedom and opportunity to do so! Denying them business hits them where it hurts... and it's all voluntary.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join