It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31 intact burials unearthed at large Mycenaean cemetery :

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 09:38 PM
link   

An extensive Mycenaean cemetery with 31 undisturbed burials containing numerous items of jewellery and several different types of ceramic vases, including 12 ornate Mycenaean drinking cups or kylikes, has been unearthed by Greek archaeologists at the Loggas site near Elati in Kozani (Macedonia), a short distance from ancient Aiani.

"The Mycenaean presence in Upper Macedonia is now well established by the discovery of several settlement types throughout the region", says archaeologist Georgia Karamitrou-Mentesidi. The site at Elati spans some 45 ha. of which less that 2 ha. have been excavated to date. The cemetery itself is located along the banks of the Aliakmon river and occupies around 5 ha. of land of which only 0.5 ha. has been excavated. The 31 burials appear to belong primarily to the Late Bronze Age (1600-1100 BC), though archaeologists believe some may be considerably earlier in date. According to Ms. Karamitrou-Mentesidi, the unlooted cist graves were lined with stone slabs and contained both jewellery (bronze rings, beads of amber) as well as abundant pottery. Bowls, jugs, drinking cups and amphorae make up most of the 47 ceramic vessels found in the graves.

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

The good news is the tombs were largely intact and un-looted through out all these centuries
but those cups looked almost too heavy to be used by the elderly.

Note related to the above but
Large Roman winery, baths exposed in Jerusalem

Read more at: archaeologynewsnetwork.blogspot.jp...
Follow us: @ArchaeoNewsNet on Twitter | groups/thearchaeologynewsnetwork/ on Facebook

posted on Mar, 5 2016 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Spider879
Nice post there Spider,
s and f

posted on Mar, 6 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   
Great find! I wonder if those were their best chinaware or stuff that no-one no longer wanted, or were specially made. Imagine what life must have been like if those were the most valuable possessions.

posted on Mar, 7 2016 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I realize that we learn a lot from opening up these grave sites. This I know.

But it just seems wrong to do it. I don't want some future archeologist digging me up in two or three thousand years and planting me in some dark dingy museum storage drawer.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

Unless your grave is full of gold I wouldn't worry too much on this

Awesome find, I wonder if these guys were just normal average joes, and how far north Mycenae had control of/occupied.

posted on Mar, 10 2016 @ 09:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Sparta

Perhaps they were what would pass for middle class in their time, so yeah kinda average Joe and Jolene

top topics

join