It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China has their own Sweetman: J-20/J-31 going on Chinese aircraft carriers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:11 AM
link   
Yin Zhuo is a name that has been cropping up a lot lately when it comes to stealth aircraft and the Chinese media. He has been giving opinions on anything from the B-21 to F-22 when it comes to we Yanqi and even on the Russian PAK-FA. He has his pretty strong opinions and they seem to be orthogonally aligned with the reality I know at least. In fact, he seems to be filling the same role as Sweetman does here in the West. Except, I have to say it, Zaph! Sorry! Yin Zhuo appears to know less than even Sweetman.

Well, YZ has been up to it again. This time, he's saying the J-20 and J-31 will end up on the Chinese aircraft carriers on a CNR broadcast interview.

A lot of things got mangled and he called the J-20 & J-31 *4th* generation aircraft. Or at least that's what the translator did.

I sincerely doubt the 20 will end up on the carrier deck.

OTOH, I know they did a bunch of fitting (?) with a mockup J-31 on the mockup aircraft carrier for clearances and whatnot. So, I can believe the J-31 will end up there.

However...oy. YZ + BS = more headache.

www.defencetalk.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:19 AM
link   
a reply to: anzha

Heck, They hacked into out government computers and stole designs, and a lot of of companies have China making stuff and stealing those designs as well.

With all that ability they were able to match our military hardware pretty quick. Can we all say thank you to Bill Clinton for sighing those two back to back 20 years trade extensions with them. China now has everything we have and they didn't even have to do any designs or testing we and the rest of the world did it all for them.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Don't they have to actually build some aircraft carriers first?

I know they have a carrier they bought, the Liaoning. But it's a whole 'nother cup of tea to actually build one of those monsters. Even a small one is scarily complex. ...and they've no experience to draw on.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:26 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:27 AM
link   

My favorite part of the linked article:

The West has questioned China’s defensive defense policy for it is building a second aircraft carrier entirely using domestic technology. In his previous state visits, China’s President Xi Jinping stressed the idea “Never do to others what you would not like them to do to you.” Read more: www.defencetalk.com...

"domestic technology"? Doesn't he mean stolen technology? The last line above is the height of hypocracy.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Boscowashisnamo

I know their knowledge is not Domestic or home grown Technology it is just the stuff they stole and now claim it for their own.

I guess the US and Europe did the same thing at some time or another.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Hi!

Will they actually finish it? Or if it's finished will they find out that developing the training and other associated things will be more trouble than it's actually worth?

Regardless of what they may delude themselves into thinking, they, the Chinese, are not a global power. Certainly not to the extent that the United States is.

The Sovs couldn't develop carrier born airpower past some VTOL Yaks, and helicopters, and they had almost sixty years to do it.

Maybe the Chinese can do it, but I have severe doubts.

But, y'all know a lot more about this than I do...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

99% chance they'll finish it.

They are building two now. There's going to be at least five in the near future.

They'll be updated version of the Varyag:

thedragonstales.blogspot.com...

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Everything I've ever seen about the J-31 is that it's never going to enter Chinese service. It's supposed to be their version of the F-35 for export to nations that can't afford or have access to the -35.

I don't think there's any way a J-20 is going on a deck, even a STOBAR. That's pretty spindly landing gear for a deck.
edit on 3/7/2016 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
Everything I've ever seen about the J-31 is that it's never going to enter Chinese service. It's supposed to be their version of the F-35 for export to nations that can't afford or have access to the -35.

Until China decides that it can't afford the J-20 or wants a naval air arm.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: RadioRobert

They'll do like they always have and artificially deal with their economy until they can pay for them. They have J-15s for their carriers.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 11:31 AM
link   
And just because they have aircraft carriers, doesn't mean that they'll be effective in using them. Combat operations from the carrier is excruciatingly complex. It may be a mere show of force, but not likely to impact any actual combat situation.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I've seen about 1/4th of the info stating the Chinese will eventually buy some J-31s. The official sources are mum though.

I'm also hearing there are nontrivial differences between the J-31 and the FC-31.

However, unless the Chinese gov buys some, its exportability will be questionable at best.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: RadioRobert

They'll do like they always have and artificially deal with their economy until they can pay for them. They have J-15s for their carriers.

Three years ago they were still building MiG-21's (J-7). If they don't end up buying some number of the J-31, it's because it doesn't work as well as advertised.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Double high.

The Sino Sweetman strikes again.

www.ecns.cn...

The next carrier will be based on the Varyag, but larger.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Its like putting F5 landing gear on an F14...Maybe a long phone call to Sukhoi is in order..

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 01:31 AM
link   

I'm surprised they can't build these carriers faster. I mean, heck...they build 90% of the crap here in the United States...even the Dell computers that are on board our own aircraft carriers!

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I meant to ask this last night.

Who is this Sweetman you're referencing. I'm guessing he's something of a dunce? Or am I reading your posts wrong?

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:37 AM
link   

He's a defense blogger/journalist. He's usually convinced he's right, no matter what, and if it's related to the F-35 it is automatically bad, no matter what.

posted on Mar, 8 2016 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Aviation Journalist lmgtfy.com...

Not very popular among aviation aficionados- but who is?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join