It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian billionaire sentenced to death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well. The title tells all. In reading this, and having limited knowledge about the culture and social values of the Iranian lifestyle, I scratch my haed.

I am curious, if the U.S.A. we're to hold the same types of punishment for white collar crimes; would we see a significant drop in big corp. corruption and banking faux pas?

Iranian billionaire Babak Zanjani has been sentenced to death for corruption, authorities said Sunday.

Zanjani and two others were convicted of embezzling billions of dollars from the national oil company, judiciary spokesman Gholam Hossein Ejei said.

One of the charges he faces is "corruption on earth," which carries the death penalty, according to Iranian state TV.

The oil mogul was sanctioned by the EU and the United States for helping Iran evade sanctions.

He was arrested in December 2013.

L I N K Y
edit on 6-3-2016 by ReadLeader because: faux pas

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: ReadLeader

would we see a significant drop in big corp. corruption and banking faux pas?

We shouldn't kill anyone. Long jail, yes.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:37 AM
link   
He should have come to America. We can't kill be killing job creator's here

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I am curious, if the U.S.A. we're to hold the same types of punishment for white collar crimes; would we see a significant drop in big corp. corruption and banking fuogh paws?

I believe the term is "faux pas".

In America, the banks and corporations own the government, so not likely to happen. However, for the sake of argument, it would certainly change the landscape of America within a generation. Whether or not it would change for the better is up for debate.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: EightTF3

If we gave the death sentence for financial corruption here in the U.S., Wall street would be a ghost town.

And i agree with no killing/ long jail, BUT these bastards should be in REAL prison. Meaning no "club fed", sharing cells with the rugged criminals from the streets. The typical businessman wouldn't last a day.

THAT would be justice. ( and would actually be an effective deterrent for white collar criminals.
edit on 6-3-2016 by AgarthaSeed because: Grammar

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Should have done the same thing to all the Bankers and politicians involved in the 08 crash

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Klass, thanks. I repaired my faux pas. Thanks! Dang predictive text..

Thanks for posting!

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I get a kick out of the part where he helped Iran evade sanctions....surely that did involve corruption somehow.....
It goes to show you are only valued till you are of no use to the controllers...this is a universal law....
www.yahoo.com...

edit on 6-3-2016 by bandersnatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I am curious, if the U.S.A. we're to hold the same types of punishment for white collar crimes; would we see a significant drop in big corp. corruption and banking faux pas?

Please wait until the USA's justice system isn't corrupt before calling for more death penalty.

Or at least until the rest of Big Pharma joins Shkreli in court.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I'll give THAT one to Islam..CORRUPTION ON EARTH...has a catchy name too,we need US Corruption on Earth laws...
Think tanks would HATE that one.
edit on 6-3-2016 by cavtrooper7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 01:22 PM
link   
My take is they gave him carte blanche to move their oil....any way he could...
Now they want to silence and strip him of anything he may have gained, thus killing two potential stones with one bird....
Ill bet a dollar to a doughnut they don't ever trace all his dough either...the offshore bankers will just keep it....win win for them....

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 02:45 PM
link   
No! He's just a crook. Not a billionaire. Look on it this way, a poor bank robber robs a bank of a million. When he's prosecuted they don't say a millionaire bank robber, no, he's just a robber and this guys no exception. Just cos he's robbed a billion does not make him a billionaire.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: bandersnatch

Sounds like Corruption on earth to me.
WHOLE COUNTRY even.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
No! He's just a crook. Not a billionaire. Look on it this way, a poor bank robber robs a bank of a million. When he's prosecuted they don't say a millionaire bank robber, no, he's just a robber and this guys no exception. Just cos he's robbed a billion does not make him a billionaire.

No he wa s a iranian patsy. and now they will seize his money to fill their own coffers.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 04:26 PM
link   

its a tough call.. on one hand do they deserve death? but on the other.. can they really be trusted to stay alive?

keeping them in prison without chance of being released seems a waste of resources; surely anyone guilty of crimes against the entire earth, or humanity, should have nowhere to run.

it would certainly be a good deterrent.. but would likely be the sources of many false accusations as well, putting major stress on the judicial system..

maybe we could make an island in the middle of the ocean and get the Saudi's to oversee the imprisonment and "fair treatment" of the worlds greatest criminals - they sure are good at punishment.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Sounds to me they were using him to avoid sanctions and now that sanctions are lifted they decided he's no longer of use to them. In order to get around sanctions would have required him to move funds and make it seem the oil was not irainian. So they are prosecuting him for exactly what they needed him to do.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Does this mean there IS an argument for a theocratic gov't?

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I am curious, if the U.S.A. we're to hold the same types of punishment for white collar crimes;

Sounds like he screwed the oil companies over, which would get you arrested or killed here in the US as well.

Zanjani and two others were convicted of embezzling billions of dollars from the national oil company, j

Despite being Iran gov;t owned, I'm sure those billions hit those on top a lot harder then those on the bottom of the hierarchy which is likely why the death penalty?

edit on 13331America/ChicagoSun, 06 Mar 2016 18:13:33 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 05:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: nwtrucker

Does this mean there IS an argument for a theocratic gov't?

Not from my perspective. Iran is as much the hypocrite as any other theocracy has been throughout history.

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Agreed. It was in jest.

top topics

join