It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tsunami - A Marxist Perspective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I didn't pick the title of this, I just posted what they said.

This is the first person that I have seen publically make
these statements. She says she'll give because the people
need the help, but she resents it because their governments
screwed up and many of the lives lost could have been
saved. She makes some interesting points. I don't
agree fully with her, but I understand some of her
frustration. Bailing out those companies that make bad
business decisions .... that stinks.

www.canadafreepress.com...

Excerpt

The Ant and the Tsunami Victims: A Marxist Perspective
Nancy Salvato,

January 10, 2005

Bring on the hate mail. I know I’ll be receiving plenty of it from the people who don’t want to hear what I’m going to say. To begin with, I’m tired of the hard working people in the United States playing Atlas to those who don’t plan beyond the moment or to those who believe that the rest of the world exists to bail them out when they encounter disaster.

Government spending of citizens’ hard-earned tax dollars to bail out every victim of disaster, poor business practice, or persons lacking in motive to overcome adversity has led to a greatly expanded welfare state and unnecessary regulation of private industry predicated on the idea that the government knows the best way to spend our money and that we exist to take care of those "deemed" unable to meet the demands of society as we know it.

It has just come to my attention that Kerry Sieh, a professor of Geology at California Institute of Technology, "repeatedly warned Indonesian officials that an earthquake and tsunami would soon strike their shores." Because these officials weren’t acting on the warnings, he and his teams began warning people directly. Unfortunately, he couldn’t reach all of the people in time.

Now I have complete and utter sympathy for the people who have suffered and lost loved ones due to this tragedy, but I also feel resentment that because their government didn’t heed the warnings and that other countries have to bail them out.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg.....

Read the rest of her article here -
www.canadafreepress.com...

Geologist gave repeated alerts www.timesonline.co.uk...

[edit on 1/11/2005 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 11 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Well, flyersfan, she does bring up some very good points. And, I sure don't consider myself Marxist.

But this is just the tip of the iceberg. On any given day, you can be sure that people are rebuilding their homes in areas of known mud slides, hurricane force winds, and tornado alleys. People are eating fast foods, not taking care of their bodies, and driving cars irresponsibly. While it is no concern of mine that anyone should want to do such things, it becomes my burden when the government pays the disaster relief or Medicaid Costs of those who choose to put themselves in harm's way or allows exorbitant punitive damages to be awarded, raising everyone’s insurance rates.

We should not bail out individuals who do not use "common sense" or corporations like Chrysler, who does not practice fiscal responsibility. Who can say what might’ve happened to GM and Ford had we let events unfold as a true Capitalist society mandates? We should not regulate some areas, but leave others up to chance. The government should not involve itself in areas of private industry--period.

Also, here is her think about the geologist's warning:
www.timesonline.co.uk...

join