It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help and advice for setting up a Youtube channel, any pro's out there?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I got no advice, but just popping in to say, i'd subscribe for sure, especially for the cooking, seeing as your food talk has made me hungry a few times in this place.

Good luck with it all, and drop us a notice when you're up and ready.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

I got no advice, but just popping in to say, i'd subscribe for sure, especially for the cooking, seeing as your food talk has made me hungry a few times in this place.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 03:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: nonspecific

originally posted by: chr0naut

I have been thinking for some time now about setting up a Youtube channel and am looking for advice on the following things.

Best free editing software.

Best type of camcorder and should I use 2 and combine the footage?

Revenue, is it even possible to generate real cash and what is the best way to go about this.

To give a bit more insight my idea is this, Every day I do stuff, either cooking unusual foods, baking breads and whatnot or making stuff out of wood in my little workshop. I also invent things or make cheap alternatives to otherwise expensive stuff and come up with quite a few life hacks.

I figured that as I am doing these things anyway I might as well make a vid to go online and over the years would end up with a whole load of vids that when added up might generate a little cash. I have also seen that a lot of youtubers get sent products to review and then keep and I like the idea of free stuff.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

My son has a couple of game review channels but they generate zero revenue (not enough views) and the content is rather patchy and amateur.

I've also seen other channels with multiple studios, script writers, incredible hardware and vast $$.

But I think that content is king. It doesn't really matter how slick the production is, if you have something that people want, and you advertise its presence properly, you will get views.

Consider all those whose channel just "unboxes" stuff. You don't need to waste money on software and hardware if a webcam and something like Windows Movie Maker does the job.

Just my two cents, I have no real experience, just an opinion.

PS: PM me when you get your channel up. I'd probably like to subscribe.

it is valued and thank you.

As I said I have no delusions of fame and fortune it was just an idea and the cash is a bonus if any.

I was watching a guy give a review of a pretty cheapish power tool as an honest review and ended up watching some more of his stuff, a few vids later and he was talking about how he had been sent a £250 power tool by a company to review and he only had about 30,000 views per vid and had been going about 2 years. It got me thinking that if you find the right niche and do it well then sponsorship and freebies would be worth far more than crappy ads that annoy folks and give you 5 pence per thousand.

I also really like the idea of showing people how to do things, I will not be around forever but I am a pretty clever and ingenious chap and am thinking about preserving some of my genius for future generations

I don't like the thought of people spending money if they do not have to as most do not have enough, I have a 10 part epic in mind entitled "how to eat flour in interesting ways" it's cheap but it has so many uses and over time might make a few pence and inspire a few cheapskates.

They do sound more interesting than a lot of other YouTube going concerns.

I actually suggested to my son that he have a channel where they gatecrash peoples homes and use, then review their bathroom facilities, suggesting that this would get more views than another game review.

Feel free to steal the idea if you wish, I don't think my son would ever do it (teens are so socially orthodox, even when they think they are rebels).

edit on 7/3/2016 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 04:01 PM
link   

I have been thinking for some time now about setting up a Youtube channel and am looking for advice on the following things.

Best free editing software.

Best type of camcorder and should I use 2 and combine the footage?

Revenue, is it even possible to generate real cash and what is the best way to go about this.

To give a bit more insight my idea is this, Every day I do stuff, either cooking unusual foods, baking breads and whatnot or making stuff out of wood in my little workshop. I also invent things or make cheap alternatives to otherwise expensive stuff and come up with quite a few life hacks.

I figured that as I am doing these things anyway I might as well make a vid to go online and over the years would end up with a whole load of vids that when added up might generate a little cash. I have also seen that a lot of youtubers get sent products to review and then keep and I like the idea of free stuff.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

My son has a couple of game review channels but they generate zero revenue (not enough views) and the content is rather patchy and amateur.

I've also seen other channels with multiple studios, script writers, incredible hardware and vast $$.

But I think that content is king. It doesn't really matter how slick the production is, if you have something that people want, and you advertise its presence properly, you will get views.

Consider all those whose channel just "unboxes" stuff. You don't need to waste money on software and hardware if a webcam and something like Windows Movie Maker does the job.

Just my two cents, I have no real experience, just an opinion.

PS: PM me when you get your channel up. I'd probably like to subscribe.

it is valued and thank you.

As I said I have no delusions of fame and fortune it was just an idea and the cash is a bonus if any.

I was watching a guy give a review of a pretty cheapish power tool as an honest review and ended up watching some more of his stuff, a few vids later and he was talking about how he had been sent a £250 power tool by a company to review and he only had about 30,000 views per vid and had been going about 2 years. It got me thinking that if you find the right niche and do it well then sponsorship and freebies would be worth far more than crappy ads that annoy folks and give you 5 pence per thousand.

I also really like the idea of showing people how to do things, I will not be around forever but I am a pretty clever and ingenious chap and am thinking about preserving some of my genius for future generations

I don't like the thought of people spending money if they do not have to as most do not have enough, I have a 10 part epic in mind entitled "how to eat flour in interesting ways" it's cheap but it has so many uses and over time might make a few pence and inspire a few cheapskates.

They do sound more interesting than a lot of other YouTube going concerns.

I actually suggested to my son that he have a channel where they gatecrash peoples homes and use, then review their bathroom facilities, suggesting that this would get more views than another game review.

Feel free to steal the idea if you wish, I don't think my son would ever do it (teens are so socially orthodox, even when they think they are rebels).

I will stick to what I know but thank you.

Some guys out there have made a damn good living out of gaming reviews but that does not mean that anyone can do it.

I will stick to what I know although I must admit that a lot is from learning from other youtubers.

This guy started off making little woodworking vids but is now a ledgend in his small niche field.

Saying that this one vid has over 2.6 million views and the machine he made in his basement has now been adopted by a Japanese firm with him as a consultant and partner. The guy only wanted to solve a problem and make things easier for himself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join