It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders - 'When You're White You Don't Know What It's Like To Be Poor'

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:55 PM
link   
I see this angry defense every time racism is brought up. It's too angry. It's a projection people have of being called racist. Then you have a white person using the term "whitey" in a sarcastic way-- THAT is the racist element. For them to say "whitey" means they imagine someone else, lower class, using that term to describe white people. I have a friend who uses the term "whitey" every time he imagines walking home alone at night. He thinks "let's get whitey". Racist projections. That's what I see here.

Times are tough for all working class people. Bernie recognizes that. Don't get mad if he points out institutional racism. That's a legit problem too.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
I see this angry defense every time racism is brought up. It's too angry. It's a projection people have of being called racist. Then you have a white person using the term "whitey" in a sarcastic way-- THAT is the racist element. For them to say "whitey" means they imagine someone else, lower class, using that term to describe white people. I have a friend who uses the term "whitey" every time he imagines walking home alone at night. He thinks "let's get whitey". Racist projections. That's what I see here.

Times are tough for all working class people. Bernie recognizes that. Don't get mad if he points out institutional racism. That's a legit problem too.

Another deflect, to label WHITEY as the 'racist' here. When Bernie said this.

"When you’re white, you don’t know what it’s like to be living in a ghetto. You don’t know what it’s like to be poor. You don’t know what it’s like to be hassled when you walk down the street or you get dragged out of a car.

RACIST and WRONG on ALL.....POINTS

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

It's not a deflection, just an observation of those who use the term whitey with sarcastic anger behind it.

Why do you have a problem acknowledging institutional racism?

edit on 8-3-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualzombie

The unemployment rate is hovering around 5% and income levels are up and steadily rising.

Historical Income Tables

Yet times are tough?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:34 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

Oh, brother. Nope, times are easy peasy. No problems here. We're all in great shape! Not a single poor person anywhere!

Does that load of horse manure fit more into your view? Didn't mean to offend your delicate nature with "times are tough" statement. Be careful with this guy, people. Whatever you do... do not suggest imestay are oughtay.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:35 PM
link   

The US government tells us 5 and that is bull...you know that already. As far as wages, no, they have been stagnant over the last 10-15 years with inflation and the price of simply consumer goods skyrocketing.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualzombie
a reply to: BatheInTheFountain

It's not a deflection, just an observation of those who use the term whitey with sarcastic anger behind it.

Why do you have a problem acknowledging institutional racism?

I oppose institutional racism

Now show me WHERE the institutional racism IS...and how Bernie's statements relate to it

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: matafuchs

The US government tells us 5 and that is bull...you know that already. As far as wages, no, they have been stagnant over the last 10-15 years with inflation and the price of simply consumer goods skyrocketing.

Bingo

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Another example of Institutional Racism. I don't care if your black, white, brown or #in rainbow, in modern western society you have all the tools you need at your disposal, it's the choice you make that defines who you are.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Oh, brother. Nope, times are easy peasy. No problems here. We're all in great shape! Not a single poor person anywhere!

Does that load of horse manure fit more into your view? Didn't mean to offend your delicate nature with "times are tough" statement. Be careful with this guy, people. Whatever you do... do not suggest imestay are oughtay.

You didn't offend me. Stupidity is ubiquitous. I was insinuating you likely don't have a proper grasp on reality.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

Why is it bull? Because the government told you?

Stagnant for you maybe. If you look at the census documents I linked to, it seems you are wrong. I am welcome to any counter evidence however. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I'm not going to take your word for it.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   
a reply to: Konduit

Another example of Institutional Racism. I don't care if your black, white, brown or #in rainbow, in modern western society you have all the tools you need at your disposal, it's the choice you make that defines who you are.

Very true statement. Look at Oprah. Born a woman, black, poor, to a single mother in the south—all of which apparently determines the outcome—and now look at her.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Pick your battles. When someone says times are tough for all working class, you really need to jump on that?

edit on 8-3-2016 by spiritualzombie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Pick your battles. When someone says times are tough for all working class, you really need to jump on that?

When it's wrong? Yes. Hell yes.

Do you not like your job?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I like it just fine and consider myself very fortunate. I know many without work, without income, and for them it is indeed tough times. I got no complaints for myself.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 05:24 PM
link   

I like it just fine and consider myself very fortunate. I know many without work, without income, and for them it is indeed tough times. I got no complaints for myself.

What are their reasons for landing themselves in such troubles?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 07:14 PM
link   

I am white and grew up dirt poor. Now 21+ years in the USAF and very successful. I know a metric sh*t ton of poor white folk. Sanders is a race whore who'll say anything just like Hillary who I know personally, and she is super racist, going way back into Arkansas where I grew up. Democrats used to be the Anti-Civil rights party, until Lyndon B. Johnson came up with a scheme to pull the black communities in under the Great Society plan. I believe his words were "I'll have them N*ggers voting Democrat for the next 200 years..." Look it up. Oh BTW...Lincoln, that guy who freed the slaves...he was a Republican. Welfare is a form of passive slavery keeping true progress just out of reach or placating already lazy people. Finally, the word N*gger comes from the King James Bible, to be N*ggardly is synonymous with lazy, unmotivated, destitute, ect. Negro, Negroid, ect came after the slang term of the Biblical assignment of this verbiage. Hence the whips...that was the viewpoint of the Southern Democrats. I grew up under them, particularly Bill and Hillary. I couldn't stand racism and saw the light after I got out and saw the real world. Grow the hell up people and quit regurgitating the same B.S. you think you know. Basement experts can hang...

edit on 8 3 16 by IridescentPhoenix because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:53 PM
link   

I hope this kind of thing doesn't surprise you - Right now, all candidates with exception of Trump are trying to say whatever will get them more votes.

Shame he hasn't met my Dad before saying this - my dad was homeless before. All he owned was a radio at the time - no food stamps, no government assistance, and the only help he had was from the people that knew of his situation. It scares me that politicians are going around saying this...mess.

-foss

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: avgguy

He wasn't wrong though most white people don't know what it's like to grow up extremely poor and in ghettos. As sad as it is it is still a fact that if you go to the poor area of any town in America it will be predominantly black. Not only will you find very few white people but the ones that are there have to act black or they get ridiculed or shunned even. I see these things on a daily basis as apart of my job. So no I'm not just generalizing or being racist.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: conscientiousobserver

Poor white people just hang out in different types of "ghettos". You know, trailer parks and such. And they often hang out in smaller, more rural towns. At least that's what I've noticed of upstate NY.

<< 30  31  32    34  35 >>

join